Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear offside brake caliper leak

funks81

I've now had to top up the brake fluid twice in the past 4 months - so today I had a look round the car and there is an obvious wet patch on the rear offside brake caliper.  This is neither where the brake hose attaches nor at the bleed nipple (they both appear dry).  It appears to be where the electronic parking brake attaches.  Does anyone know if this likely to be a seal on the rear of the caliper?  If so, is there a repair kit available?

Avensis Tourer 2015 (think its the T27 - 126bhp)

IMG_2298 (1).jpeg

Repair kits are available as it looks like the o ring on shaft has worn out. I have had this problem on my last Avensis and found it was easier to replace the whole caliper with a remanufactured item. There are cheaper new parts on eBay etc but some of these pattern parts cause problems with the EPB system,the actuator arm on some parts seems to be the issue. Also when you buy a remanufactured item its an original part with the correct dimensions etc. And lastly plan ahead and get the other side done too I had just got one side changed three weeks later the other one seized. Hope this helps.

Any recommendations on makes to go for or avoid. Seem to be wildly ranging in price from Ridex at £55 each to Bosch at around £95. Haven’t heard of 90% of the manufacturers. 
Where did you source the reconditioned OEM parts?

On 3/31/2022 at 8:17 AM, funks81 said:

Any recommendations on makes to go for or avoid. Seem to be wildly ranging in price from Ridex at £55 each to Bosch at around £95. Haven’t heard of 90% of the manufacturers. 
Where did you source the reconditioned OEM parts?

Have used Brake International parts are good and reasonable price.

• 4 months later...

Tried to remove rear caliper off my sons 2.2 d cat Avensis 2012 from the electric parking brake to fit new seals  but the actuator arm is a part of the EPB cable so removed the actuator 2 bolts. Cannot find another fitting like it, videos show the cable i passes through when the spring clip is removed. Not so the clip appears to do nothing as the brake cable is solid to the  actuator bracket. WHAT AM I MISSING ? as this should be fairly easy !? Unless you buy the EPB cable with the actuator  bracket factory fitted ? ANYONE?

The spring clip has to be removed or passed through the arm, only way of getting it off. Try a ty-rap around it or snipe nosed pliers. I've changed three of the rear calipers now, two were cheap, one failed on no handbrake actuation, the replacment failed on sticking handbrake actuator arm. Last one I fitted was a MIntex refurbished unit off eBay, this has lasted nearly a year with no problems. 

On this one off fitting I'm sure ! there is no hole to pass through it's a solid state fixed to the EPB cable end, I did remove the clip  to find no hole so the clip did nothing ? as the outer cable is a sealed part of the holding bracket ??? Anyway I undid the two bolts holding the actuator pivot arm and got the caliper off. renewed seals, then the EPB  operated but not enough so undid the actuator pin and twisted the actuator by hand until it stopped, replaced the cable pin and just like that 2 days later it was done  ... Ha !  Hope this helps anyone else as I don't believe this is a one off. Didn't find a caliper or fitting like it or I would have just done an easy change. Thanks for the replies ! 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links