Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mouldy foodstuffs

Hybrid21

Just thought I'd ask, anyone else had the issue with buying various food items from supermarkets in date but for some reason mouldy 😨

Recently we've had things like cheese from Tesco, Morrisons, while in date were mouldy.

Iain

Not had anything like this in recent years.

A while ago I did take some Tesco grapes back which were going mouldy within the use by/best before date. Was invited to go round the store to choose something else for the price of the grapes (£1.79). After limited further discussion around wasting my time, I got a refund.

However, some supermarkets (including Tesco) are no longer putting best before dates on fresh produce. At the time, they claimed it would stop wastage, but in reality, it was to reduce the number of customers taking back produce which had gone off before the best before dates. Some people swallowed the story about reducing waste !

• Like 1

Never like Morrisons, they cold store a lot of goods to the point it looks ok on the outside but has turned to mush almost like it was semi frozen, we tend to use asda but have noticed during lockdown, dates were a bit short or on that day

never had mould on cheese unless it was supposed to be there

• Like 1

Strawberries and raspberries often have some overripe fruit but only to be expected. 

Oranges are sometimes bad and often because of poor handling. 

Once offered a pavlova in a rated restaurant.  It has attractive blue piping all the way round.  Mrs 124 spotted it for blue mould. It was a still on sale when Environmental Health visited days later. 

• Like 1

It's because of transport delays, partly from extra red tape at the border but also the P&O stupidness

• Like 2

Blame brexit blame lack of lorry drivers blame someone, it’s the age of the blame game 😂🤣🤔

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

It's because of transport delays, partly from extra red tape at the border but also the P&O stupidness

True, but there are other factors in play the lack of staff and irregular deliveries also means a lot of the chilled and frozen stuff are left at room temperature for longer the prescribed.   The use by date assumes all of the transport and storage requirements have been met before being offered for sale, if those requirements have not been met the use by date cannot be relied upon.

• Like 1

Remember, when there's a blame there's a claim 😁😁.

• Like 1

Should get better when the ferry routes sort themselves out, but there are a lot of people off sick (Or worse going to work while sick and making everyone else sick. It's like we have learned nothing!!)

• Like 1

Yes, tomatoes mouldy and soft from Waitrose in date, but a week later sorted on receipt only.

But no problem,as customer service immediately offered to fetch any pack at same or greater price and refund too.

All supermarkets and businesses have problems with what they offer, but it is how it's put right that tells you how they view customers.

I use all the different supermarkets for different things and find that the perception of some being a lot more expensive than others is a advertising generated myth.

Some of the supposed cheap German places have soft and mouldy "fresh" produce that is only fit for the bin on purchase, that is not cheap if you throw it ,and a waste of time.

But ok for quality wine .

Ok for me I suppose,as being retired I have time to shop around.

But must be annoying for people who have to do it all in one shop

• Like 2

My wife had bought a pack of Tesco cheese yesterday morning, and when going to use it later in the day it was mouldy, but you could actually see it through the pack.

Of course I immediately said to her "why didn't you see it when you lifted it?"  🙂  She replied that she only looks at the sell/use by date.

As she needed it to make cheese sauce, took it back straight away unopened and received an apology and asked to take another off the shelf, but all the others of the same cheese and size were also mouldy 😮

The assistant gave her another similar cheese but twice the size as a replacement, so we had a lovely cauliflower and broccoli cheese sauce with dinner. 

All's well that ends well 😃

Iain

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Yes, tomatoes mouldy and soft from Waitrose in date, but a week later sorted on receipt only.

But no problem,as customer service immediately offered to fetch any pack at same or greater price and refund too.

All supermarkets and businesses have problems with what they offer, but it is how it's put right that tells you how they view customers.

I use all the different supermarkets for different things and find that the perception of some being a lot more expensive than others is a advertising generated myth.

Some of the supposed cheap German places have soft and mouldy "fresh" produce that is only fit for the bin on purchase, that is not cheap if you throw it ,and a waste of time.

But ok for quality wine .

Ok for me I suppose,as being retired I have time to shop around.

But must be annoying for people who have to do it all in one shop

I think your comment about putting things right has a wider impact than just supermarkets, I have always maintained that the difference between and good and a bad company is not that the good company does not make mistakes, they do, it is how it is put right that makes the difference.  Any problem sorted out to the customer's satisfaction and with little or no fuss is a sign of a good company.  On the other side of the coin, over the years I have built up a blacklist of companies I refuse to deal with ever again.  Sadly the list went past thirty a few years ago although four or five are no longer in business.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hornet3D said:

On the other side of the coin, over the years I have built up a blacklist of companies I refuse to deal with ever again.  Sadly the list went past thirty a few years ago although four or five are no longer in business.

Haha, I have one of those lists, a number of companies on my list have since gone bust (I wonder why) You are right, it's how we put things right that counts, sometimes it's just a simple sorry that will do

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parts-King said:

it's how we put things right that counts, sometimes it's just a simple sorry that will do

Quite right. We no longer use a certain dealer (not a Toyota dealer) to service one of our cars. Their technician broke the bonnet release catch on the car. Their words to me were that as it's a small item they would replace it as a gesture of goodwill. Despite video footage of their technician breaking it, which they were shown, I have received no apology from them and was only told that the technician is adamant he did not break it. It appears my Dashcam records footage that doesn't happen.

Needless to say, they have lost our vehicle service business, and the purchase of our new car, which is now a Toyota. 

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links