Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Belt noise

Michael mc c

Hello I have a 2013 Toyota avensis t27 saloon 2.0 d4d  can anyone tell me if they have had a belt noise like it's slipping under load I replaced the belt with a new one and it still makes the same noise I even tried using belt spray if anything it made it worse. would it be a tensioner that's needed or a pulley elsewhere when going up hill or when changing to second third ect just seems like the belt is slipping and making a sqealing noise I took it to a mechanic who replaced the fan belt but said he didn't see anything wrong with the pulleys and was told its pointing towards a tensioner but it is annoying anyone else had or have this issue ??? 🙁

Hi, yes it can be the tensioner, has the mechanic checked the belt tension is correct? Also a worn out bearings on alternator or AC clutch may sound similar to a belt. , good to check this too. 👍

• Like 1

The mechanic changed the belt and I took it a run afterwards but no change when I went back he said the pulleys all looked ok so I'm not sure if he did check the tensioner or not.

I then took it to another mechanic for a second opinion and he said he can hear it but it wasn't too bad but it's pointing towards a tensioner he reckons. I bought a can of belt spray and when I sprayed the belt it got worse instead of better lol I just can't put my finger on which one it is 

Are you able to use a big long screwdriver as a stethoscope, holding it to your ear, and (with great care of moving parts), hold the sharp end against the tensioner, and the alternator and the AC, to help pinpoint the squeal? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Notoyboy said:

Are you able to use a big long screwdriver as a stethoscope, holding it to your ear, and (with great care of moving parts), hold the sharp end against the tensioner, and the alternator and the AC, to help pinpoint the squeal? 

Good idea, done that previously to find the water pump was making those noises. 👍 You just reminded me that trick 👌 AC compressor, Alternator or water pump these 3 can cause the issue. For the belt no need a spray, just drop few water drops on it while engine is running and if it’s from the belt tension it will stop the noise immediately. 😉

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 1:39 AM, Michael mc c said:

Hello I have a 2013 Toyota avensis t27 saloon 2.0 d4d  can anyone tell me if they have had a belt noise like it's slipping under load I replaced the belt with a new one and it still makes the same noise I even tried using belt spray if anything it made it worse. would it be a tensioner that's needed or a pulley elsewhere when going up hill or when changing to second third ect just seems like the belt is slipping and making a sqealing noise I took it to a mechanic who replaced the fan belt but said he didn't see anything wrong with the pulleys and was told its pointing towards a tensioner but it is annoying anyone else had or have this issue ??? 🙁

I was chatting with a taxi guy he had a 2.0d4d avensis great car but he changed his belt and was this anoying noise left it into few mechanic and found no problem well he was scundered with the noise so he said cut his loses left it into Toyota and they fixed it low and behold was one of those off brand belts .when going for belts always and I repeat always go for genuine Toyota belt .tbh If I come across that problem I'm bypassing my ac system 2 it's 2 expensive when the ac compressor packs in just get the genuine Toyota belt that made for cars with no ac .best option 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2009joe said:

I was chatting with a taxi guy he had a 2.0d4d avensis great car but he changed his belt and was this anoying noise left it into few mechanic and found no problem well he was scundered with the noise so he said cut his loses left it into Toyota and they fixed it low and behold was one of those off brand belts .when going for belts always and I repeat always go for genuine Toyota belt .tbh If I come across that problem I'm bypassing my ac system 2 it's 2 expensive when the ac compressor packs in just get the genuine Toyota belt that made for cars with no ac .best option 

Agreed, or belt made by Gates. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Gates and Fenner are the big names in belt manufacturing, although I don't think I've ever seen a Fenner belt made for a car, they seem to concentrate on the industrial sector.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

not so much gates tbh just spend extra money go for original. i had my old vw group 1.9tdi changed with gates timing belt well i changed the timing belt before was due and my mechanic said i was luckey as the gates tensioner has a crack in half of it so was holding on to dear life with the other half. so tbh gates na not for me toyota all the way 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

not so much gates tbh just spend extra money go for original. i had my old vw group 1.9tdi changed with gates timing belt well i changed the timing belt before was due and my mechanic said i was luckey as the gates tensioner has a crack in half of it so was holding on to dear life with the other half. so tbh gates na not for me toyota all the way 

