Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2ZR-FAE or 3ZR-FAE

Dax1970

Hi guys,

About to plunge into Toyota world, please help me not to make mistake while deciding between 2 engines.

2ZR-FAE or 3ZR-FAE in estate car, mostly highway driving.  Years looking used car are 2015-2018, up to 70k miles ...... Reliability is the main point/key for me.

Speed or peppiness is not really necessary

TIA!

cheers

On 1/25/2022 at 4:30 PM, Dax1970 said:

Speed or peppiness is not really necessary

I've meant this for car not for reply 🙂

Here in the UK, we only had the 3ZR-FAE (2.0L) for first phase at least until 2011. Then the 3ZR-FAE was dropped. This is because the 2ZR-FAE (1.8) and 3ZR-FAE are close is power, the 3ZR has a little more torque, the 2ZR has better emissions and economy on paper. Both are Valvematic. You may have to pay higher tax for the 3ZR depending on your territory. You didn't say if you are looking at auto or manual. I have the 2ZR manual estate and it's been fine in most situations. If you are carrying a bit of weight more often, then the 3ZR may be better. By coincidence I walk by someone local to me, who owns a black 2010 3ZR estate near me in south east London, the other day (it is garaged). He was driving out. I was going to ask him about the car, but I didn't want to seem intrusive. 

I screen captured some information I had from long ago.

image.thumb.png.6a4585ac23304dc9a515913721fccdb3.png  image.thumb.png.c438ad5056de0c3af39833279675457c.png 

• Like 1

Hi Konrad, thanks for reply, I'm from Luxembourg and I do pay bit more tax for 2.0 :(,.. still not that much to make it crucial while deciding. power wise both engines suits my needs. here most of 2.0's are paired with auto and 1.8's with manual. Diesel is not considered by me.

Long time ago I had 2008 1.3 Yaris bought new and driven to 85.000 km only, sadly I sold that car back in 2018 as we needed bigger car.

So this time I have decided to go for Avensis and reliable engine .. far far away from Insignia's and alike endeavors/money pits driving now....

cheers,

• Like 1

Since your country has high motorway speeds, the 3ZR would be the better choice - in manual. The CVT should be okay, but is known to send the revs high, especially on inclines. The manual 3ZR has slightly taller gearing than the 2ZR, so slightly less revs. The CVT in the highest 'gear' is even more relaxed when not asking for power. 

On my walk today, I spoke to the man with a 2010 black 3ZR TR tourer CVT. He told me he used to own an earlier 2.0L Avensis, and on his way to holiday, that previous Avensis 'blew up'. So he had it towed to a garage at the holiday location. He bought the TR there when he saw it on the forecourt, with only 12 miles on it. He said he never had any problems with it and he is on 48,000 miles. He only drives it, so I assume he takes it to a garage to have it serviced. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links