Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Design Digital Display

Kental

While waiting for my car (will still be quite a time as I only ordered it on Sunday), I am doing what any normal person would do and flicking through the owners manual.

The manual has 3 options for the 7" display:

Analog Speedometer, Digital Speedometer and also Digital+ Speedometer (if equipped)

image.thumb.png.a292f346b9d5121b3318174688538ebc.png

My question is are UK Design models equipped with the Digital+ or do we only get the first 2 options?

First 2. You can choose between a dial and a number, but not both at the same time. Ever since I had the option of a simple numeric display, that has always been my personal preference, on any vehicle. Makes it much easier to get accurate information with nothing more than a quick glance. On a motorcycle, it's a godsend, but very helpful for the car, too.

• Like 2

I haven't got the Digital + option on mine, I always use the digital speedometer. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

I haven't got the Digital + option on mine, I always use the digital speedometer. 

It’s only the GR sport that has the Digital + / 3d option 

• Like 1

I do like the look of the digital + display, shame it's only available on the GR with the hud

• Like 2

After driving a Mk1 Yaris for so long I just can't deal with analogue dials any more!

• Like 2

Thanks for the info guys, agreed a bit of a shame. 

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

After driving a Mk1 Yaris for so long I just can't deal with analogue dials any more!

Interestingly I like the information available on the Yaris mk4. Our standard screen is the one with average and live economy at the top of the 4.2” screen and range below. Personally I think a rev counter (as the Corolla has) is pointless on a CVT as you have no control over what it does, the Yaris energy meter is far more useful.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Kental said:

Interestingly I like the information available on the Yaris mk4. Our standard screen is the one with average and live economy at the top of the 4.2” screen and range below. Personally I think a rev counter (as the Corolla has) is pointless on a CVT as you have no control over what it does, the Yaris energy meter is far more useful.  

You still get the energy meter but it's condensed into a small bar graph in the central display.

Take your point about the rev counter, but we can actually influence the engine speed quite considerably using pedal position, much the same as with other automatics. 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

You still get the energy meter but it's condensed into a small bar graph in the central display.

Take your point about the rev counter, but we can actually influence the engine speed quite considerably using pedal position, much the same as with other automatics. 🙂

Fair point.

On a quick play around with the car I drove (a 19 plate Excel) I didn’t manage to get the energy meter and range up together, was that because I was in analog speedometer which takes more of the screen.

• Like 1

The Yaris Cross does not have a rev counter and I was told that is being dropped across the ranges. 

12 hours ago, Cyker said:

Funny that, I remember the fist digital speedo I saw ('85 Corvette, way back in the day), and saying "yuck". Things have moved on, I had digital and analogue in the 208, but frankly I only paid attention to the numeric (digital, or not ?) display. I can't say I miss an analogue speedo in the Yaris, I only pay attention to the power meter and the speedo.

3 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

Funny that, I remember the fist digital speedo I saw ('85 Corvette, way back in the day), and saying "yuck". Things have moved on, I had digital and analogue in the 208, but frankly I only paid attention to the numeric (digital, or not ?) display. I can't say I miss an analogue speedo in the Yaris, I only pay attention to the power meter and the speedo.

My first digital display was on an Astra GTE in 1985, loved it.  I make a point of switching to a digital speedo on any cars where it is an available option, so much easier/quicker checking your speed.

• Like 1

The 2007 civics had digital speedo too. Hated it at first then realised how much easier it was to read the big number than the analogue Speedo.

Really like the 3D effect rings on the GR Sport display, I was considering an Excel next but really would miss this.

I wonder if they could be coded in by someone who knows what they are doing?

I've always wanted a digital dash since I drove the Corvette in Test Drive on the C=64! :laugh: 

The Mk1 Yaris had a really nice one tho' - It was a big bright EL display, and slightly collimated, like decent HUDs are, so it looked like it was further away than it actually was. Really help lessen the eye-strain because you didn't have to keep switching focal distances so much! Didn't even have to really look at it because it was in focus out the corner of my eye. It was also well shrouded so didn't get affected by light and glare.

I think Toyota dropped it because people don't like things that are different, and having such a space-age dash in the middle instead of behind the steering wheel copped a lot of flak from reviewers, even tho' it makes so much more sense than putting it behind the steering wheel!

The 2010 mk2 Yaris diesel 1.4 had the digital speed in the centre of the dash, I loved it. The Prius is digital and more in the middle as well, but has the HUD as well, and I love that too.        
Citroen long ago we’re quirky with their dash and speed reading. I remember back in the 1960’s my brother had a Citroen GS, wasn’t new, and that had a cylinder type speedo. The Citroens of that area were great.

• Like 4

That is the good thing about French cars - They often have some great design innovations. The problem is they often seem to get bored and lose interest half-way through designing them :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

That is the good thing about French cars - They often have some great design innovations. The problem is they often seem to get bored and lose interest half-way through designing them :laugh: 

They get super creative with ergonomics too. Rented a Megane once. Cruise control On/off switch was by the gear selector, while rest of the controls (set, cancel, + and -) were on the steering wheel

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 9:03 AM, Roy124 said:

The Yaris Cross does not have a rev counter and I was told that is being dropped across the ranges. 

The Auris hybrid didn’t have 1 either

• Like 1

Does a Toyota hybrid need a rev counter, being computer controlled?

• Like 1

I always say that if you ask a French car engineer or designer why they had done it like that you will never get an answer, even they don’t know why !? 😂👌 Rev counters are no needed in any Toyota hybrids, the Auris (CHR)style power counter is much more useful., it’s even better than in a Prius. 

Isn’t that good of Toyota, saving us some money.

On 2/11/2022 at 11:52 PM, Cyker said:

None better at illustrating how fine the line between genius and insanity is.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links