Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


T25 1.8 Avensis starter motor replacement


Seb_90
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

A few days ago my Avensis (T25, 1.8, 2005) didn't start in the morning pretty much the first time ever in 6.5 years I had it.

After some investigation I found out it was the starer motor. 

Now is the big question: Do I try to repait the starter motor or do I get the wallet out and get a new part?

In terms of reworking the starter, I saw some videos on YouTube and seems like all I have to do is to replace Starter brush holder? Do you think it is as simple as that or I am being naive here?

If it comes to a replacement of the whole thing, which brand should I go for? Original denso starters are like £200+ which is quite expensive for an old car for me. Are there any good aftermarket alternatives which can be recomended? It seems like all starters come with different kW and quantity of theeths as well... Which one is the right one?

I would appreciate any advice.

 

Thanks,

Seb

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Seb_90 said:

Hello all,

A few days ago my Avensis (T25, 1.8, 2005) didn't start in the morning pretty much the first time ever in 6.5 years I had it.

After some investigation I found out it was the starer motor. 

Now is the big question: Do I try to repait the starter motor or do I get the wallet out and get a new part?

In terms of reworking the starter, I saw some videos on YouTube and seems like all I have to do is to replace Starter brush holder? Do you think it is as simple as that or I am being naive here?

If it comes to a replacement of the whole thing, which brand should I go for? Original denso starters are like £200+ which is quite expensive for an old car for me. Are there any good aftermarket alternatives which can be recomended? It seems like all starters come with different kW and quantity of theeths as well... Which one is the right one?

I would appreciate any advice.

 

Thanks,

Seb

 

 

Hello I fixed my starter motor on my VW 1.9tdi and well tbh it's easy as hell to do all have 2 get is new selinoid and brushes puck and all good to go I have never fixed a Toyota one before but look up YouTube it's great I did my research on where to get Toyota starter repair kits already ages  ago so always have the info I would send this guy a message as he sends repair kits just as long as your cominuater the center piece is not badly damaged u be fine here is the into I have 

 

Carl Dawes
RepairkitsUK
Office - 01543 226222
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Seb_90 said:

Hello all,

A few days ago my Avensis (T25, 1.8, 2005) didn't start in the morning pretty much the first time ever in 6.5 years I had it.

After some investigation I found out it was the starer motor. 

Now is the big question: Do I try to repait the starter motor or do I get the wallet out and get a new part?

In terms of reworking the starter, I saw some videos on YouTube and seems like all I have to do is to replace Starter brush holder? Do you think it is as simple as that or I am being naive here?

If it comes to a replacement of the whole thing, which brand should I go for? Original denso starters are like £200+ which is quite expensive for an old car for me. Are there any good aftermarket alternatives which can be recomended? It seems like all starters come with different kW and quantity of theeths as well... Which one is the right one?

I would appreciate any advice.

 

Thanks,

Seb

 

 

Forgot to say find out how much for the parts first 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, 2009joe said:

Forgot to say find out how much for the parts first 

Thank you very much for his contact details, I will be contacring him tonight!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So this guy needs a part number of the starter. I tried to take it out today but couldn't get to the upper bolt which is hidden. Is it any good advice how to get to yet? I had to take cooling vent off to gain access. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sometimes its just the carbon brushes needs replacing but then again Its possible to have a main bearing failing or gears with tooth missing but this you will see when you remove it and inspect for dammage.

Or just take a gamble and order the brushes.

Another item of consern is somtimes the high current contacts for starter motor its a solenoid on the back of a starter motor.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Update: 

I've removed the starter motor, took it apart and found it was full of metal shavings from the used brushes. I've cleaned it all off, sanded all electrical contact points and applied new grease on the gears and shaft. It works fine for now, starts a bit better too, but I am still planning to buy new brushes on eBay and get them replaced.

Question. For now I've used Multipurpose grease from company COMMA witch datasheet states the Operating Temperature Range is -10 °C to +120°C which is not ideal for a starter motor. Can someone recommend a good grease I could apply here? 

 

 

photo_2022-09-17_14-26-01.jpg

photo_2022-09-17_14-26-03.jpg

photo_2022-09-17_14-26-05.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Seb_90 said:

Update: 

I've removed the starter motor, took it apart and found it was full of metal shavings from the used brushes. I've cleaned it all off, sanded all electrical contact points and applied new grease on the gears and shaft. It works fine for now, starts a bit better too, but I am still planning to buy new brushes on ebay and get them replaced.

Question. For now I've used Multipurpose grease from company COMMA witch datasheet states the Operating Temperature Range is -10 °C to +120°C which is not ideal for a starter motor. Can someone recommend a good grease I could apply here? 

 

 

photo_2022-09-17_14-26-01.jpg

photo_2022-09-17_14-26-03.jpg

photo_2022-09-17_14-26-05.jpg

class job boss did you get in contact with the guy i sent you a link to when i did my other vw 1.9tdi starter motor i used this video which was great and actually got my  parts from that guy but dont think he sells toyota starter motor parts. quick question the link of the guy i gave you did he say how much going to cost for new brushes puck and selinoid when in that far may as well change that to .but anyways this is the link of the vw one that i used in my older car 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2022 at 9:30 PM, Derek.w said:

I just use the comma grease its not like it operates continuously.

