Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Centrifuge noise like from the rear

Donjuanlucas

Hi Everybody 

I need your help about my Rav4 2006 2.5 AWD 95.000 miles US Version which started to emit a sound that looks like a washing machine centrifuge from the rear (differential?). It start when I cross 25-30 miles/h and increase with the speed until 50 60 miles where sound remain the same also at 80 miles/h 

I found also that the car run like little bit suck especially start from zero but at 50 60 miles is more fluid 

I was thinking about the AWD engaged even if it suppose to be disconnected automatically after 25 miles but no lights are on the the dashboard.  

I was thinking no oil in the differential but I did not see any leak from it or axels or other rear parts. If i am able to lift enough the car I will go to open the Filler Plug and see if I can touch the oil.  

Someone told me that it is the Differential Carrier Bearing in the differential (quite common problem) but I found that on the turn right the sound is reduced sensibly, meanwhile straight and left turn it keeps the same weird sound. In my Knowledge the Differential Carrier Bearing works with the transmission shaft and it is not affected from turning left or right, therefore it don't suppose disappear if I turn. 

If I am able to have some idea I can drive the mechanic in the right direction without buy expensive parts.   

Thanks you guys for your help.   

The way you described it it sounds like it's the rear electronic clutch bearing. It is possible to replace the bearing separately, they come in two different sizes depending on production year. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links