Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing sump oil seal on a Toyota Argo X-play Vvi-i

Paul Hek

Can anyone help, I’ve just had a quote to replace the sump gasket as we have a small leak, from a Nissan dealaship 

as we have always used them and had good service, but I’m taking aback with the quote I’ve received, 

lab X 8 £55 = removal of gear box ? Is this correct £440

sump reseal x 1 £ 19.79 

Net   £459.79

Incl Vat  £551.75 

would you need to remove the gear box in the first place, 

help would be appreciated 

29 minutes ago, Paul Hek said:

Can anyone help, I’ve just had a quote to replace the sump gasket as we have a small leak, from a Nissan dealaship 

as we have always used them and had good service, but I’m taking aback with the quote I’ve received, 

lab X 8 £55 = removal of gear box ? Is this correct £440

sump reseal x 1 £ 19.79 

Net   £459.79

Incl Vat  £551.75 

would you need to remove the gear box in the first place, 

help would be appreciated 

Hi, I don not know if the gearbox needs to be removed indeed, probably yes but for a small oil leak (dripping) unless mot failed there is absolutely no point of getting it fixed. I have  a small oil leak too since 2018 and was quoted crazy money to investigate and repair, I decided not to. 4 years later and many miles the leak is still the same or even less. I do use sometimes a good quality oil stop leak that also is good for all rubber and silicone seals. 
You can try this additive, just add to the oil. It will need some time 200-400 miles to work., it may help or may not but it is good for the engine, no risk of anything or trouble. 👍

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0031ROB36/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=ef9121443ed7d4a9625f855e0b2ac288&hsa_cr_id=8166161010402&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=cb03c30b-0c34-4f7b-baf7-3a1fecb55e1e&pd_rd_w=BZ6di&pd_rd_wg=fXbuL&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_2_img

Hi Thanks 

I’m not paying nearly 660 just to replace a sump gasket, I’ll try your suggestion first  

• Like 1

I had a quick look in Haynes manual, that only covers Mk1 cars (2005-2014) but for sump removal it only mentions removing the stiffener plate between sump and gearbox, so not entire gearbox. Other than that mentions remove front exhaust pipe for access and then you just unbolt sump, apply RVA sealant and re-attach etc.

That does sound a main dealer price, few years ago we had to replace very rusty/leaking sump on our Ford Fiesta and that only cost £150, including the new sump! that was an independent garage price, but kept the car going, like you I wouldn't paid that price cos the whole car wasn't worth that! 

i would go around and nip the bolts up, Who's to say it's the sump leaking

On 4/12/2022 at 7:19 PM, Paul Hek said:

Can anyone help, I’ve just had a quote to replace the sump gasket as we have a small leak, from a Nissan dealership 

Well there your problem, why would you use a Nissan dealer a good independent will be able to do the job

• Like 1

Just looked up the Toyota procedure for the Mk2 - only reason to pull the gearbox is if the leak was from the rear main seal not the Sump

4 lower bell housing bolts

it's either 13 bolts and 2 nuts or 12 bolts and 3 nuts

Absolutely no mention of gearbox removal

1567926099_1krsumpbolts.thumb.jpg.0657e317e82066fefd907a7ab122d5c0.jpg

These are the 2 inaccessible bolts (red arrows) Oh NO !!!! The gearbox has to come out.......................

Wait a minute, what's this (Yellow star) hummm :dontgetit: i wonder what that could be...........................

2093939788_1krrear.thumb.jpg.9af7ffc282777b313b285c64db706a55.jpg

9 hours ago, flash22 said:

Just looked up the Toyota procedure for the Mk2 - only reason to pull the gearbox is if the leak was from the rear main seal not the Sump

4 lower bell housing bolts

it's either 13 bolts and 2 nuts or 12 bolts and 3 nuts

Absolutely no mention of gearbox removal

1567926099_1krsumpbolts.thumb.jpg.0657e317e82066fefd907a7ab122d5c0.jpg

These are the 2 inaccessible bolts (red arrows) Oh NO !!!! The gearbox has to come out.......................

Wait a minute, what's this (Yellow star) hummm :dontgetit: i wonder what that could be...........................

2093939788_1krrear.thumb.jpg.9af7ffc282777b313b285c64db706a55.jpg

All Toyota engines has 3 major possible oil leak points:

1. Rear main seal

2. Oil galleys tap

3. Oil pan top section form in place silicone sealant 

the plastic cover is a check window for inspection of clutch kit, torque converter or fly wheel. Any oil leaks from any of these 3 places will go exactly there and it will be dripping down. I have some oil dripping from there and I believe my one is from either the silicone gasket or the galley tap.👍

CD4EA5A2-9FB9-40D1-A6AE-E51F223208DA.jpeg

14 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

All Toyota engines has 3 major possible oil leak points:

1. Rear main seal

2. Oil galleys tap

3. Oil pan top section form in place silicone sealant 

the plastic cover is a check window for inspection of clutch kit, torque converter or fly wheel. Any oil leaks from any of these 3 places will go exactly there and it will be dripping down. I have some oil dripping from there and I believe my one is from either the silicone gasket or the galley tap.👍

CD4EA5A2-9FB9-40D1-A6AE-E51F223208DA.jpeg

On 4/13/2022 at 10:00 AM, flash22 said:

i would go around and nip the bolts up, Who's to say it's the sump leaking

Well there your problem, why would you use a Nissan dealer a good independent will be able to do the job

If it's up in miles, it could the cam cover, vvti solenoid or front cover the 1kr in the Aygo all use a clutch the auto is MMT, if your core plugs are leaking you have bigger issues, rear main/front crank  seals are good for 150k+ miles if the engine has been looked after

The point was, you don't need to drop the box to do a sump seal/gasket - you can get to the 2 rear bolts via the inspection cover, where's the sarcasm emoji when you need one 🏳️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

If it's up in miles, it could the cam cover, vvti solenoid or front cover the 1kr in the Aygo all use a clutch the auto is MMT, if your core plugs are leaking you have bigger issues, rear main/front crank  seals are good for 150k+ miles if the engine has been looked after

The point was, you don't need to drop the box to do a sump seal/gasket - you can get to the 2 rear bolts via the inspection cover, where's the sarcasm emoji when you need one 🏳️

Not sure you can really do these two bolts from that window, where I open mine all I see is the flywheel, ok it’s a different engine set up but still very tiny space . 👍

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

Thanks I’ve have a better understanding for the issue know

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Not sure you can really do these two bolts from that window, where I open mine all I see is the flywheel, ok it’s a different engine set up but still very tiny space . 👍

The flywheel sits 5-8 mm off the highest rib its also recessed on the back a wobble socket or a UJ should get it

eg.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265643502665

https://eurofrance24.com/oil-sump-10090-1kr-1-0-12v-toyota-yaris.html

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links