Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Recommended Posts

Hi, just wondered if using sport mode has much of an impact on MPG? It’s a 2.0. I know you don’t get any more power but the throttle feels much sharper, I just wondered if there was any difference mpg wise running it. My thinking was maybe it keeps a bit more charge in the Battery to help performance as I’m sure it seems to charge the Battery more often off of the engine

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, daninplymouth said:

Hi, just wondered if using sport mode has much of an impact on MPG? It’s a 2.0. I know you don’t get any more power but the throttle feels much sharper, I just wondered if there was any difference mpg wise running it. My thinking was maybe it keeps a bit more charge in the battery to help performance as I’m sure it seems to charge the battery more often off of the engine

Hi,

in sport mode you will get lower mpg because of the sharper throttle response and quicker switch from electric to petrol when starting from standstill or even normal acceleration. In eco mode you will get perhaps the best mpg as this acts exactly opposite to sport. Best to drive in Normal mode for best performance - efficiency ratio. If you need more grunt, just push it harder and the car will respond immediately. Sport mode is good when going continuously long step uphills and the car requires a constant accelerator pressure to keep going, then your right foot will not get that much tired. 👍

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 2 litre hybrid doesn't need sport mode, it's more then quick enough in normal mode.

It's basically a gimmick copied from other manufacturers ( the German ones mainly ) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi,

in sport mode you will get lower mpg because of the sharper throttle response and quicker switch from electric to petrol when starting from standstill or even normal acceleration. In eco mode you will get perhaps the best mpg as this acts exactly opposite to sport. Best to drive in Normal mode for best performance - efficiency ratio. If you need more grunt, just push it harder and the car will respond immediately. Sport mode is good when going continuously long step uphills and the car requires a constant accelerator pressure to keep going, then your right foot will not get that much tired. 👍

Thanks that’s sort of what I was thinking. Just wondered if anyone had done back to back test between normal eco and sport to see if there was much of a difference in fuel usage 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, daninplymouth said:

Thanks that’s sort of what I was thinking. Just wondered if anyone had done back to back test between normal eco and sport to see if there was much of a difference in fuel usage 

Between eco and normal minimal difference, between normal and sport I can’t say, never tested myself in sport because if I drive in sport I will like it and then probably keep it and if I decide to go back to normal will be suicidal for me and my right foot. 😂😉👌

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It all depends on how much control you have over your right foot. If you can ask for consistent rate of acceleration across each driving mode, the MPG should be the same. The driving modes ONLY change the throttle pedal mapping (as well as steering weight, which doesn’t affect consumption) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Between eco and normal minimal difference, between normal and sport I can’t say, never tested myself in sport because if I drive in sport I will like it and then probably keep it and if I decide to go back to normal will be suicidal for me and my right foot. 😂😉👌

I've tried it a few times in the past 4 weeks that i've had my car and i love it. I have to force myself to go back to normal. My advice, don't try it.. 😂

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have an Auris Hybrid and use Power mode when wanting a quick getaway at a busy Island/junction etc. The other day even got a bit of tyre squeal from it for the first time. TC can't be turned off on my car. I drive in Normal mode mostly as prefer the pedal feel.

James.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ECO can be an issue as it limits the accelerator... and as said you need to push it harder to gain the speed increase.  Normal i have it on mostly (ECO on motorways when just cruising).

I use Sport when needing that quick boost... but then put back into Normal/ECO as required.

I have always felt that Toyota have missed a trick on not putting the Driving Mode button on the steering wheel instead of lower in front of the gear shifter.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tech429 said:

 

I have always felt that Toyota have missed a trick on not putting the Driving Mode button on the steering wheel instead of lower in front of the gear shifter.

Better positioned than it is on the Yaris, almost between the seats & right next to the T/C on off button!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Kental said:

Better positioned than it is on the Yaris, almost between the seats & right next to the T/C on off button!!!

On older models is much better positioned next to the even better joystick gear shifter. I use ev mode button every day as I drive constantly downhill and have my hybrid Battery topped up so often 🔋👍

8A27F51E-BA60-4868-9167-11D22922B837.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

On older models is much better positioned next to the even better joystick gear shifter. I use ev mode button every day as I drive constantly downhill and have my hybrid battery topped up so often 🔋👍

8A27F51E-BA60-4868-9167-11D22922B837.jpeg

At least that is in easy reach - IE your side of the gear shift... new Corolla is behind it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tech429 said:

At least that is in easy reach - IE your side of the gear shift... new Corolla is behind it.

Granted not as convenient as the Auris / Prius, but much better than the Yaris.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

On older models is much better positioned next to the even better joystick gear shifter. I use ev mode button every day as I drive constantly downhill and have my hybrid battery topped up so often 🔋👍

8A27F51E-BA60-4868-9167-11D22922B837.jpeg

That 'puck' shifter is one thing I really really wish they'd kept - The gigantic PRNDB lever they use in the newer cars is such a waste of space (And I mean that literally, not figuratively) and is just objectively worse, since it does nothing mechanically - It's just a needlessly large switch to tell the ECU what to do!

 

re. the modes, I find I can't use Sport/Pwr mode with mine as it makes the accelerator far too sensitive; Makes doing tight low-speed manoeuvres trickier as if you breath on the thing suddenly you're doing 30mph! :laugh:  Part of the reason I stick with Eco mode is for that greater pedal precision at lower speeds; If I want to go fast I'm going to mash the pedal anyway so the other modes don't make so much difference to me there.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2022 at 7:45 PM, forkingabout said:

The 2 litre hybrid doesn't need sport mode, it's more then quick enough in normal mode.

It's basically a gimmick copied from other manufacturers ( the German ones mainly ) 

Worth it just for making the dials red. Anything Red goes faster. I like red. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, BelfastSoda said:

Worth it just for making the dials red. Anything Red goes faster. I like red. 

 

And for surprising Audi drivers 🤣

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share





×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership