Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo battery 35 Ah

haelewyn

Any of you who also got the Aygo delivered with a 35 Ah Battery

I would be surprised if I am the only one....

But I am also surprised they made it like this.

I don't see the issue to be honest. The original factory fitted Battery has enough cold cranking amps for starting. The thin engine oil used, means there's little resistance on the starter motor, even during very cold weather.

If you wanted a slightly higher capacity Battery, then you can't go wrong with a Bosch S4, which has 44Ah.

At the end of the day, whatever car and Battery combo you drive, it's good habit not to run auxiliary equipment without the engine on.

What's more : i will have to make a huge effort to get a 35 Ah one again as they aren't sold in the places where I checked. Slightly bigger capacity it will be !

Looks to me like they got the small Battery from the back of a Prius or Auris and put it in. These are not known for aging perfectly.

I looked up a replacement for the Aygo : didnt find the 35 Ah one.

Looking for a Battery for an auris hybrid, I do find 35 Ah batteries. With 240 A EN .. but in the Auris hybrid they don't have to start the engine I thought.  They are less than 20 cm wide, bit square.

I used the heated seats I had installed regularly but now I start to become a bit reluctant to push the button. I can never believe this Battery is going to last 12 years as I would kind of hope from a Toyota. For the city bug, buying the parts was done by Peugeot, I read. Must be their choice then.. can't believe Toyota saddled me up with this.

Engine oil : checked for the first time, car has 1400 km on the counter. Still thin and no usage yet. I do make the small engine work.. Average consumption is at 5.45 l/100 km now. Hope this goes down in summer.

The tray under the battery still leaves space for a 50 percent bigger one.

But just bought this car in November... I will use the battery as long as it works fine. Car starts well enough so that is not an issue.

Lead acid batteries deteriorate with use, age and storage conditions, so 12 years would be pushing it.

I change mine every 4-5 years. Not because I have problems with them at that age, but as a preventative measure.

Internal resistance increases as the Battery wears and can put extra strain on the alternator. Changing the Battery earlier than you might think, keeps everything happy.

• Like 1

My Mk1 came with a 35Ah Battery when I bought it in 2010 and so did my Mk2 bought new in 2020.

After a couple of years I replaced the Battery in my Mk1 with the largest that would fit (cold climate diesel spec) and will replace the Battery in my Mk2 with the same size in a few years time too. Like fordulike I prefer to change batteries as a preventative maintenance measure rather than 'in a panic' when my car won't start on a winters day. I always go for a reputable manufacturer (not a Halfrauds own name) such as Varta.

I've never had a battery last 12 years in any car I've ever owned, even the 120Ah/900CCA battery in my Audi 'only' lasted 8 years...

• Thanks 1

I think these Yuasa batteries Toyota puts in as a standard (in some cars, not all I guess) get really high usage years..
I think 10 years for a Battery is not an exception. Probably they last longer when the car is parked in a heated garage.
These Yuasa's are available nowadays from online suppliers at a very good price but the bad thing with a Battery is also when it  was on stock for a long time before being sold.
I always sell my cars on after 5 or 6 years and can only remember replacing a Battery on one older car i bought when i was in my early 20's.

Can't predict the future but it's likely this car will get sold before I need to put in an other battery 🙂
I spent some extra money this way but always drive a recent car, enjoy the warranty and it never leaves me standing near the road.

Thanks Dave for letting me know you had the 35 Ah battery too in the Aygo. I was kind of thinking, fearing the garage used my stock car battery for a customer and then replaced mine with the cheapest one they could find. Didn't see any trace of replacement on the nuts and bolts though.

Just like you, I would undoubtedly choose a good brand battery, but we need to consider even Bosch has 3 (at least) different qualities in batteries.
I guess their cheapest one isn't that great.

Same here, both our 107 and 108 Toyota engined cars came with small capacity Battery. I upgraded our 107s Battery to a Bosch S5 063 few years ago, got about 8 years out the previous one, it was still ok, but just starting to need too frequent charge ups, so better to be safe than sorry. Our 6 year old 108 is still on its original Battery and is still ok, but time will tell. I usually get a couple years over the guaranteed battery life on all our cars, so happy with that.