I was a bit concerned about the lower band of the range. I am going to France/Germany/Austria in winter with temperatures up to -20C. But after reading info online I agree with you it doesn't really matter since this is just a starter motor.

On 9/18/2022 at 11:30 PM, 2009joe said:

class job boss did you get in contact with the guy i sent you a link to when i did my other vw 1.9tdi starter motor i used this video which was great and actually got my  parts from that guy but dont think he sells toyota starter motor parts. quick question the link of the guy i gave you did he say how much going to cost for new brushes puck and selinoid when in that far may as well change that to .but anyways this is the link of the vw one that i used in my older car 

 

I didn't contact him as he needed the sticker number from the actual starter motor. But by the time I took it out I've watched enough youtube videos to know what to do and what to look out for when taking the starter motor apart. haha

I've ordered nerw brushed for about £18 on eBay

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Seb_90 said:

I was a bit concerned about the lower band of the range. I am going to France/Germany/Austria in winter with temperatures up to -20C. But after reading info online I agree with you it doesn't really matter since this is just a starter motor.

I didn't contact him as he needed the sticker number from the actual starter motor. But by the time I took it out I've watched enough youtube videos to know what to do and what to look out for when taking the starter motor apart. haha

I've ordered nerw brushed for about £18 on ebay

cool cool great job boss plus the comuator in your pic looks well just clean it in the same  way that i linked in the video. i was kina thinking if its a hard job getting that out and in maybe better jobto change the selinoid as well as if thats not expensive and might give bother later . i ran into a problem with my 1.9tdi starter motor as i ordered brushes puck from that guy in the video and well was just a  50/50 chance as there were 2 brushes puck to get and well he sent me out the wrong one but he posted me out the right ones after with a wire that moved a bit 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update:

Fitted new brushes today. Fully cleaned the gears and re-applied the grease. Unfortunately snapped plastic clip for the rubber air vent. Will have to glue it in or find another clip.

photo_2022-09-24_18-55-07.jpg

photo_2022-09-24_18-49-54.jpg

2022-09-24 18_58_27-Media viewer.png

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Seb_90 said:

Update:

Fitted new brushes today. Fully cleaned the gears and re-applied the grease. Unfortunately snapped plastic clip for the rubber air vent. Will have to glue it in or find another clip.

photo_2022-09-24_18-55-07.jpg

photo_2022-09-24_18-49-54.jpg

2022-09-24 18_58_27-Media viewer.png

class job i wonder are they the same in a 2014 toyota avensis 2.0 d4d with engine 1adftv can you please link us to the parts plus did you fancy changing the selinoid also as not sure how long they last before need changed 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well thats bound to be a big saving over a reconditioned unit.

Unfortunate about snapping a part you can maybe reinforce part with a plastic sleeve even if its just on one side.

Top Marks you can spruce it up with a coat of paint.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, 2009joe said:

class job i wonder are they the same in a 2014 toyota avensis 2.0 d4d with engine 1adftv can you please link us to the parts plus did you fancy changing the selinoid also as not sure how long they last before need changed 

I would imagine all the starter motors have similiar concept, the only difference is the accessibility in the engine bay.

I've found this link https://japancars.ru/ on this forum, just type your VIN or find the right spec car in the list and it will show you all the parts used on your car incl. exploded drawing which I found reakky helpfull. Attached is the picture of my starter.

I wasn't planning to change the selinoid just yet but will keep that in mind, maybe will do it next year in summer. I saw you can get a repair kit just for £5 on eBay.

This is the link to the brush assy: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274454910864

 

So I can't find where I can buy the rubber drain tube so will have to glue it in. 

 

2022-09-25 12_41_58-Window.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Seb_90 said:

I would imagine all the starter motors have similiar concept, the only difference is the accessibility in the engine bay.

I've found this link https://japancars.ru/ on this forum, just type your VIN or find the right spec car in the list and it will show you all the parts used on your car incl. exploded drawing which I found reakky helpfull. Attached is the picture of my starter.

I wasn't planning to change the selinoid just yet but will keep that in mind, maybe will do it next year in summer. I saw you can get a repair kit just for £5 on ebay.

This is the link to the brush assy: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274454910864

 

So I can't find where I can buy the rubber drain tube so will have to glue it in. 

 

2022-09-25 12_41_58-Window.png

you are luckey my starter motor when i put it into that jap parts catalogue the pic comes up with the brushes and wall to which is not good maybe could just get brushes and change them myself keeping the whole set up 

image.thumb.png.0d62d3cb4177906c9285a66b8ac349b5.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Roggo said:

 

why buy new when you can fix the original one in the car cheaper .thats why when buying starter motors they want you to send your old one back as such a easy fix and a good money spinner .just clean a bot and put in new brushes and maybe a new selinoid then its a new starter 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership