Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla E12 prefacelift Steering wheel control problem with aftermarket Pioneer unit (Please help)

Shivam Vaja

Hi everyone, I hope somebody can help with this. 

I Have a 2002 Toyota corolla E12 Pre-Facelift that has steering wheel controls but I cannot find any harnesses for this.

Hopefully someone can help with this issue as I really need steering controls so i don't have to touch my radio while driving.

I have attached some photos of what the connector looks like.

I know this harness i tried is wrong as this was for the facelift model but i want to know if anyone can help me find a solution for this thats budget friendly.

IMG_9919.PNG

IMG_9918.PNG

Hi,

One of these Connects 2 adapters might work, but check on the Connects web site that it will work with your car and new radio unit before buying !

If you search the forum you will find several similar posts about the same conversion, depending on model/year, some work , some don't, so do check things out  first .

Not aware of any other adapters around, though if you find those earlier posts there was one guy who made his own, but not sure it was a the same model as yours.

https://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/6459/s/connects2-ctsty013-2-stalk-adapter-for-toyota-avensis-corolla-yaris-1998/category/570/

https://connects2.com/products/steering-wheel-control-interfaces/vehicle/Toyota

Hi mate,

You better believe i've checked everything haha. I don't want to resort to actually having to mess about with wires as i don't have the proper knowledge or experience with that. 

I would much prefer a plug and play as its more simple, i had one in my Vauxhall astra H Mk5 but i've switched to this car now so i need a new harness. 

• 4 weeks later...

**SOLVED** If anybody comes to the same issue I had simply contact a person named Nick who has helped me solved this issue with a breeze. Very good knowledge and was able to help me out. Send a message to Niksta and he will help. Couldn’t thank you enough mate. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Please help me. same problem. who do i call for instructions for steering wheel controls?

AB6E736B-32F6-4B51-94D4-A68B3ADBED58.jpeg

A6BC936E-165D-4646-AF64-1F08331B6D93.jpeg

its a 10+6 for power and Speakers

on a 2003 a corolla will have AVC lan controls what will need converting to resistive based controls

someone did a conversion recently on here

I saw that post but they also said half of the buttons still dont work

That's because you have to set it up right when building it and get it within the resistance ranges for each button, not sure if the later Mk1 yaris (Not yaris verso) controls will fit the corolla wheel (these are resistive based)

Unfortunately the topic " Corolla E12 prefacelift Steering wheel control problem with aftermarket android radio", after some update of the forum, is deleted.

This topic along with the 2 topics mentioned above provide lots of info related to Corolla E12 SWCs with aftermarket HU (pioneer or android ones)and give a solution for the  prefacelift E12 Corolla, which counts more of 20 years now.

The same issue discussed here for the Yaris Verso which had the same steering wheel.

The main issue was that the connects 2 adapter did not fix the issue. 

It is needed a modification at the SWCs PCBs to make them resistor based, as mentioned.

Below is my PCBs that I made for my Corolla.

SWC PCBs niksta.jpg

The connects 2 adapters can be configured by the cable, but also there are internal dip switches there are known issues with pioneer and Sony what can be cured with said dip switches

with these cheap android units, you just teach the unit and assign it a function

are these PCBs still available or do you still have the PCB or Gerber files (not sure if you are the OP that lost an HDD)

On 4/1/2023 at 5:57 PM, flash22 said:

The connects 2 adapters can be configured by the cable, but also there are internal dip switches there are known issues with pioneer and Sony what can be cured with said dip switches

with these cheap android units, you just teach the unit and assign it a function

are these PCBs still available or do you still have the PCB or Gerber files (not sure if you are the OP that lost an HDD)

As far as I know, no one could manage to make connects 2 adapter work on a pre F/L E12 Corolla.

(I am not the one who had problems with HDD)

It would need 3 wires to split the ladder, and wire it from the clock spring back to the radio as the avc-lan does bounce around with termination

the connects 2 adapters do require a clean ground direct from the switch

do you have a schematic of your boards

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but I am not sure I understand what you are pointing-out about the avc-lan. There is no need to use anything related to avc-lan for the SWC to work with android, pioneer or probably any other headunits.

Of course I have all the related files of my work.

It's not that hard to figure out a design, the info is freely available, I just have no desire to design something in Eagle/Fusion and no interest in selling them, you had the pcbs made in China copyright goes out the window tbh

Mk3 Yaris controls

1350720164_Xp130audiopcb.thumb.JPG.7d529e6500a8f7cd3bfd32912c7cbda0.JPG362970449_Xp130Audiopcb1.thumb.JPG.9e1f221e1930d71841ac18f62c7600e0.JPG

Good to know.

If you need any related info for Corolla E12 prefacelift, feel free to contact me through pm.

Had a spare 5-10 mins so knocked up a schematic, a bit messy but hay ho

1496994687_corrolaavcaudioconsch.thumb.jpg.94f0dc80191cc895340a51af200e4b3a.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

I would start the project with my Avensis T22. Does anyone know the resistance values of the Pioneer, what resistance does it achieve, what functions does it achieve on the 3.5 jack connector? I found here a picture of the Sony Remote control, but I don't speak English and I don't know how to search for pioneer functions.
What I want to use is the original stalk Vol+/- Seek+/- Power button=Mute and Mode Button=Multi Control or Audio setup option or whatever. I bought an AXXESS adapter but it works incorrectly.... According to the manufacturer, their product is good, my car is the one that is faulty 😄 Thank you.

Sony RM-X2S Remote.jpg

Képernyőfotó 2023-05-27 - 15.43.51.png

MVIMG_20230524_085054.jpg

MVIMG_20230524_085134.jpg

You have the AVC-LAN controls you need to do the conversion to resistive based controls, see the PCB above in Niksta's post

you can not wire controls to direct to your aftermarket radio, you need an interface for everything to work correctly

The Mute wire on your radio has nothing to do with the audio controls, it's for devices like a parrot kit to mute the radio

Hi All,

Not directly relevant to the detail of this thread, but clearly you guys know a lot more about such stuff than us, so thought we might get some helpful comment on this little item.

Most well known touch screen branded head units tend to start at around £250 yet you can pick one  of these far east units up for as little as £55.

This one caught our eye as it does have a physical volume key and a reversing camera which alone would be worth it for us oldies.

So any knowledge how good or bad these units are, not looking for ultra  hifi quality though would have thought with todays power ics they would perform better than toyotas 17+ year old stock head unit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155533645973?hash=item2436871895:g:dxkAAOSwKjVj4e8G&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAABIGT%2FO4ip%2FDfDSv9FBtK0HQ9zP%2Ffobms869bmpT5pJXIDYCDQsur36gMtT1S8HwC%2Fm5A2%2FIPLCHyywUQzieuccNTgiPpSEZ8lDGbcTlndy6D80vA1GO0xQ3NKVz02cxoKluR2vHa2mgeCtOGY4J3NC%2FsqDkXmrurI9CF9exEyl7ESj5%2Bilf9E3PvnytGLKnDKckOFpmnSV1moxUBIEz0u2I6GTT6MKQ7PjL8PR3kdnkL66AK0WPSsbQsSHY4zmi9K%2BJEbI1444OKLADFlwL%2FIbi2RsZda%2FKk3EZP1D%2BX6j73SwF1BkvTXwD%2FWzsQNU97lKMTju%2BP2eL9ZFOARpYE63Kl5Ozdjmkbtan70i0B3jjcStldk5WA5WnwIT%2FX%2BbwdnMA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBM-J2cko1i

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2023 at 9:24 PM, oldcodger said:

Hi All,

Not directly relevant to the detail of this thread, but clearly you guys know a lot more about such stuff than us, so thought we might get some helpful comment on this little item.

Most well known touch screen branded head units tend to start at around £250 yet you can pick one  of these far east units up for as little as £55.

This one caught our eye as it does have a physical volume key and a reversing camera which alone would be worth it for us oldies.

So any knowledge how good or bad these units are, not looking for ultra  hifi quality though would have thought with todays power ics they would perform better than toyotas 17+ year old stock head unit.

Thought my request might have gained an odd comment on these cheap units, but no, so decided to try one out  a new one even cheaper than the above link.

So for £25.99  + £7 for a suitable bezel and a bit of rewiring its looking  and sounding quiet good .  :smile:

The reversing camera was tested out on the bench but still got the job of wiring it all up.

001818.thumb.jpg.cf4b71b24052b5ca9115115b02426255.jpg

Would love to get this board as well! DMed niksta

does one still need an adapter with the custom pcb, or is the 3,5mm jack also resistive?

13 hours ago, George Boot said:

Would love to get this board as well! DMed niksta

does one still need an adapter with the custom pcb, or is the 3,5mm jack also resistive?

Usually no.

Alpines do need the connects2 adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

DMed Niksta. Having the same issue on my pre face lift corolla.

• 3 months later...
On 4/15/2023 at 9:24 PM, niksta said:

Sorry but I am not sure I understand what you are pointing-out about the avc-lan. There is no need to use anything related to avc-lan for the SWC to work with android, pioneer or probably any other headunits.

Of course I have all the related files of my work.

Hello! Congrats for your great work!

I would much appreciate if you could send me the PCB files so I can make it by myself.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links