Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speed limit reading - is there a fix?

RobN-RG

Does anyone know if there is a firmware/system update which fixes the speed limit warning system.  ie, where it seems to assume we use kph rather than mph for few miles.  It's annoying when the HUD has a red 40 when I'm only doing 30 for example.

I've e-mailed cr@toyota.co.uk about this sort of glitchiness this a couple times but still haven't had a proper response

Just be glad your one doesnt have the speed limiter like they're mandating in newer vehicles!!!

5 hours ago, Cyker said:

Just be glad your one doesn't have the speed limiter like they're mandating in newer vehicles!!!

I don't see how they can.  Councils will have to spend millions relocating/putting in speed limit signs and cutting back trees/bushes.

eg, on the business park I work on, there is a 15mph sign when you enter it, but no 30mph sign when you exit it.  Clearly my Yaris moans for half a mile until I reach the next 30-40mph sign.

• Like 1

Legally the assumption is that roads carry a 30mph limit unless signage states otherwise.

The business park would be privately owned and speed limits (eg 15mph) on the park would be at the discretion of the owners.

Frosty, RobN made the point about cutting back vegetation.  One of our roads has 3 pairs of signs exiting a 60 zone warning of the limit and a cross roads.  Several are masked by vegetation, some have been twisted from line of sight. 

Crucially one twisted on is a limit sign and the other masked until you are on it. 

Highways take the view it is for land owner to take action. The road is fast and narrow and the only safe way to cut the vegetation is road restrictions. I think that is a cop out by the council. 

Ordinarily your right of presumption is correct but in this instance it is only after the hazard that the built up area becomes clear.  Car automatic will have no chance. 

RobN made two points - one about the vegetation and one about the 15/30mph signage.

My post was in relation to the 15/30mph signage.

As regards cutting back vegetation, the local authority could be in a difficult position if they cut back privately owned trees, etc without permission. 

Aside from that with local authority budgets being so tight, without additional funding from central government, which isn't likely, I cannot see work like this being a priority.

12 hours ago, RobN-RG said:

Does anyone know if there is a firmware/system update which fixes the speed limit warning system.  ie, where it seems to assume we use kph rather than mph for few miles.  It's annoying when the HUD has a red 40 when I'm only doing 30 for example.

Yes there has just been a bulletin released:

BE-00734T-TME 7 April 2022

Subject: TSS 2.5 : Over speed audible and visual notifications revert from mph to kph while driving / every ignition cycle (UK only)

Models – Model Codes: Yaris - KSP211, MXPA11, MXPH11 ; Yaris Cross - MXPB10, MXPJ10, MXPJ15 ;

Description of the phenomenon; Some customers may experience and report Over speed Audio & Visual notification revert from mph to kph while driving or sometimes at every ignition cycle. This issue is reported only in UK.

Production change The following has been changed:
  • Software logic is improved.

• New software will be used on vehicle produced

Repair Procedure - Reprogramming

Reprogram the “Forward recognition camera” to the latest available calibration ID 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

RobN made two points - one about the vegetation.... 

As regards cutting back vegetation, the local authority could be in a difficult position if they cut back privately owned trees, etc without permission. 

Aside from that with local authority budgets being so tight, without additional funding from central government, which isn't likely, I cannot see work like this being a priority.

That is the argument we are having. 

Highways are indeed taking your line and one landowner has indeed cut back the vegetation.  As the signs are in plot corners there are 3 other landowners.  Accessibility is very difficult with access from the road being the only practicable way. It could be done at a cost but until there was enforcement nothing is happening. 

Regarding permission, I think the situation is no different from your neighbour's tree growing over your fence.  You may cut it back but must offer the cuttings back to them. 

When there is an accident then blame game on. 

I've also noticed, RSR doesn't work on Smart Motorway signals above carriageway. Not so Smart after all.

Edit - e.g. if there is a wagon in front, this obscures signage and by time sign is visible, camera cannot detect it. From a distance with clear view, it's hit or Miss.

2 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Worked on my Corolla on M25

My C-HR needs a very clear view of signal.

• Like 1

Yeah it won't work if you're e.g. drafting a lorry (Don't do that), but generally mine can read them just fine, although it doesn't always read them correctly... e.g. If it's raining it often reads (60) as (80) :laugh: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roy124 said:

That is the argument we are having. 

I'm not having an argument - just being realistic.

Lol, my argument is with Highways not you. 😄

Put a sticker in front of the camera with a tiny sign saying 120.

Drive it like you stole it.

• Haha 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links