Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Weird EV mode glitch in PHEV

nlee

I got back in the car after a walk in the Berwyns yesterday. About 4C, 28 miles of range, no heater windscreen, rear window heater or seats on. In EV mode, ICE did not start. About 4 miles in, I noticed the dash said EV mode but the EV car icon was not displayed and the consumption meter was at the very bottom of the range. ICE was definitely not running from listening and from the display on the MM screen. In fact I was going downhill on the Horseshoe Pass and the power meter was in the charge area.

When I finished the journey the summary screen showed 84% EV time, also shown in the MyT app with a whole section of downhill shown as non-EV (grey line) on the map.

The ICE did not kick in over the whole journey. All a bit weird.

• Like 1

Nigel, it sounds like the ICE did kick in but I’d have expected it to show on the ‘power screen’ on the multi media. The ICE can sometimes decide to fire if it has not been used for some time and the system wants to circulate the fuel and run the engine.
If the braking effect of the energy recovery when descending a steep hill is not enough the car will start the ICE to add some additional braking. This has happened to me regularly when the tracking Battery was full but also a couple of times when the decent was very steep, this seems normal operation.

• Like 1

Noticed this too as Ernie says. Steep down hill run and the ICE cones on for engine braking purposes but does not show on the driver MFD, which still shows EV mode. 

Still shows EV mode even when the ICE very occassionally kicks in for no reason other than it hasn't been run for a while, or, I've pressed the front defogger.

Bit weird but not an issue for me.

Thanks both. Not a big deal for me but always good to understand the reasons.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nlee said:

Thanks both. Not a big deal for me but always good to understand the reasons.

Like me I need to at least try to understand before the 'mind worms' take over.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links