Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

After-market Head Unit and loss of reverse camera guide lines

Ontic_distinction

Hi All,

I bought an Estima today and the trader has retro fitted an aftermarket Chinese Android based head unit - he has also given me the original unit.  

Whilst the Android based unit still shows the reverse camera the view appears to show things to be further away than they actually are, or at least that was my experience reversing on to my drive earlier tdoay.

In addition the reverse camera guidle lines do not appear. Is there a way to resolve these issues with this type of head unit and if not is there a particular model of head unit anyone can recommend that includes the guide lines? Apologies in advance if this has already been asked.

It's cheap Chinese tat, the guidelines are produced by the head unit as a video overlay, not 100% but not many aftermarket systems do guidelines

is it the factory camera of a cheap Chinese item ?

Edit. The pioneer SPH-DA250DAB does guidelines, but i would fit a better camera or 2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

It's cheap Chinese tat, the guidelines are produced by the head unit as a video overlay, not 100% but not many aftermarket systems do guidelines

is it the factory camera of a cheap Chinese item ?

Edit. The pioneer SPH-DA250DAB does guidelines, but i would fit a better camera or 2

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your response - I believe it is the factory camera but will check with the trader if he gives me the time of day, now that he's been paid.

The head unit is something known as an ALPS FF-5000 mtk 8227L with a 10" screen by the look of it - this appears to be the type of head unit a lot of  traders retro-fit to Jap imports - they're undoubtedly getting these in cheaper than you would a Kenwood, Pioneer or Sony etc and very likely help them sell their cars.

As you say the guidlines are produced by the head unit; another thing is that the  camera is stuck on a fish-eye style view and makes things appear further away than they really are  - so if this persists the reversinng camera will have limited utility.

I've also been told you can fiddle with the settings on some of these generic head units to produce some limited guidelines ( for instance the steering guidlines will usually be omitted accordinng to my source).

I'll investigate further and update.

Thanks for the tip on the Pioneer Unit.

From your description it sounds like the original camera has been changed.  The fish eye wide angle would not be a head unit option it's a lens on the camera. My previous chinese head unit's had the guides on the camera, buy a different camera get a different set of lines or no lines at all determined bu cutting or connecting the white or red spare looking wire on the camera.  If you have the origional factory camera you can get a conversion connector from eBay to allow you to use it with the chinese head end.

That's my experience from the last 3 chinese head ends and camera swaps including the current one.

• 1 year later...

Hi, can you tell me what conversion connector would work or show a link.  I was hoping to use the factory installed camera of my 2005 previa to connect to a new Android unit.

Also any help or pointers on that topic would be great as i had assumed that i could just plug it all in without , what appears to be , a mapping of lots of wires etc!  … Doh!

I used one from an auction site, on mine it didnt work so I replaced the camera for a different one. I think I still have the converter, no guarantee but if you pay the postage I would send it for you to try.

2 hours ago, JohnGW said:

I used one from an auction site, on mine it didnt work so I replaced the camera for a different one. I think I still have the converter, no guarantee but if you pay the postage I would send it for you to try.

Yes i can do that.  Do you want to pm me the details.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links