Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car won't go into steering lock

Bruce Lea

The Auris hybrid doesn't have a steering lock function, but the other models of Auris do. 

I spotted this when I had the upper steering column out for a fault diagnosis.  There isn't even a hole on the steering shaft for the lock bolt to slide into.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gerg said:

The Auris hybrid doesn't have a steering lock function, but the other models of Auris do. 

I spotted this when I had the upper steering column out for a fault diagnosis.  There isn't even a hole on the steering shaft for the lock bolt to slide into.

👍 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerg said:

Ahaaa, this why I can turn the wheels freely side to side when working on the car. Not sure if this is possible with locked car though and not sure if the car has tilt sensor ( talking about first gen top spec car) because as far as I remember once  I start lifting the front and the alarm went off, but again it might all that happens to another car and mixed memories in my head. 😉👍

• Like 2

Hybrids do have a steering lock, it's an electrical motor bolted to the top of the column (push button start only)

when getting out of the car turn the car off, open the door and press the door switch you will then hear the motor lock,

of course if you have smart locking with keyless go you will not hear it as its already detected the key is in range

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, flash22 said:

hybrids to have a steering lock, it's an electrical motor bolted to the top of the column (push button start only)

But might the Auris have a different arrangement?

This is a picture of an Auris hybrid 2013 steering column (left) next to a Auris 1.2T 2016 column.  IIRC, the cut-out they share (visible on both) is for the wiper control/indicator/clock spring assembly to locate onto.

P1120057.thumb.JPG.88e49235f6547d317f1acf3e7ef4266d.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Do you know if I need to replace my one on gen 1 Auris push button start is it the same as the gen 2 Auris ? My car is getting old and parts are less widely available new or used. 
Thanks 

• Like 1

The parts are the same across the years, tbh , don't fix what ain't broke

parts also cross to other models like the yaris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

The parts are the same across the years, tbh , don't fix what ain't broke

parts also cross to other models like the yaris

Good to know. Thank you. Definitely not touching it until it’s broken. 👍