Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Electric sound

Hussain17

I’ve noticed with the 22MY Corolla it makes a distinct sound when travelling in EV mode compared to the 20MY being silent when in EV mode. I believe this is due to EU regulations. Is there a way the sound can be turned off for the 22MY Corolla?

7 minutes ago, Hussain17 said:

Is there a way the sound can be turned off for the 22MY Corolla?

No - it is a mandatory fitment and intended to alert visually impaired that your vehicle is driving nearby. See:

• Like 1

Other makes can be switched off but returns automatically on when restarting the car. 

The system on Toyota / Lexus vehicles is also smart enough to notice if you disconnect the speaker for the pedestrian acoustic warning system. 

You get used to it after a short while & forget its there. 

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

The system on Toyota / Lexus vehicles is also smart enough to notice if you disconnect the speaker for the pedestrian acoustic warning system. 

You get used to it after a short while & forget its there. 

Indeed, not even i was worried about that sound, and that's saying something. To me, it sounds like an aircraft taxiing to the runway  😅 I like it

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

Indeed, not even i was worried about that sound, and that's saying something. To me, it sounds like an aircraft taxiing to the runway  😅 I like it

Toyota s sounds awful to me as well as Hyundai and Kia. The only cool sounding Ev to date that I personally like is bmw i3 if that’s the right model called, this tiny car with narrow tyres that looks and sounds like an alien craft, 😂👍

• Like 1

A neighbour of ours has a daily visitor who has the annoying habit of reversing out of our car park reeeaaally slowly (although there's loads of space to do a 2 point turn never mind a 3 pointer).  The car makes a loud chiming noise during the reverse and I thought it might be an AVAS.  Nope, not AVAS, it's her seat belt warning chimes as she only belts up when she's finished her attempt at reversing out of the car park.  

• Haha 6

Is she a trucker or does she drive an Aventador?? :laugh: 

Ehhh this is the sort of thing insurance companies would void your insurance for in an accident...

Not sure if this is checked for during MOT yet, but if not I bet it will at some point!

• Like 1

I do wonder if there's a way to hack a different sound in, or have multiple selectable sounds... I'd love to make mine sound like a V8 or idling Harley, or maybe play For Whom The Bell Tolls in certain situations :naughty: 

Maybe that's why they don't let us have selectable sounds... :laugh: 

• Haha 2

I've heard my neighbours' Toyotas and the sound isn't that bad. It attracts the attention so it's obviously doing what it's supposed to.

But I was inside a friend's TS and I couldn't hear it from inside the vehicle so what's the problem?

• Like 2

The only time I hear mine is when driving in to / out of my garage. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 5:21 PM, Rambler56 said:

A neighbour of ours has a daily visitor who has the annoying habit of reversing out of our car park reeeaaally slowly (although there's loads of space to do a 2 point turn never mind a 3 pointer).  The car makes a loud chiming noise during the reverse and I thought it might be an AVAS.  Nope, not AVAS, it's her seat belt warning chimes as she only belts up when she's finished her attempt at reversing out of the car park.  

I knew somebody years ago that, if she was going to be late for work she took the bus rather than drive making her even later.  I asked her why one day and she replied, I usually leave home very early so there are plenty of drive in parking spaces, later there are only ones where you need to reverse and I don't do reverse.

I will add I am not knocking women drivers, strangely my wife is one and she is a much better driver than me.

• Haha 1

Tells me the wife is nearly home 😂

• Haha 1

Old habits die hard I used to do the same but it anoyed me so now just use the mirrors and the reversing camera.

After saying that noththink stoping driver from just winding down the window.

Car thinks you going to get out but why so loud?.

Bizarrely I have the opposite problem - If the car park has any kind of traffic or activity I *have* to reverse into the bay. If I go nose first and have to later reverse out of the bay to leave, the RCTA goes mental if a car/human/trolley/seagull/crisp packet even twitches in the near vicinity!

As much as I love the Mk4, it does feel like I have R2D2 on the droid equivalent of methamphetamines in the car with me sometimes...!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links