Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2012 Yaris Hybrid T-Spirit Rattle/Humming Noise

EastLondonGuy

Hi,
I have recently driven a family member's Yaris 2012 Hybrid T-Spirit - lovely car.
There is a strange noise that is driving us all mad!
When the car hits a certain RPM to get a 'note' from the engine - I would say around 1800Rpm and the engine is under slight load accelerating; I can hear almost like a heatshield rattle in the car, but it's definitely not a heatshield because when I open the windows I can't hear anything outside - but you can't tell. It only happens in that rev range, i.e. 1800/1900Rpm, if you don't catch it in that RPM range you won't hear it, but if you do - it drives you mad.  I have looked in the boot, taken the space saver out, re-secured it, made sure the tool kit isn't hitting the bodywork in the boot, there's nothing else in the car, it appears to be coming from the offside rear (behind driver seat).
Any ideas and how to troubleshoot?  I think it could be something behind a door card - maybe(?)
Thanks!

There are a couple of heat shields along the exhaust pipes and silencers, check them again carefully but you need to get under the car, also while you are checking those make a note on exhaust pipes hinges m these breaks sometimes, detach from the pipe and in certified rpm start to make noises, becomes of the vibrations, very irritating. These two are common faults on Toyota hybrids. Also there are heat shielding on exhaust manifold, check those as well. 👍

903373FC-9F57-48D0-912D-BE25E1A49069.jpeg

C8FC0D8F-DDB1-4BEC-A13D-F324E56EC90B.jpeg

5508A827-886A-4DA8-82B2-13E01150D89A.jpeg

• Like 1

Extremely useful - thank you! Sounds like you’ve been through what I’ve been through. How did you resolve yours - welding? Thanks! 

9 hours ago, EastLondonGuy said:

Extremely useful - thank you! Sounds like you’ve been through what I’ve been through. How did you resolve yours - welding? Thanks! 

Yes indeed but long ago. I did not welded though, I used that stainless steel clip shown on pictures as temporary measure and I could not find any car welder or trust any garage to do it, fortunately the temporary fix turned to be a long term solution. Here is a video from when the problem happened and it’s from September 2016 now we are 2022 and the car has 206k miles, so it works 😂👍

Thanks for the video. Your rattle sounds ‘tinny’ where mines a bit more deeper rattle but only happens when you catch it at a certain rpm ie 1800. Otherwise it’s fine - I’m going to tell my local garage in the next week or two (Easter is coming up) to stick it on a ramp and inspect the items you’ve highlighted - appreciated! Will keep you posted. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links