Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Carina Journey

Somethingfunny

Hey there!

Still relatively new here, but I wanted to show you my Carina. It's a 1.6 base Hi-life with a 5 speed manual and base 4AF.

In a bit of a sad state at the moment due to her sitting outside for about 7 months in a field. Currently sitting at 114,490 miles, she runs well if feeling a bit worn. 

Please ignore the rust, incorrect Battery, weird idling sound, Poorly fitted airfilter cover, crimped hoses and oil leaks

20220918_164355.jpg

• Like 1

... the welding required in the boot, Loose Spoiler, Broken radio and scratched glass.  On it's own, none of those are major issues, but combined might take a while to sort out. 

Obviously the two main things at the moment I'm going to focus on once payday hits will be the oil leaks and rust hole. Fingers crossed that it'll only be a weld.

20220915_150027.jpg

20220918_164410.jpg

20220915_102557.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/19/2022 at 10:19 PM, Toyota4age said:

Is she a keeper?

Aye. Only a Laundry list of minor problems to deal with like the welds. 

In the far, far future I wanted to swap out the engine for a late 4AFE from a Carina/late Corrolla. Injection, vvt and an extra 30hp sounds great but that's a long way off. 

I could put an 4AGE in, but for insurance, economy and cost reasons, a regular FE will be fine

combine the newer engine and no need to follow catalytic converter/emissions guidelines, she might gain a decent bit more power But again, that's a year or 2 off 😄

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 2:08 PM, Somethingfunny said:

I could put an 4AGE in, but for insurance, economy and cost reasons, a regular FE will be fine

Surely you'd get a car like this on a Classic car insurance which would be fairly low to start with? These insurers are also quite accepting of such mods. Might be easier to source an FE engine though.

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2022 at 10:19 AM, APS said:

Surely you'd get a car like this on a Classic car insurance which would be fairly low to start with? These insurers are also quite accepting of such mods. Might be easier to source an FE engine though.

Yep. Only £400 right now a year. Ideally I would put in an FE engine, but after being with the car for a bit longer I have have realised that the electricals are a bit problematic due to essentially being jury-rigged and taped together for the last decade or so. The starter motor keeps breaking and I have no idea why. 😔

Oh, the joy of electrics 🙂 Either sort the existing electrics out now, or start afresh with different engine and rebuild the electrics to suit. There may not be much difference in the amount of work and headscratching.

Starter motor - corroded solenoid or worn brushes. Take it out and have a look. It's a faff but not complete rocket science. Or hand it in for a rebuild / buy a rebuilt.

How much do you drive that car - daily? £400 sounds a bit high. Of course, you may be young and live in a more expensive post code area. I pay well below £100 fully comp, with 3k miles limit for my 89' cars with mods declared, although no agreed value.

12 hours ago, Somethingfunny said:

Ideally I would put in an FE engine

Could you not put a set of bike carbs on the existing F engine? That could potentially give more power than the FE and requires no electrics.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 11:46 AM, APS said:

Could you not put a set of bike carbs on the existing F engine? That could potentially give more power than the FE and requires no electrics.

That's a great idea, would you suggest any models?

I wanted to find out how backwards compatible the newer Corolla/ Avensis'es could be in terms of parts? Reusing 2000s Corolla parts where I can would probably be the cheapest option, stuff like braking systems, suspension comp. And so on might fit?

On 11/18/2022 at 11:46 AM, APS said:

Another thing I was planning on doing with removing the catalytic converter. Would late 4AF engines pass without one? It was registered a few months before it became a legal requirement, so no reason keeping it on 😁

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I have spare parts if you ever needed anything 🙂. Drop me a message if ever in need. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links