Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2002 Alphard Issues

David C Mac

Hi, I have a 2002 Toyota Alphard which is an import bought in 2016. The issues I have with it are that on start up, especially if it’s parked level or nose down a hill, it produces a pile of white smoke which doesn’t seem to happen when it’s parked nose up a hill. It lasts for about two mins before it disappears. I’ve also noticed I use a bit more oil and that my fuel (unleaded) consumption is up. There seems to be no difference in its power or acceleration and no obvious signs engine problem with power etc. However, there are two warning lights come on. TRC OFF and VSC OFF with Engine Light.
I’ve tried local garages who mostly aren’t interested as it’s an import but wondered if anyone with an Alphard had had these same  issues or anyone who could give me advice. Cheers

Pressure test the cooling system, and do a hydrocarbon test

TRC OFF and VSC OFF with Engine Light - this is a look at me the engine light is on warning nothing to do with the TRC or VSC - it just the way Toyota does things

can you read the codes or get them read,

PS. did you work for the island ferries ?

26 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Pressure test the cooling system, and do a hydrocarbon test

TRC OFF and VSC OFF with Engine Light - this is a look at me the engine light is on warning nothing to do with the TRC or VSC - it just the way Toyota does things

can you read the codes or get them read,

PS. did you work for the island ferries ?

What codes are you referring to as no garage up here has a plug in tester to suit the imported Alphards. So I’m told. 
And no, never worked for ferry company. 

I assume this is it. Under the steering column. 

The car is unleaded. 

1F198652-45FE-4906-83A4-84713EE35725.jpeg

So, a garage should be able to do a test on it and see what the codes are.

Is there a site that once you have the codes, it will tell you what they mean? 
Is this something worth buying? 

Oh yes, don't know where the wrong connector info come from, codes can be an aid to diagnosis, yes you can look up codes freely but some are manufacturer specific and have their own means

post the code(s) on the forum, there are many experienced members

if you have a community website or Facebook group, you may find someone with a code reader that can help, as i know it's not cheap, quick nor easy to get items up on the islands

Cheers, will let you know how I get on. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links