Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Do You Know?

silvasurfa

doooooooooodes

been thinkin about the gen6 celica a lot recently, was wandering...

how do the st and gt engines compare?

economy, top speed, bhp, the usuals,

any help gratefully received as any knowledge i used to have was based around the U S released versions,

cheers,

mike :thumbsup:

yeah the sts are 1800, actually test drove an imported gt last year, was very close to buying but my insurance werent havin it!

does anyone know a site or sumin to compare actual stats?

dymchurch, are you actually in dymchurch? just wandered cos you clearly havent got a paseo!

cars lookin very nice mate ;o)

hello people , im a new member here and i was looking for info on the 1994 -99 celicas, i followed that pr5evious link to show a 2.0gt has 173 bhp!!! test drove one , it didnt feel that much?? any opinions on the 1.8st from u guys?? all info much appreciated , cheers

I've owned 2 Celica SRs (ST with bits on), never driven the Celica GT but I now drive a mk2 MR2 that has the same engine (3S-GE).

One thing I liked about the 1.8 SR/ST (7A-FE) was that if you put your foot down, it pulled at only 1500rpm. Whereas the 3S-GE has no power below 3000rpm.

The ST has quite a poor 0-60 of 10 seconds (GT is 7.9 seconds), but it's not that noticeable as it's quite nippy 0-30 which is what most of the time you do when pulling away at traffic lights etc.

secret is 40 mph in first , then 65 to 70 in second then 3rd 4th and 5th await in a 2 litre gt. under 3000 rpm they are crap just driving them ,flog em and they go like the wind.

I've had my Celica ST for, err... just over a week now - so I'm obviously an expert :P

I took several different toyotas for a test drive before buying mine, and if you're out for a really fast car - don't buy the ST.

It's great, I love it, and for the kind of driving I'll be doing, it's perfect - but it's not a boy racer kinda thing.

It is also a fair amount cheaper on insurance :D

A

Can I please just say.................

I LOVE MY CAR. :wub: she is FAST, SEXY AND BLACK. :P

Horses for courses as ever; 1.8 is nicely torquey, great cruiser, really good MPG on long runs, cheap insurance but is slow 0-60 and is not really sporting; 2.0 has all the power but you need to use the gears, can be really exciting and if you`re daft enough could put you into trouble of various types! (hedges and law courts)

Obviously we should all have one of each.

My car - 1.8ST(AC) - wife drives it mostly - to hell with 0-60 times, in the real world where I try to live, its in gear acceleration that counts, and the 1.8 does the job...but I`d quite like a 2.0...ho hum

The 1.8 st and the 2.0 gt's are two VERY diffrent cars.

The 1.8 engine is out of a carina and is not built for power or speed.

The 2.0 3sge engine is a bomb proof performance box. only the GT4's turbo 3sgte engine is more powerful in the 4-cylinder toyota lineup.

The later versions of the 3sge produce over 220bhp standard.

No disrespect to the 1.8 owners but i would say get the 2.0gt or the 2.0 turbo GT4 or dont bother getting the celica.

The 2.0 GT is almost no diffrent on insurance and economy etc but is a lot more powerful than the 1.8.

Over one and a half times in fact. And dont worry about the lack of low down torque on the engine - you get this with all performance engines as the cams are built for high end power. All you need to do is give the engine a slight and quick rev as you go to move :thumbsup:

I had a courtesy car once while I was having my Celica SR serviced - a 1.8 Avensis (early model before the VVTi engines were introduced) so I'm quite sure that had the same 7A-FE engine in it - but it felt completely different to the Celica, alot quieter and smoother - but not as nippy.

The ST is insurance group 12, the GT is group 15 - not sure what difference that makes to the premiums to be honest. I guess it depends on the individuals circumstances whichever he can afford...

All the Toyota's I've ever had, I tend to get pretty much exactly what Toyota claim to be the 'combined mpg'. So on the 1.8 Celica I used to around 35/36mpg and in the MR2 I get around 31mpg - not wildly different, but possibly significant enough to sway someones decision...

Can I please just say.................

I LOVE MY CAR. :wub: she is FAST, SEXY AND BLACK. :P

course you can!

cheers everyone :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links