Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is the horn legal?!

Flatcoat

Is The sparrow far ting sounding horn actually legal? Yesterday we were nearly taken out by a maniacal driver in a Mini, driving about 50 in a 30 limit weaving in and out of traffic. I pressed the horn pad….. my wife thought it was me being unsociable. What a pathetic sound. Any ideas? In my view it is simply not good enough, 

I just asking the question on Google is their a min and max sound required for a car horn in the uk.           
Surprisingly, I could not find anything re a minimum sound, the max sound is 110-120 decimal, which is loud.  Two tones not allowed.
Someone asked the question is it legal to horn a police car in a traffic queue when the lights have turned green. Because you are stationary and it is not a dangerous situation you are not allowed to beep anyone in that situation. More then likely the police officer would at least give you a talking to.

You are only ever supposed to use your horn to alert other drivers to your presence.  Not as a rebuke or prompt.

• Like 1

i changed mine you can buy a kit so plug and play hella horns only takes around 15 minutes to do and not expensive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

You are only ever supposed to use your horn to alert other drivers to your presence.  Not as a rebuke or prompt.

I know but if the alert cannot be heard what use is it?! 

• Like 1

Well, I cant find a minimum decibel to be used. Strange. Anyone else care to do a search?

I think in the USA it’s 96dba but never seen anything for UK I guess there must be a minimum level.

Not sure there is either a minimum or maximum noise limit for vehicle horns. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations just mention the type of sound which is legal, etc - for example two tone horns are not legal. 

3 hours ago, KPG said:

i changed mine you can buy a kit so plug and play hella horns only takes around 15 minutes to do and not expensive.

A link to these would be a big help. The horn on the Corolla sounds as if it's embarrassed to go off.

Yes it's legal, but not outstanding. Too high pitched for me, but legal. I have often experienced this on cars and motorbikes in the past, it is certainly not just on Toyota's, I have changed many in my time for something with a little more depth 

• Haha 1

Yes I still remember that video you posted years ago! :laugh:  

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yes I still remember that video you posted years ago! :laugh:  

What? 

THIS ONE

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

After scaring the ladies in the drinks shop I would think if you ordered from them they might spit into it.🤣😂🥵

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links