Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV - EV mode versus Auto EV/HV

nlee

I’ve tried a number of different combinations but can not give you any data that I’d feel confident about.  My gut feel has been to keep the car in EV mode and let it auto switch to HEV mode. Whenever I’ve tried to get more detailed results switching driving modes etc., the road conditions, temperature, wind direction, have not been similar enough to  e comfortable with the results.  Essentially I’ve always appeared to get the best results using the modes I’ve stated above. When I have tried the ‘recommended’ method I ended up each time with more EV than 30% left in the traction Battery.

I more of less now just enjoy the drive and know that whatever method I’m using it’s going to pretty efficient.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mike2222 said:

For context btw, I have a pair of mini-bladder midgets in the back, so there is zero prospect of doing the whole journey in one go, and there potentially is scope to plan a stop or two around a tesco with free pod point chargers, so I may go with one strategy on way out (ie deplete ev and recharge when available), and an alternative on way back, which is obv not scientific as not the same elevation etc, let alone traffic conditions different etc, but very curious to see whether there is a notable difference from following Toyotas's advice

To be honest I haven't read the manual in that much detail (life's too short - especially at my age!). I do try to make sure the engine won't start within spitting distance of my final destination. I don't like stopping a cold engine.

I am pleased with just leaving it in ECO - I have a light throttle touch (but couldn't match the hyper- milers). Having said that the difference in acceleration with the engine already on as opposed to not is stunning - on Sunday I needed to pass a car on the A9 (single carriageway) and the acceleration was phenomenal. As I returned to my lane I was at 90 (from 50) impressive - sorry to digress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links