TBH I doubt that Toyota make belts in-house, but the tensioners will be better if you go with OEM, for sure.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

TBH I doubt that Toyota make belts in-house, but the tensioners will be better if you go with OEM, for sure.

i see if i can see that pic of gates tensioner that i had that broke .thats gates garbage for u never again i was dam lucky i changed my tdi timing belt etc before its time 

Screenshot_20220225-200312.png

• Like 1

I mean the belt Gates only, not the sets that include tensioners and pulleys as those might not be made by Gates but third party manufacturers. Gates belts are one of the best in the world and been used as oem in many cars. Gates also were used by Mitsubishi dealers in UK as direct replacement of Japanese oem back in 2008-2012. I also use them as problem solver in cases like that one or in a non auto tensioner alternators on older type engines that regular adjustments were required., 4G18 on Mitsubishi for example. 

• Like 1

I mean the belt Gates only, not the sets that include tensioners and pulleys as those might not be made by Gates but third party manufacturers. Gates belts are one of the best in the world and been used as oem in many cars. Gates also were used by Mitsubishi dealers in UK as direct replacement of Japanese oem back in 2008-2012. I also use them as problem solver in cases like that one or in a non auto tensioner alternators on older type engines that regular adjustments were required., 4G18 on Mitsubishi for example. 

well that was a genuine gates vw group 1.9tdi engine timing belt kit so u think with been called gates then it would have a bit better quality than that where the tensioner  split like that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2009joe said:

well that was a genuine gates vw group 1.9tdi engine timing belt kit so u think with been called gates then it would have a bit better quality than that where the tensioner  split like that

I mean Gates only for the belt(the rubber part) not tensioner itself is likely to be a different brand put inside Gates box or Vw box. Anyway a faulty part can be in any box any make , there is always a possibility of an error. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I mean Gates only for the belt(the rubber part) not tensioner itself is likely to be a different brand put inside Gates box or Vw box. Anyway a faulty part can be in any box any make , there is always a possibility of an error. 

well tbh id be sticking with toyota belts anyways now tbh peace of mind 

• Like 2

Thanks guys I will get In touch with Toyota dealer on Monday and get a genuine belt to see if that cures the noise. 2009joe someone did mention before to me about bypassing the AC unit with a different belt maybe something I could look at next if the genuine Toyota belt don't work the car itself runs a dream I love it it's just that annoying noise lol thanks for the reply guys will keep yous posted if I get it sorted 🤞👍

4 hours ago, Michael mc c said:

Thanks guys I will get In touch with Toyota dealer on Monday and get a genuine belt to see if that cures the noise. 2009joe someone did mention before to me about bypassing the AC unit with a different belt maybe something I could look at next if the genuine Toyota belt don't work the car itself runs a dream I love it it's just that annoying noise lol thanks for the reply guys will keep yous posted if I get it sorted 🤞👍

Where are u located tbh if I was going 2 spend the money on a new Toyota belt tbh I WOULD get the Toyota genuine belt to bypass the AC compressor.i would not risk it to just buy a belt to turn around was the compressor fault .just get the genuine Toyota shorter belt and be done with it. My car runs great and next to no miles on the engine and I really want to bypass my dam ac compressor as it will be less stress on the other parts .well my ac compressor is not that old so should.be ok .but for sure even if my compressor is working and I need a new belt I'm getting a genuine Toyota shorter one .but that's the truth what the taxi man told me about those MOTORFACTOR not Toyota  genuine belts making a noise 

On 2/24/2022 at 1:39 AM, Michael mc c said:

