Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Washing car with Toyota ProTect on

PAISLEY1903

13 hours ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

Got myself some polar blast and polar wash today and with my Titan Power washer I gave the car a good wash.  was probably first time it was enjoyable haha reminded me of my younger days in Ibiza having a foam party. 

I do like the Polar foam as a pre wash. I also use it in a hand pumped sprayer, gets to 3 bar, which is very effective in the winter when freezing temperatures prohibits using the pressure washer some of the time. Very effective at spraying under the wheel arches to clear away salty road dirt.

It's not a cheap item but does work well the only downside is the need to pump the handle to get the pressure, I had to be careful how I phrased that last comment?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JFFL9ZP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

If the coating has been on a year, then it’s probably worn off. If you want a similar effect, which is DIY & affordable. Look at Collinite 476S wax. That lasts for 6 months, and keeps the car cleaner & beads surface water really well. At £30 a tin, that will last you a few years. Wash with a PH neutral shampoo & use tar remover, iron remover & clay bar for maximum longevity. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Forvask Autoglym Polar Blast and Polar Wash I got through Amazon will probably be my priority now. I didn't know washing a car could be so much fun. When I found a nissan silvia s14 for sale on http://www.jdmbuysell.com/for-sale/nissan/silvia/, I immediately decided it was mine. At first, I trusted others to wash it. And the result was not always to my satisfaction. Now with these detergents, I wash them myself with love. And there is a hand sprayer for this, no problem. You can work by hand sometimes. The important thing is the result.

Watched a program few years ago comparing car wash methods and using microscope to check how they affect the paint.  Among hand car washes, automatic car washes, use of jet washes, etc, the better results were the auto car washes with those massive scrubbers that sound like they are absolutely destroying your car.

I used to wash car and bikes in maximum detail, bikes were stripped down, all fairing, seats, etc.  Cars were equally given hours to wash, body, underneath, wheels, dry with filtered compressed air, wax it, polish it.....Then go for a drive/ride in the rain!

Good of becoming old is the changes in your priorities 😆 

• 2 months later...

Bringing this alive again at this time of year when you really can't be bothered bringing out the jet washer but car covered in muck and grit from winter weather...  

1 year in with toyota protect on it and scared to take it to the local hand-wash or asda self service jet wash if their shampoo has wax in it...    

Probably over thinking it but value opinion !

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody have long time experience with the Toyota Protect coating? I've been looking at different options to my car, that is when I get it. I think Toyota promises the coating up to 5 years durability, in perfect conditions that is I guess. In my country they charge now 410€ for it, other similar products are between 600...1200€ with the same 5 year statement, some will give a 3 year warranty for it.

It's just a generic ceramic coating; Here they don't advertise it as Toyota Protect but use Supagard and Gen3Glasscoat which is applied by the dealer.

I had the Supagard type on mine but I strongly suspect my dealer didn't even apply it, but luckily Supagard were happy to send someone down to clean the car and apply it.

The hydrophobic properties lasted not quite a year, maybe 8-9 months tops, but the coating does still seem to be doing something as bird poop is still easier to remove than I'm used to on my previous cars - The best example was a disc of poop about 2 inches across (What are these birds eating??) that was tar-like, and on past cars I've had to soak such things with a paper towel and soap for ages to soften it up enough and then painstakingly dislodge it as it breaks up, but in this case some gentle poking made it slide off in once piece.

The effect has declined tho' and I'm in what, my 2nd year of ownership I think; No way would it last 5 years if it's the same one as mine!

I've heard of tougher coatings that are rated for 5 years but they usually need a few days to apply properly.

TBH you'd be better off saving the money and buying a decent ceramic coat yourself and getting a professional detailer to apply it, as it will be cheaper than the Toyota one.

The guy who came down to reapply it said he normally only charges £120-150 to do it vs the £300 Toyota charge!

• Like 1

I think think it might depend on the market area if they sell it the coating as Toyota ProTect or as something else. In my market they say it's a DuPont product. Found this commercial video with close to none actual info about the actual product:

https://youtu.be/J3IhTcuP1Q4

There are (too) many different products available in the detailing shops, but the "good" products that they say will last for 3 years and more start with 500€ going to 1000€ and more (in Finland) if the car needs two step (or more) polishing. Most of the better products seem to require even for new cars one step polish to make sure adhesion is adequate. The "good" stuff needs a sufficient curing time too (most products 12...24h and no washing for a week). Consumers can't find the good stuff on retail shops most of the time, the manufacturers/importers tend to sell those to professionals only. The cheaper stuff that they say will last for a year or two costs only 150€...300€. I found one manual online in Finnish (some mechanic uploaded it there?) about applying the Toyota Protect coating and it seems that they do normal washing to the car and then apply two different components on the car, so it might not be as bad as the cheap one component stuff but not as good as the more expensive stuff.

The Supagard and Gen3 Glasscoat I can't find in my country (Finland), they might market those with another product name though, but seems that many of the products are domestic and might have been developed for harsher conditions (salt on the roads 4-5 months of the year).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links