Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Catalytic converter Yes/No ???????????????

JARC1

2012 Avensis T Spirit 2.0 Diesel D4D 

New to using diesel engines.

Am getting confusing and contradictory findings. Some say YES and others say NO. I would have thought that due to the year of manufacturer the car would legally need to be fitted at manufacture with a Cat. Conv.

Would also appreciate some definitive answers on usage or not of DPF cleaners and Diesel System cleaners in fuel. 

Can someone offer a definitive answer, or published item, on these matter please. 

Best Wishes and Regards, John

Yes your car does have a Catalytic converter, it is integral to the manifold down pipe installed in line prior to the DPF

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Yes your car does have a Catalytic converter, it is integral to the manifold down pipe installed in line prior to the DPF

Lee

Many thanks.

Regards, John

Would also appreciate some definitive answers on usage or not of DPF cleaners and Diesel System cleaners in fuel. 

Can someone offer a definitive answer, or published item, on these matter please. 

26 minutes ago, JARC1 said:

I doubt there will ever be a definitive answer.

Even papers, investigations etc., some have bias, some say yes and some say no.

Maybe just try one?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JARC1 said:

[Piers has just beaten me to it!]

(Re: catalyst - Lee works at a Toyota dealership, by the way).

Whilst I'm not looking that hard, I don't remember seeing published evidence to answer your question.  I suspect any shortage of answers for you will probably be on account of that.

I do have a diesel car, but it's not a Toyota and it doesn't have a DPF.  But, in my opinion, and from what I've read from many owners, fuel system cleaners do work, although, if by chance your fuel system is already clean, then they aren't going to show any difference. 

Engines from different manufacturers will have slightly different injection technology (and consequently 'weaknesses') and  may respond to fuel additives differently, so a broad judgement on them is harder to make.

The fuel filter in diesels is much more of an essential service item than in a petrol car, and is usually 'guilty until proven innocent' with many oddball diesel engine problems. The fuel does sometimes suffer from water, biological nasties and more. 

DPFs are not designed to be cleaned, and if the engine is running correctly and getting properly hot (e.g longer journeys, faster roads) should last around, say, 150,000 miles.  But, take that with a pinch of salt - it's a guesstimate, I've never seen someone commit to a figure...  Perhaps this thread will prompt owners who've had DPF cleaning success to explain what happened?

It's worth remembering that the DPF fills with soot (relatively bulky) in normal use, which is then heated up (by fast engine use or an engine-prompted 'regen') and turns to ash (metallic salts - much less bulky).  DPF problems often stem from when that conversion doesn't take place, and the DPF slowly gets bunged up with soot.

Hope that is of some use, and someone else can answer your question more directly, and briefly.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gerg said:

[Piers has just beaten me to it!]

(Re: catalyst - Lee works at a Toyota dealership, by the way).

Whilst I'm not looking that hard, I don't remember seeing published evidence to answer your question.  I suspect any shortage of answers for you will probably be on account of that.

I do have a diesel car, but it's not a Toyota and it doesn't have a DPF.  But, in my opinion, and from what I've read from many owners, fuel system cleaners do work, although, if by chance your fuel system is already clean, then they aren't going to show any difference. 

Engines from different manufacturers will have slightly different injection technology (and consequently 'weaknesses') and  may respond to fuel additives differently, so a broad judgement on them is harder to make.

The fuel filter in diesels is much more of an essential service item than in a petrol car, and is usually 'guilty until proven innocent' with many oddball diesel engine problems. The fuel does sometimes suffer from water, biological nasties and more. 

DPFs are not designed to be cleaned, and if the engine is running correctly and getting properly hot (e.g longer journeys, faster roads) should last around, say, 150,000 miles.  But, take that with a pinch of salt - it's a guesstimate, I've never seen someone commit to a figure...  Perhaps this thread will prompt owners who've had DPF cleaning success to explain what happened?

It's worth remembering that the DPF fills with soot (relatively bulky) in normal use, which is then heated up (by fast engine use or an engine-prompted 'regen') and turns to ash (metallic salts - much less bulky).  DPF problems often stem from when that conversion doesn't take place, and the DPF slowly gets bunged up with soot.

Hope that is of some use, and someone else can answer your question more directly, and briefly.

well reguards dpf im sure il come across that problem as i dont do heavy long drives hardly and well when i do long drives the car is in 6th gear going along at 1200 rpms tbh i was never much of a fan reving the ******* out of diesel cars for a long time there designed to be driving everywhere in low rpms in hig gear just crusing along. this dpf thing the manufactures put in to get down the carbon values to the air and sell cars we all know that dpf r ******* and well the only way is to gut out the insides of the dpf and remap the ecu dpf out of the car. but with mot testes not sure if that will fail the test plus if do test and find no dpf might get a fine but suppose the cost maybe more to fix it and  remaping the ecu and taking out the insides of the dpf might be the only way tbh with fk all to loose 

4 hours ago, 2009joe said:

well reguards dpf im sure il come across that problem as i dont do heavy long drives hardly and well when i do long drives the car is in 6th gear going along at 1200 rpms tbh i was never much of a fan reving the ******* out of diesel cars for a long time there designed to be driving everywhere in low rpms in hig gear just crusing along. this dpf thing the manufactures put in to get down the carbon values to the air and sell cars we all know that dpf r ******* and well the only way is to gut out the insides of the dpf and remap the ecu dpf out of the car. but with mot testes not sure if that will fail the test plus if do test and find no dpf might get a fine but suppose the cost maybe more to fix it and  remaping the ecu and taking out the insides of the dpf might be the only way tbh with fk all to loose 

A regular trip on the motorway will keep the DPF clean.  Although you might be better off with a petrol car if you do small mileage.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links