Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Misrepresented Vehicle?


gazza500
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

I purchased  a new C-HR from a dealer in December 2021.

For a number of reasons my suspicions were raised about the vehicle and on contacting Toyota directly it was confirmed to me that the vehicle was actually built in October 2020.

Am I being super picky about this or have I been misled by the dealer?

What are you thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I don't think there is any requirement to tell a customer when a vehicle was built but what immediately seems odd is why a new car would remain unsold in the current climate of long waiting lists.

If you have concerns over the condition of it then that perhaps needs addressing. For example where has it been for those fourteen months? In a showroom or stood outside in a holding pen or example Any corrosion showing such as on brake discs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is no requirement to tell you when something was made, in fact, the dealer would not have the build date on any documentation. Don't forget the pandemic started here in March 2020, sales went through the floor. It is unusual for a car to hang around for a long time, was it a special model/unusual specification? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Mooly said:

I don't think there is any requirement to tell a customer when a vehicle was built but what immediately seems odd is why a new car would remain unsold in the current climate of long waiting lists.

If you have concerns over the condition of it then that perhaps needs addressing. For example where has it been for those fourteen months? In a showroom or stood outside in a holding pen or example Any corrosion showing such as on brake discs?

yes lots of corrosion on front discs and it takes four or five braking actions for the discs to clean up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

There is no requirement to tell you when something was made, in fact, the dealer would not have the build date on any documentation. Don't forget the pandemic started here in March 2020, sales went through the floor. It is unusual for a car to hang around for a long time, was it a special model/unusual specification? 

I dont think so, it was a C-HR Dynamic, a model which does not seem to exist any longer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, gazza500 said:

I dont think so, it was a CHR Dynamic, a model which does not seem to exist any longer

I feel as though I would be rattled also if I got a 15month old car. What is it's registration date?

I think here where I am it is known as the C-LUB Bi Tone. I suppose some pictures showing the car and wheels may help with what you have. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, GBgraham said:

I feel as though I would be rattled also if I got a 15month old car. What is it's registration date?

I think here where I am it is known as the C-LUB Bi Tone. I suppose some pictures showing the car and wheels may help with what you have. 

It was registered on the 21st December 2021

IMG_0017.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you PM me the VIN - it could have been an unregistered car for the showroom, usually the floor model comes with a contract that means the dealer can't sell the car for x amount of time

what is your location ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Can you PM me the VIN - it could have been an unregistered car for the showroom, usually the floor model comes with a contract that means the dealer can't sell the car for x amount of time

what is your location ?

 

5 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Can you PM me the VIN - it could have been an unregistered car for the showroom, usually the floor model comes with a contract that means the dealer can't sell the car for x amount of time

what is your location ?

Hi Bob, I have quoted the VIN direct to Toyota and they confirm a build date of 17th October 2020. I don't really want to give away the VIN or location on here just in case the dealer (main dealer) is lurking around!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gazza500 said:

I don't really want to give away the VIN or location on here just in case the dealer (main dealer) is lurking around!

You can send the VIN using a private message, and this will only be viewable to the person you sent the message to, rather than being viewable on the open forum.

Profile changed - 'Toyota year' relates to when the car was first registered, rather than the build date or model year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to worry, i have worked out where you are located even the dealer by your pic - it could have taken 3-6 months to land at your location especially if it comes in to the UK for processing then back out

CH-R is built in Turkey it then goes out by ship from Autoport

the car may have had anything up to 30 delivery miles on it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a problem getting the correct parts for one of my cars due to this very problem.  I cannot remember the car in question and I did not buy it new but I do remember having to be careful buying parts as it was actually made the year before it was register and the later car had a number of changes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Not to worry, i have worked out where you are located even the dealer by your pic - it could have taken 3-6 months to land at your location especially if it comes in to the UK for processing then back out

CH-R is built in Turkey it then goes out by ship from Autoport

the car may have had anything up to 30 delivery miles on it

I suppose what I am questioning is that a car built in 2020 will be a 2021 model year whereas one built in 2021 will be a 2022 model year. So without knowing the vehicle and its evolution I cant quantify what improvements I may be missing in a newer model.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, gazza500 said:

yes lots of corrosion on front discs and it takes four or five braking actions for the discs to clean up

Do you mean they still look corroded at this present time or just following delivery?

Light corrosion should clear up pretty quickly with a few moderate but sustained stops from high speed.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Mooly said:

Do you mean they still look corroded at this present time or just following delivery?

Light corrosion should clear up pretty quickly with a few moderate but sustained stops from high speed.

 

the corrosion re-appears when the vehicle isn't used for a few days and the braking action sounds like there is sand on the discs until a have braked a few times.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, gazza500 said:

the corrosion re-appears when the vehicle isn't used for a few days and the braking action sounds like there is sand on the discs until a have braked a few times.

Normal 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gazza500 said:

I suppose what I am questioning is that a car built in 2020 will be a 2021 model year whereas one built in 2021 will be a 2022 model year. So without knowing the vehicle and its evolution I cant quantify what improvements I may be missing in a newer model.

Not necessarily - depends when the changeover to the next model year occurs. For example revisions to the range (dropping the 1.2T and bringing in the 2.0 hybrid) were announced in October 2019 and customer deliveries commencing January 2020, and the 2022 model year was announced in December 2022, with customer deliveries commencing when stocks of the existing models were reduced.

Europe doesn't follow the same model year system as the US - where the next model years are announced August/September of the current year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have a look at the brochures for 2020/21 the C-lub is a euro spec car so not comparable to a UK model, as it's euro spec but RHD it may well be a special order car

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, gazza500 said:

the corrosion re-appears when the vehicle isn't used for a few days

As Stivino says, that really is normal. Once a disc is shiny and 'polished' from normal braking use then any corrosion that appears after that is purely down to local conditions, moisture, salt laden air etc. Discs can get a visible layer of corrosion immediately after washing the car for example.     

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a particular problem for hybrids and EVs as, if they're being driven efficiently, 90% of the braking is done by the regen so the rust never gets cleared off and the discs can get very crusty!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share





×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership