Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Backup camera upgrade

Amir-Naji

Hello,

Did anyone chage or upgrade the camera in Corrolla Hybrid? I was thinking to upgrade the reverse camera by a camera in Lexus or another Toyota brand with dynamic guide and better resolution. I wanted to know if it is possible, and they are compatible!?

Just a thought here….. won’t the picture image becoming better also depend on quality of screen being viewed on, not just quality of camera.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Just a thought here….. won’t the picture image becoming better also depend on quality of screen being viewed on, not just quality of camera.

That's totally true, but I think the display is the same in CHR, and Corolla , and RAV4, so I think it should be fine. Just like you it's just a thought. I like to investigate!! 😄

More then a few Toyota owners on here complain about the screen quality… maybe it’s improved in the Corolla.  I ok with my screen quality, maybe I easily pleased.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Catlover said:

More then a few Toyota owners on here complain about the screen quality… maybe it’s improved in the Corolla.  I ok with my screen quality, maybe I easily pleased.

As I said I don't have any issue with the screen quality, but I have issue with the camera quality!! 😄

Whilst test driving, I also thought it wasnt the best the quality, but sufficient enough, for me. I've never had a reserve camera before, so I'm happy either way haha. 

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

Yes...but the mais issue is that the source (camera) is where the lack of quality is.

19 minutes ago, mjjferreira said:

Yes...but the mais issue is that the source (camera) is where the lack of quality is.

I just want to have a dynamic guid line. Just for fun of it!! 😄
Nowadays I'm not using car much at all, but I just want to have that if it is possible. Less reason to change my car!! 😄

• Like 1

I doubt dynamic guide lines is a functionality built in into the camera unit, but rather somewhere else where steering wheel movement is fed and guidelines change their direction on the screen, probably the multimedia unit 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RzrAzr said:

I doubt dynamic guide lines is a functionality built in into the camera unit, but rather somewhere else where steering wheel movement is fed and guidelines change their direction on the screen, probably the multimedia unit 

I was hoping that I can do it without extra effort since the socket is the same as the other cars' camera and again was hoping the other things are there and just don't work because the camera doesn't have the functionality!! 😄 

5 hours ago, Catlover said:

The taxi driver who reversed into me this morning whilst walking up to the hospital door hadn’t a reversing camera in his 2013 Avensis. Thankfully apart from leaving a slight mark on my leg I was unhurt but shocked. I was lucky 🍀.

• Sad 2

I've don't really understand the complaint about the quality of the rear view camera.

It's really only for you to check for obstacles briefly, or help line up when reversing into a space, and it's perfectly adequate for that.

It's not like you need it to be pin-sharp for such minimal usage.

I sincerely hope people still use their mirrors, and turn their head too! 🤣

I do agree with the dynamic guidelines though, my old 2013 Qashqaui had them and they were pretty nifty. 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Extreme_One said:

I've don't really understand the complaint about the quality of the rear view camera.

It's really only for you to check for obstacles briefly, or help line up when reversing into a space, and it's perfectly adequate for that.

I do agree with the dynamic guidelines though, my old 2013 Qashqaui had them and they were pretty nifty. 👍

As I mentioned I mostly was thinking about the dynamic guidelines than the quality, and I do use my mirrors and that's why I want the dynamic one, and as I mentioned before again, it's just a thought. Just playing around with my car, and experimenting new things!! 😄 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marxon88 said:

Do MY22 have better rear camera?

I think its the same.

If it was never an option on the car you can't just add it, dynamic parking needs a fair amount of processing power an is done in the head unit it also requires communication with other modules

the simple answer is NO

3 minutes ago, flash22 said:

If it was never an option on the car you can't just add it, dynamic parking needs a fair amount of processing power an is done in the head unit it also requires communication with other modules

the simple answer is NO

Again I thought since the head unit is same as the CHR, and RAV4 it shouldn't be an issue with other things and it should be just matter of changing the camera since they already have that, and I don't think every factory line has a different head unit, or it was my hope. I thought maybe like the Android auto(I know it was a software upgrade), they might just turned off some of its capabilities in Corolla. 😄 

To be honest folks my last five Toyota’s have had reversing cameras and I haven’t found fault with any of them. Maybe I’m like Catlover Joe I’m too easily pleased 😃.

The camera is just that, a camera - the Ch-r and Rav4 are very different systems both have other modules for the likes of 360 view and Park Assist, these are extremely complex systems

if it was easy it would have been done by now, the Touch2 systems are ultra secure without oem factory tools you can not program them the JTAG on the processors is also disabled, the memory is also encrypted, there are no valid open ports over IP, what are there are TCP wrapped USB is also a dead end, you can pull Dbus info over a bluetooth PAN but not much else, QNX Qconn is also disabled, Pen testing with metaspliot doesn't reveal much either

Updates and firmware are also proprietary in an unknown format and have verification markers, so they can not be modified

• Like 2

The swap from my V40 to Corolla was a bit of a shock, in low light the V40 looked like daytime,  the Corolla is pure murk.

Definitely not the best,  and yes its a guide, but when the ground isn't the best, often too common for locations I visit for work, then the more detail the better for careful reversing. 

19 hours ago, Extreme_One said:

I agree, for me, the picture on the camera is adequate. I do miss guidelines, but what is even more annoying, is that if roads are dirty (which in our part of the world, is whole winter) camera gets dirty very quickly. One 100km trip on the highway and you can barley see anything trough it..

1 hour ago, clix said:

what is even more annoying, is that if roads are dirty (which in our part of the world, is whole winter) camera gets dirty very quickly.

Yes I've noticed this too.

For some reason the camera on this car gets much dirtier, much more quickly than in my previous cars 

I've taken to wiping the camera in the morning as part of my daily routine. You can bet if I forget for one day it'll be filthy when I come to use it next.

It’s a long standing problem, particularly with hatchbacks, that the air swirl at the back easily mucks up number plate area (camera) and also back window of the hatch. Saloons keep pretty clean at the back window - long time since I had a saloon Renault 9 and 18 come to mind.

Yeah, it's a shame they didn't think to rig up the rear-windscreen squirter to spray at it or something... This morning I had to stop and get out to clean it, as it was like looking at a salvador dali painting through a paint glass :laugh: 

It wasn't even that dirty TBH, judging by the small smudge on the tissue I used! Maybe it was mainly the morning dew.

The one gripe I do have is the lines - What are they supposed to represent? I originally thought the width of the car, but they are totally off if that's the case. I can't really use them for any kind of guidance or reference! Does anyone know if this is something the dealer can calibrate or something? (I mean the vertical lines; The horizontal lines *are* very useful and perfect as they are - The first line is exactly where the sonic sensors start to beep, 2nd line is polite parking distance, 3rd line is London parking distance :laugh: )

Still, it is a shame we don't get the awesome 360 degree camera and auto-parking system the JDM Yaris gets :crybaby: 

14 hours ago, Cyker said:

Does anyone know if this is something the dealer can calibrate or something? (I mean the vertical lines;

I think not, the manual specifically states the vertical, or longitudinal, lines are a guide to the width of the car, but are spaced wider.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links