• Like 1

Mine doesn't have Stop Start system.. Pity that a bit but it will make up for it when I would need a new Battery.
A decent one for an Aygo, not start stop Battery, is really cheap.

The hybrids use an AGM Battery and do not have a starter motor so don't need to be high Ah, 35Ah is perfectly fine for a standard car, as you have added heated seats upgrading the Battery to cope is a good idea

The biggest Battery on the aygo for the late Mk2 aygo is 60Ah 540 CCA EFB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Searched for the details on the Battery. The one that is in now has a 300 A,  CCA. The brand is FIAMM, made in Italy.
Just a black box with a small sticker on top. Looks cheap.. Like 'white product' from a supermarket.
Never heard of the brand !  😄

1 minute ago, haelewyn said:

Searched for the details on the battery. The one that is in now has a 300 A,  CCA. The brand is FIAMM, made in Italy.
Never heard of it !  😄

I've got my original FIAMM in the shed. It powers my little ornamental water fountain during the summer 😁

• Haha 1

Then it seems they didn't use it just for 1000 cars or so,  just cause they were cheap but it's more a habbit to install this brand in citybugs.

Yep, that's what our 107 had and our 108 has still going after 6 years. You never know with car batteries, few years ago we got dirt cheap one unknown brand from Costco and surprised that lasted 4 years plus, then again many many years ago had a Unipart Samson Battery with a 'lifetime warranty' and that lunched itself after 1 year, but got a free replacement.

When I had to replace our 107's Battery, knew quite few citybug owners gone the '063' Battery route, cos it more mainstream so cheaper and more CCA etc, so win win.

• Like 1

yeah.... If i look around here, a 60 Ah is about the same price as a 52 Ah. Let's say for less than 90 euro.

So why not !
And a 35 Ah, like I said : I can't even find one 🙂

23 hours ago, haelewyn said:

Just like you, I would undoubtedly choose a good brand battery, but we need to consider even BOSCH has 3 (at least) different qualities in batteries.
I guess their cheapest one isn't that great.

It's probably overkill but I got a top spec Varta Silver Dynamic AGM Battery to get the best CCA rating for easy winter starting.

Why not.. it can always pay itself back in lifespan or in being sure not to have a breakdown.
Maybe the price difference is not enormous.

For example the cheapest batteries here cost around 80 euro.
The better ones and higher CCA batteries are around 110 euro.
It's not an enormous difference.

Years ago, I saw the traditional Auto5 / Norauto batteries weren't really good. They are not that much cheaper so why would you buy a non decent brand for almost the same price as a decent brand.
If you have it installed, the difference can run up higher from the labour cost involved.

A Jaguar dealer will not install a Battery for the same price as a Halfords.
Good thing on the Aygo :  don't need any special tools to reach the Battery and replace it.
For example : on a lot more electronically equiped car, it would be nice to keep the current up during the replacement.
For the Aygo, it doesn't really matter;
I guess the only thing you would maybe need to do is re-adjust the settings in the radio (?) which is not so difficult to do.

I've just replaced the 35ah FIAMM Battery in my 2009 Aygo. It was the original from new date stamped 14/04/09 so no concerns about longevity. I've never had a problem with it. Replaced it because it was starting to struggle a bit on cold mornings. I replaced it with a Varta 063 for £53.00 delivered. It now feels like the engine is trying to jump out the bonnet even on the coldest mornings 🙂

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

What I already thought happens now : the aftermarket heated seats consume quite a bit of the 35ah battery's power on small drives.

I saw on videos the Aygo X comes with a larger Battery in high spec cars. Good idea ! 🙂

I saw the series one has a replacement alternator of 70A, series 2 has a 80A one.

Comparing : my megane before had a 120 or 150 alternator on the petrol version.

To the point : I can see already now that the cold nights combined with heated seats are a killer to Battery power.

I hear the car has difficulties to start up in the morning already with this one year old Battery.

Whoever installs extras on the aygo should consider buying (at time of renewal) a heavier Battery.

No idea what the aygo X has for alternator.. No parts for the X to be found yet at the internet car parts store websites.

• Like 1

there are 4-5 types of alternator depending on spec mk2 has 80a, 100a and 120a cold spec cars get a 60ah 540cca Battery some have a 42ah 390cca

• Like 2