Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2021 C-HR dash rattle

AndyRC

So the C-HR has developed an annoying rattle/buzz from the what sounds like the corner of the dash where there is a piece of trim with holes in it. This only occurs on certain road surfaces so I’m guessing it’s a frequency related problem. Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so , is there an easy fix? 

01902A10-4DD1-400A-8FCD-EF274373AFB8.jpeg

Take to the dealer but if they can't find it on a consistent basis, then it will be hard to fix.

BTW, I just got my C-HR today, and my previous car had that issue- sadly, it was not fixed as the rattles were very sporadic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spo2 said:

Take to the dealer but if they can't find it on a consistent basis, then it will be hard to fix.

BTW, I just got my C-HR today, and my previous car had that issue- sadly, it was not fixed as the rattles were very sporadic.

As it doesn’t rattle all the time it’s always going to be hard to ensure it does it when a technician takes it out. I might see if it does it on roads local to the dealership 🤔👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AndyRC said:

As it doesn’t rattle all the time it’s always going to be hard to ensure it does it when a technician takes it out. I might see if it does it on roads local to the dealership 🤔👍

If it does make him/her take the same road.

• Like 1

Sounds like your rattle is coming from here (circled area). Next time you hear the rattle press down here and it should disappear. Take it to the Dealer and they should fix it. Mine had exactly the same problem. No more rattles since.

chr_dash_rattle.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Big_D said:

Sounds like your rattle is coming from here (circled area). Next time you hear the rattle press down here and it should disappear. Take it to the Dealer and they should fix it. Mine had exactly the same problem. No more rattles since.

chr_dash_rattle.jpg

Will give that a try 👍 definitely sounds to be in that general area 🤔

• Like 1

When you hear the rattle, press around that area. When you press in the right spot the rattle will disappear, and come back when you lift off the pressure 👍

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spo2 said:

@Big_D, Bit curious, what was the culprit in your case?

No idea. I took her in to the dealer. The workshop manager and I took her out for a ride and I showed him where the rattle was. Left her with them overnight and picked her up the next day. Rattle gone. From what I understand, there was a bit of padding required between the two pieces of trim.

• Like 1

Rattle came back yesterday and it’s definitely from the perforated area , next step is to find something as a temporary wedge to see if that fixes it before I take it to the garage , service is due in a few months. Turning the radio up is also a fix but not really the answer 😂

1D02ADC9-7CF1-4D96-A27D-24CB7D2F65DD.jpeg

• Like 1

But that's what radios are for 😀

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Big_D said:

But that's what radios are for 😀

I’m not sure that’s what Toyota intended but obviously have multiple uses 🤔😁

• Like 2

That is your speaker grille. Don’t prod or poke anything down there - you’ll damage speaker.

• Like 1

Did 120 mile cross country trip yesterday and no rattle/buzz at all so it’s very intermittent and does appear to be certain road surfaces which create the problem. 🤔

If it's coming from the speaker grill itself, it may be a problem with the speaker not being seated properly??

When you do hear the noise,does it go away when you press the area?

On 3/14/2022 at 7:05 AM, AndyRC said:

Did 120 mile cross country trip yesterday and no rattle/buzz at all so it’s very intermittent and does appear to be certain road surfaces which create the problem. 🤔

You can buy yourself a set of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4PCS-CAR-TRIM-REMOVAL-TOOL-KIT-PANEL-DOOR-PRY-DASH-INTERIOR-CLIP-MULTIFUNCTION-/203741660151?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

open carefully and see if speaker is seated properly indeed, that is a good advice 👌, perhaps undo the speaker bolts take it out and put back in, tight the screws , then check the clips are fitted correctly to the grill, attach the grill carefully and make sure you hear all clips click in position. Try the car and if all done good, if not you can take the gril out again and apply something like foam tape, weather strip to insulate the grill. This is what I would have done if it was me. My car also has creaking noises from dashboard coming and going but I am not bothered by this. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

You can buy yourself a set of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4PCS-CAR-TRIM-REMOVAL-TOOL-KIT-PANEL-DOOR-PRY-DASH-INTERIOR-CLIP-MULTIFUNCTION-/203741660151?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

open carefully and see if speaker is seated properly indeed, that is a good advice 👌, perhaps undo the speaker bolts take it out and put back in, tight the screws , then check the clips are fitted correctly to the grill, attach the grill carefully and make sure you hear all clips click in position. Try the car and if all done good, if not you can take the gril out again and apply something like foam tape, weather strip to insulate the grill. This is what I would have done if it was me. My car also has creaking noises from dashboard coming and going but I am not bothered by this. 👍

Rattles were one of the reasons that I sold my last car. The car was under warranty, has been to the dealer few times was paid for the diagnosis, put the problem could not be sorted out I do like a quiet cabin! If I encounter this again with my C-HR, it would be a bummer!

On 3/15/2022 at 8:50 AM, TonyHSD said:

Cheers , ordered a set. I’m still thinking it’s the perforated grill that vibrates under certain conditions, which is a bit annoying as otherwise the car is creak and vibration free. 👍

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

The rattle is now fixed , took the car into JRT in Hull for some paintwork (young lady scraped the front bumper whilst parking , luckily the CEO was sat in it at the time to witness the event as the young lady “didn’t know she had scraped the bumper 🤔). Whist it was in we asked them to look at the rattle and it now has something stuck behind both speaker grills shown in post #1 , and the rattle has gone 👍. Interestingly the C-HR sport we had on loan for a couple of days had exactly the same rattle/buzz from the dash. 

• Like 2

So far every Yaris I've owned has had some sort of speaker grille rattle; I usually wedge a bit of folded paper or blutack somewhere to stop it. It does seem to be seasonal and depend on road surface to trigger it tho'!

• Like 2

Thermo thing of the materials , expanding and contracting., typical for hard plastics. Sometimes I can hear my dashboard plastics does popping noises in winter after long drive with heating on, then while waiting in the car and the cabin gets colder the plastics start cracking. Similar happens in hit summer days when the car been under direct sunlight. Remember same was happening on the exhaust heat shielding on my previous cars, after long drive and then cooling off the exhaust., then hybrid does not do that as most likely it cools down the exhaust system prematurely before the car been parked as most of the journeys the final mile it’s completed almost always in ev. 
For any dashboard rattles a thin double sided foam tape may help a lot. eBay, Amazon.  

If you want to hear a proper creaking dash board, get a first generation Peugeot 405 🤣

• Haha 1

Exact same issue in my 2 month old chr. Only 4k km on it. Seems to be a common problem from a quick internet search. What's not so common is the solution or the answer to what the problem is/was when people get theirs fixed 😔

6 hours ago, Killian32 said:

Exact same issue in my 2 month old chr. Only 4k km on it. Seems to be a common problem from a quick internet search. What's not so common is the solution or the answer to what the problem is/was when people get theirs fixed 😔

It's your Toyota dealers problem as the vehicle is under manufacturers warranty - book it in & let them fix it.

Only irritation on mine is the interior rear view mirror vibrates slightly when I turn the audio volume up.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links