Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


PHEV... How long does the key fob battery last?


Nick72
 Share

Recommended Posts

And what kind of Battery is it and how do you replace it?

I've only done a few k miles and had the car 11 nonths. But wondering if I should replace the Battery before Autumn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


CR 2450 is what you want, I keep one in the car.  It's a bit chunky to keep one in my wallet which I used to do with the slimmer types. I changed mine after 12 months on the bias that prevention is better than cure as I'd had a few unlock issues.  (maybe the OEM Battery was a bit rubbish) 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always turn my keys off when I'm at home; not sure it will have any impact on Battery life, just a habit I've got into.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

My dealer's servicing schedule includes an annual battery change. 

That still leaves the spare key or do they change both?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

My dealer's servicing schedule includes an annual battery change. 

So does ours, but unfortunately they seem to use rubbish quality batteries! On a couple of occasions we've had a low keyfob Battery warning relatively soon after the car has been serviced. Upon opening up the keyfob I've found an obscure make of Battery when I know I've previously fitted Panasonic. The Panasonic batteries generally seem to last two years or so with regular use.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always use Duracell batteries, relatively expensive but the seem to last well and are reliable.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My 4.4 service schedule said it should be replaced at 2 years/20k miles.

When I put it in for the service I attached the spare.

When I reviewed the invoice it didn't show batteries - fixed price service.

I queried this but they said they were changed but just don't get on to the invoice - oh really?

And the old ones are taken away by the flying pigs........

Is it so hard to just do the bl@@dy job correctly?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

That still leaves the spare key or do they change both?

Well if you keep your spare key safe in a safe....... 

I took both keys in.  I presume they changed both.  Either way I don't care as I will have handed the car over within 6 months. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

My 4.4 service schedule said it should be replaced at 2 years/20k miles.

When I put it in for the service I attached the spare.

When I reviewed the invoice it didn't show batteries - fixed price service.

I queried this but they said they were changed but just don't get on to the invoice - oh really?

And the old ones are taken away by the flying pigs........

Is it so hard to just do the bl@@dy job correctly?

I had my 4.4 for 7 years - the key fob batteries needed changing after five or six years. The dealer may have changed one earlier but I'm not aware of them having done so. They never saw the spare key and that needed changing at the same time (well, I did anyway as there's little point in having a spare that doesn't work!).

I've had the 4.5 for 22 months, haven't even considered changing key fob batteries and everything is working as it should so far. OK, maybe I should have some spares in hand but I'm not really worrying about that yet ...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, ernieb said:

CR 2450 is what you want, I keep one in the car.  It's a bit chunky to keep one in my wallet which I used to do with the slimmer types. I changed mine after 12 months on the bias that prevention is better than cure as I'd had a few unlock issues.  (maybe the OEM battery was a bit rubbish) 

Good call thanks Ernie 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Roy124 said:

My dealer's servicing schedule includes an annual battery change. 

Oh I wonder if they'll do that for me. Company car and don't pay for anything at all so I might ask. Due for service and the recall on the stability and control thing next month.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, philip42h said:

I had my 4.4 for 7 years - the key fob batteries needed changing after five or six years. The dealer may have changed one earlier but I'm not aware of them having done so. They never saw the spare key and that needed changing at the same time (well, I did anyway as there's little point in having a spare that doesn't work!).

I've had the 4.5 for 22 months, haven't even considered changing key fob batteries and everything is working as it should so far. OK, maybe I should have some spares in hand but I'm not really worrying about that yet ...

My Merc fob went flat after about 18 months so I'm thinking I should replace or at least have a spare Battery.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Nick72 said:

My Merc fob went flat after about 18 months so I'm thinking I should replace or at least have a spare battery.

It can be a real pain especially if you forget the sequence to open the door and turn off the alarm as a friend of mine did when we came back from a group walk. Luckily my Battery fitted his key fob so he used it to get in. I try to have a spare with me but SWMBO has a handbag the size of a small planet and a spare gets easily stored in there. Mind you it would take the same time as road side assistance arriving to find it again. 😀 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share





×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership