Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smart Entry Disabled, Im Confused

Jrooney06

The fact it is a legal requirement in the US is irrelevant to the UK/European markets, where it isn't a legal requirement. 

Yes some manufacturers offer it, but not all. Our last two Toyotas (Auris and Aygo) haven't had auto locking, whereas our last three i20's (2012, 2015, 2020) have. 

For most people a car is their second largest purchase. We were aware of the specs and features of our cars when ordering, and we didn't have unrealistic expectations of the cars on delivery. Again it is down to the buyer, whether it is a car, washing machine or whatever, to make sure what they're buying is suitable for what they want.

• Like 2

In the EU auto locking is not supposed to be programmable if the car does not have crash sensors to unlock the doors after an accident.  My previous Honda Civic could be set as it was a 56 plate, but soon after Honda removed the facility as the car did not have the said sensors

• Like 1

At the end of the day, the Corolla isn't a high end Merc, BMW or Range Rover.

I'd be rather surprised if thieves are targeting Corolla 's with man in the middle attacks.

We use pouches,  but more for the sake of it, and also leaving the key indoors, as far away from the vehicle as possible, is probably just as effective in many cases (speaking from a background in networks)

4 minutes ago, frizzbee30 said:

We use pouches,  but more for the sake of it, and also leaving the key indoors, as far away from the vehicle as possible, is probably just as effective in many cases (speaking from a background in networks)

I don't know how far away that has to be. I had an alert from My T, when I was in a shop, I hadn't locked the doors. I was able to lock the car with the fob, and I was about 10 metres away from the car. Are the doors and starter on the same frequency network ?

I think that remote lock/unlock has a bigger range than smart entry.  So you can lock/unlock the car at 10 m distance ( but I succeeded to lock/unlock my Yaris also from more than 50 m ) but if the keyfob is your pocket and you're 10m far from the car, another people can't unlock the door touching the door handle ( unless they are not using a repeater ). 

Oh Yes, that's right. The smart entry has to be within about 70cm.

My GT 86 was keyless entry and go, I kept the keys at the back of the house as far from where it was parked. Other than that I didn't worry.

As for auto door locking, that's been my finger in all but one of my cars.

I thought auto door locking was only for when you unlock the car without getting in afterwards? The Corolla does do that. I've never had a car that locks itself after I alight in 25 years of ownership. Hence it's difficult for someone of my experience to understand why it should be considered essential.

Edit: sorry, I thought you meant the car should lock itself after parking. Dim of me 😊

6 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

I've never had a car that locks itself after I alight in 25 years of ownership.

When I write about auto locking, it's when the car reaches a certain speed, the doors will lock, it's a security measure to help against carjacking. I've never had a car that locks itself when you walk away from it, but I do believe that Renault's smart entry system, functions like that, walk away with the key in your pocket and it will lock, as long as you haven't left the car in ready mode.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, frizzbee30 said:

Same as me. My spare is in a pouch locked away in a cupboard. The usual key I use is in a pouch in a secure area too.

2 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

When I write about auto locking, it's when the car reaches a certain speed, the doors will lock, it's a security measure to help against carjacking. I've never had a car that locks itself when you walk away from it, but I do believe that Renault's smart entry system, functions like that, walk away with the key in your pocket and it will lock, as long as you haven't left the car in ready mode.

I remember years ago one of the women at work testing a Renault ( possibly a Laguna II )  a group of us where watching her out the window as she couldn't get it to lock as everytime she tried the handle the door opened.

She eventually came & asked us, we said leave us the key card then walk back over to it & try the door - hey presto this time it didn't open.

• Haha 2

That's one thing that makes me so glad mine has the folding mirrors - I can use them to tell me if the car is locked or not :laugh: 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

That's one thing that makes me so glad mine has the folding mirrors - I can use them to tell me if the car is locked or not :laugh: 

That's about the main reason I wanted them, that, and when the car might be parked on a very narrow street !

• Like 1

18 hours ago, forkingabout said:

I remember years ago one of the women at work testing a Renault ( possibly a Laguna II )  a group of us where watching her out the window as she couldn't get it to lock as everytime she tried the handle the door opened.

She eventually came & asked us, we said leave us the key card then walk back over to it & try the door - hey presto this time it didn't open.

On Toyota you can test the handle of a back door.  It will not open the car if it's locked even if you have the keyfob in your pocket.  

I think that also PSA cars have the auto lock after you leave the car parked for a while and you forget to lock it. On Toyota it works only if you unlock the doors and you don't open any door.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RickyC said:

I think that also PSA cars have the auto lock after you leave the car parked for a while and you forget to lock it. On Toyota it works only if you unlock the doors and you don't open any door.

My 208 would re-lock after if I unlocked it, but didn’t open any doors. I thought, but I am not certain that it would also lock if I left the car unattended for a long time.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's a thing with Toyotas, or at least the Yaris too - All of mine will re-lock themselves after about a minute or so if you unlock them but don't open any of the doors. After that they will stay unlocked forever until explicitly locked tho'.

I do wonder why most keyless cars don't make the car lock automatically when the keyfob is out of range tho'... maybe a safety thing?

39 minutes ago, RickyC said:

On Toyota you can test the handle of a back door.  It will not open the car if it's locked even if you have the keyfob in your pocket.  

That's a good tip! I forgot the rear passenger doors don't have sensors.

21 hours ago, Cyker said:

And I thought t was only me who did this 😀

• Like 3

had several cars now with keyless entry going back to 2008, and never worried about theft etc. i think if they want it that badly they will get it somehow.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links