Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Apple car play not working, can’t find the fault?

Daisy26720

Hi my Apple car play is not working in my 21 plate Aygo. I have tried many different wires and other peoples phones and it has the same issue every time. Any time the passenger picks up or touches the phone it immediately disconnects, the same when I go over a small bump in the road. Sometimes it is still connected but I can’t use the buttons on my steering wheel to change the song or volume. 

I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

I have taken it back to Toyota as it’s still under warranty but they can’t seem to find a fault, they had my car last weekend to investigate but couldn’t find anything, and now they have had my car all day today and will be keeping it another day. Is it worth putting in a complaint? 

First of all, you have taken the car into your dealer, not Toyota. Has the issue only recently appeared? If it is an intermittent fault, it may not be appearing when the dealer is investigating. Is it a data usb cable you're using or a standard usb charging cable? Has the phone been updated recently?

Have you tried the Apple Support Community?

@FROSTYBALLS

hi, the issue has been ongoing for over a month now and I have tried both types of cables. It is having the same issue with other phones too. 

I haven’t tried Apple support yet, as it’s a new car I wouldn’t expect it to be having any issues which is why I took it back to the Toyota dealer for investigation. They mentioned that theres problems with some of the older models but shouldn’t be with mine as it is newer.

I tend to feel that, at present, you don't really have anything to complain about. Your chosen dealer is investigating - unfortunately not all problems (especially intermittent ones) are instant fixes. I'd be inclined to see what their opinion is tomorrow after they've had it another day.

Have you been able to demonstrate the problem to the dealer rather than just describing it? 

With a intermittent fault like this its best to video or photograph the fault occurring so the service advisor can see the fault in action & also have a copy of the video / photo file if required. 

Had similar with a Peugeot in the past, intermittent electronic fault occurred that didn't log an error but a photograph of the fault occurring shown to the service person was enough to pin point the problem. 

• Thanks 1

Do you have a case on your phone that is restricting a good connection to the lead? From your description it sounds like a poor connection on the phone end rather than the car (as soon as a passenger picks it up etc...). Or it could be that the connector in the phone is faulty. Have you tried gently wiggling the connector when car play is running? Try both the phone end and the USB where it is plugged into the car. 

Get yourself an Anker cable, they are Apple MFi certified, the Apple ones are trash tbh

eg. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Premium-Lightning-Certified-Chargers-Black/dp/B078NPDRHL

There have been 1 or 2 instances where the USB port in the car is a bit slack and the lead is a tiny bit undersized

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Daisy26720 said:

Any time the passenger picks up or touches the phone it immediately disconnects, the same when I go over a small bump in the road.

Since you've tried other phones and other cable we have to look at the remaining common factor(s), and that's the car.

I would say that has all the characteristics of a loose USB socket on the car not properly retaining the connector, so any movement on the cable or bump in the road briefly breaks the connection.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links