Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to replace the front exhaust pipe on my 24yo Corolla?

olddriver

The front exhaust pipe on my Corolla has cracks adjacent to two welds, the exhaust is presumably stainless, 24 years old and 150,000 miles so quite corroded.  There appears to be a clamp in the pipe to the rear of these cracks, but no slots that would indicate there is a compression joint there, just an adjacent weld, I assume that the entire exhaust system is welded together?

I know that stainless requires special welding techniques and because of the heavy corrosion I wonder if my exhaust could be welded anyway, consequently does anyone know if it is possible to replace the front part of my exhaust system  and if so how?  I assume that replacing the whole system would cost an arm and a leg.

Its just coated mild steel

a quick look shows the exhaust is 2 pieces from the factory - manifold to cat and cat to back box - it is/was available as repair sections tho

clamp - 90461-15016

the clamp may be so badly corroded, it's just rust holding hands

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

The front exhaust is no longer available, the guy in the stores said that I could get one made, anyone know where?

Thanks “flash”, I will get it to you tomorrow.

23 hours ago, flash22 said:

Front pipe shouldn't be an issue

Drop me a PM with your vin

Thanks, but I can’t input text into the message box, it is asking  me to input a url!

I bought my car in December 1998, after the latest version, at that time, came out in September 1998.  There are welds on the front pipe with no parts connected to them, in a position where they perhaps were meant to be welded to a bracket.  These welds make me think that the exhaust was designed for the earlier model and has been altered to fit my later model.  Now the spares dept used my vehicle reg to look for the part, consequently I wonder if the part on their database related to my car reflects the actual pipe fitted, ie from the earlier model and hence its discontinuation, and that the redesigned part fitted to cars manufactured later than mine would actually fit my car. Unfortunately in the old days of parts books you could find later versions but I don’t know how you would do it today.  I hope that I explained this satisfactorily.

EDIT

Just thought that I would try messaging one more time and it worked!

Thanks very much “flash”.

I haven’t compared the exhaust directly with the one on the car yet, but it looks like the general shape is right, but I don’t remember the long welds that are holding those mounts on, if mine has a mount it is certainly different and is vertical and I think went at least partially around the pipe rather than along it, maybe that’s why I remember it as a bracket: my exhaust certainly hasn’t got 2 mounts and the welds that I talked about in my fifth post are about a centimetre long and I think there were 4 of them, presumably for one mount.  When the weather warms up a bit and is dry, I will jack up the car and offer the new pipe up to compare it.  My car details are registered on eBay and it said that the pipe was not right for my car, but I thought that it was worth the risk bearing in mind the cost, and even if it is not quite right hopefully it can be easily altered/adapted to fit.  

Before the MOT 18 months ago, I sealed a crack adjacent to the 4 welds that I talked about, using a Gun Gun metal bandage and it was still leak free last summer.  Additionally, prior to last years MOT, I also sealed a crack adjacent to the bracket/mount using a Gun Gun metal bandage that I modified to fit OVER the bracket/mount, and the MOT people didn’t seem very happy  about it, which is why I thought that I should replace the front pipe before the next MOT in the summer.  

I attach some pics of the new pipe.

I will update when the weather is dry and a bit warmer.

19242B6F-B07A-4615-B16C-B5D0921FD73F.jpeg

25947537-0BFF-48B7-AC07-2F1233654895.jpeg

51315210-FC5F-4641-B586-13A5F3815841.jpeg

7795DAB4-20B3-4A29-B890-4BA6CE64ECE3.jpeg

I have just realised that the mount with the 3 holes in it could be for the gas analyser, so that is probably on the pipe on the car as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links