Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New UK member trying to keep his beloved 2003 Yaris on the road :)

Mike96

It's a late French-built Mk 1. I've loved this car for about 13 years now, and it's done me proud, so I've joined to go on the prowl for any tips that may help me to keep it going!  Only memorable issues were a Lambda sensor c 2015, alternator in 2019 (independent repair guy fitted part from scrapyard), and then, last month, what seems to be the usual exhaust detachment near the back box, a saga I may post about if anyone's interested.  

• Like 3

The car is generally very reliable - When it starts getting old the biggest enemy is rust!

My bro's poor Mk1 D4D finally failed its MOT due to rust on the rear subframe and front suspension arms.

• Like 2

Like Cyker says, rust.

Maybe you could look into "rust busters"website.

If the underside of the car is not too far gone, it looks like they know what they're doing.

The full treatment is £600 Inc vat.

I am at the moment still waffling about whether to have it done on my 2003 Yaris.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The car is generally very reliable - When it starts getting old the biggest enemy is rust!

My bro's poor Mk1 D4D finally failed its MOT due to rust on the rear subframe and front suspension arms.

I had a glance at it when it was on a ramp yesterday and could see a fair bit of rust on sills and suspension mountings, that's for sure.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Like Cyker says, rust.

Maybe you could look into "rust busters"website.

If the underside of the car is not too far gone, it looks like they know what they're doing.

The full treatment is £600 Inc vat.

I am at the moment still waffling about whether to have it done on my 2003 Yaris.

For my car, much as I love it, a serious rust treatment probably wouldn't make sense. Do you think there might be much benefit in doing an unserious rust treatment myself? 

• Like 1

Yes, I do.

My only reason for not having a go myself is inability to do so.

There are a few helpful threads on here about this, including one of my own with very good answers.

The main thing is to catch it while it is still surface rust, wire brush it off and treat it before it turns into structural corrosion.

• Like 2

frist of all welcome to the club. there is a high change some other yaris owners can help you

• Like 1

wire brush it back, cure the rust and protect it, the jap built cars tend to rot worse than the french built ones, both go around the rear inner and outer sills, beam/suspension and beam mounts

a car of this age will need preventive maintenance, if not it will need welding in a few years or sending to the scrap yard

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I ventured over the border into Nottinghamshire today to have a look at a small industrial estate with a few car repair and mechanic businesses.

After the usual border formalities at the Dunham bridge of paying 40p ,showing passports and changing currency into Nottinghamshire tokens, I found the well hidden group of small garage set ups.

I hope that I have found what I have been looking for, someone with ramps who will wire brush the surface rust from the underside of the Yaris and treat it at a reasonable price.

Seemed a really nice man who talked sense and made no attempt to BS.

Surrounded by other small garages doing services, bodywork and car sales.

Fingers crossed 🤞.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links