Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota using rail for car deliveries between UK and France

FROSTYBALLS

Cool.  Makes sense.

We could move a lot of none-perishable deliveries off the roads.  And if freight is not time sensitive, even back on the canals

8 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Cool.  Makes sense.

We could move a lot of none-perishable deliveries off the roads.  And if freight is not time sensitive, even back on the canals

Nothing cheaper than Canal barges, but I think the UK canals are mostly too narrow. They are slow. There's a lot of barge traffic on the Seine, Rhone and Rhine, though. 

Cars have always been transported on trains, but I expect shipping, or should I say training, from Valenciennes to the UK makes a lot of sense, and would be more efficient than train-boat-train.

To get Freight onto rail again needs political will & public money to maintain the infrastructure.

• Like 1

I never understood why they used ships instead of trains in the first place; Maybe a cost thing? I do know the train is more expensive than a ferry whenever I've looked at ticket prices, but I figured the time saved would be worth the extra cost.

Or maybe it is now! Still, the timing of it is a bit late - I feel they missed the boat (haha) a bit doing it post-Brexit as, where the train could sail through before, now it'll get delayed at customs. Or do they have a way of fast-tracking stuff through so it doesn't have to get custom-checked at the border? Would certainly be much faster if the train can just go straight through without stopping!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links