Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Headlight Bulbs

venomx

Just been doing some learning about headlight bulbs on the MK2 Yaris.

Am I right in saying that the  drivers side is fairly easy through the bonnet, but the passengers side requires you to unclip the bumper as it's too hard to get to otherwise ?

Thanks

I thought that too, as the fusebox is in the way of the passenger-side one, but when I was at Halfords buying the bulbs I mentioned this and the guy was like, nah, you won't need to take the bumper off!

He essentially bet me the cost of what they normally charge to install the bulb that they could do it, and while it was super fiddly and took him a lot longer than the drivers' side, credit where it's due the guy did manage it!

I think you will need quite a slender hand and fingers to manage it tho'...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When changing  bulbs on a car, any bulb your best friends are a pair of mechanic gloves 🧤, they help you turn stubborn bulbs , or pull easily plugs and connectors plus most importantly save your hands from getting scratches from the nasty plastics and metal body work. 👌

• Like 2

Yeah the guy was using those thin rubbery gloves that mechanics and surgeons favour, which I think helped grip. Also stops you getting nasty finger grease on those nice new clean bulbs!

• Like 2

Also , does avoiding finger grease on bulbs stop the bulbs blowing early ?

I read this somewhere once and have adhered to it , but still don't know if it's fact or urban myth.

The theory is contamination like natural body oils can cause a smear which causes that part of the glass to be heated unevenly compared to the rest. Over time, that will stress the glass more around that area which makes it more susceptible to going pop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cyker's reply most certainly applies to halogen bulbs. I always give them a final wipe with clean tisuue soaked in meths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That makes sense, and seems good practice.

I have had some cars that always were blowing bulbs and some where none blew in years of ownership.

I'm talking pre LEDs here though, which I read last many times the life of halogen or others, but are a fortune to replace if needed,no LEDs on my Yaris, but have good results in my house lights.

In all cars I have changed bulbs in it is the filament that has gone, not the glass exploding so has touching the bulb really made a difference or is this just a myth?

35 minutes ago, Kental said:

In all cars I have changed bulbs in it is the filament that has gone, not the glass exploding so has touching the bulb really made a difference or is this just a myth?

I don’t think it’s a myth, the bulb manufacturers will tell you not to handle any part of the glass with bare hands .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links