By interest how many miles on your car mine is a 2014 with 47k now I think it's not many miles on mine 

There is 131,000 miles on mine just bought it recently when it had 128,000 I taxi that's why I bought the avensis great taxi car that's my second 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 2009joe said:

i see if i can see that pic of gates tensioner that i had that broke .thats gates garbage for u never again i was dam lucky i changed my tdi timing belt etc before its time 

Screenshot_20220225-200312.png

Joe, that's clearly not a Gates tensioner, it's a Litens. You can see the name stamped on it. VAG use both makes in their kits, look it up. Gates have always been a good reputable company, although things can change like with any other company.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

Joe, that's clearly not a Gates tensioner, it's a Litens. You can see the name stamped on it. VAG use both makes in their kits, look it up. Gates have always been a good reputable company, although things can change like with any other company.

true bud but as i said i cant believe why so called gates would put that garbage in there box .tbh turned me off il be buying toyota all the way . but sure buddy michael if i were u  and that many miles on the car i would for sure buypass the ac compressor trust me its the best way as tbh they are so so so dam expensive to fix ur in our neck of the woods u dont need ac wind down the window lol. but for sure go with a toyota shorter belt 

NON ac Belt 90916-W2013 comes up as a 7PK1370 (7 rib 1370mm) - Gates 7PK1367 (only if want to go for gates)

Clean the pulleys and idlers before fitting the new belt 

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/avensis-38212/adt270-56107/adt270r-awfnyw-919686/v-belt-17855794#/il-413554834-10201244-10201244

TOYOTA BYPASS AC PUMP PIC.png

11 hours ago, Michael mc c said:

There is 131,000 miles on mine just bought it recently when it had 128,000 I taxi that's why I bought the avensis great taxi car that's my second 

put info at the bottom if any use to you bud maybe could try ring toyota have a chat tell them u want a belt to suit your car minus the ac pump see what they got if they start with there bull**** well forget about them there is links on here to tell u the belt u can get tbh i have not looked into it to much as my car is still fresh but if i can il be geting a toyota made short belt that bypasses the ac pump. when u say these toyotas are dependable thats why i bought mine as i know itd boring as hell to drive and look but well its dam comfortable and well i hope it lasts a long time without breaking down. i bought a autel 808 pro there so it dose dpf etc its a good scanner so if u want me put it on yours but for free i will im not for from u im from the north west 200 location lol 😉

• Like 1

I've never needed the AC in any car I had with the weather we get lol I will get in touch with Toyota and explain the case and see of they have the shorter belt and go from there thanks for the feedback folks 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2009joe said:

true bud but as i said i cant believe why so called gates would put that garbage in there box .tbh turned me off il be buying toyota all the way . but sure buddy michael if i were u  and that many miles on the car i would for sure buypass the ac compressor trust me its the best way as tbh they are so so so dam expensive to fix ur in our neck of the woods u dont need ac wind down the window lol. but for sure go with a toyota shorter belt 

Gates didn't put it in the box, VAG did. VAG mixed belts from one company with tensioners from another to save a few pennies. Which is why I'm saying you can't blame Gates for that, they only old supplied the belt and the rest had absolutely nothing to do with them. If you bought a kit by Gates through an independent then it would have one of their own tensioners.

48 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

Gates didn't put it in the box, VAG did. VAG mixed belts from one company with tensioners from another to save a few pennies. Which is why I'm saying you can't blame Gates for that, they only old supplied the belt and the rest had absolutely nothing to do with them. If you bought a kit by Gates through an independent then it would have one of their own tensioners.

Well true I'm not blaming any company I'm saying was put in a gates box it's like selling a Toyota but in reality ur selling a fiat .u think gates would have something to say about putting other junk into a gates box u thinking it's gates things.anyways I emailed gates sent them pics that I took and told them about how I was dam luckey to change the timing belt way before it's time 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links