Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

EV

David Dougherty

Hi why is it my 2021 Yaris Design continues to charge Battery when Battery full and rarely goes into EV mode.

It also puts charge into the Battery From the electric motor plus  the engine.

This has only been happing last couple of days

Hi, 

the weather has changed during the last couple of weeks and so is the behaviour of the Toyota hybrids. The system will run the engine longer than usual to warm up itself and provide heating to the cabin. All of that happening it’s normal hybrid behaviour and there is nothing to worry about. You may also notice reduced mpg with marginal difference up to 10mpg  between summer and winter. , also typical for hybrids. If you want to intervene with the system decision you can switch hvac off and the car will remain in ev mode faster and for longer but you will sacrifice on comfort and also may introduce moisture into the cabin, not healthy for you and for the hybrid Battery. Best to keep hearing ON but may reduce the temperature settings (22c° -> 20c°) also works. 👍

• Like 3

And other services too, heated rear screen (later on), heated seats, heated steering wheel, wipers. 

At least with the hybrid you will not run out of 12v with the car in Ready mode. 

One time, in a Swedish car, after a 12 mile run, all lights including fogs, max fan, wipers, heated seats, my Battery died when I parked up at the shops with just side lights.  You should not get that deficit in the hybrid. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

the weather has changed during the last couple of weeks and so is the behaviour of the Toyota hybrids. The system will run the engine longer than usual to warm up itself and provide heating to the cabin. All of that happening it’s normal hybrid behaviour and there is nothing to worry about. You may also notice reduced mpg with marginal difference up to 10mpg  between summer and winter. , also typical for hybrids. If you want to intervene with the system decision you can switch hvac off and the car will remain in ev mode faster and for longer but you will sacrifice on comfort and also may introduce moisture into the cabin, not healthy for you and for the hybrid battery. Best to keep hearing ON but may reduce the temperature settings (22c° -> 20c°) also works. 👍

This can be a possible reason.

Another one could be GPF filter cleaning ( expecially if car is used in town for short trips ).  

See my answer on the Yaris Cross Hybrid System topic

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/209721-yaris-cross-hybrid-system/?do=findComment&comment=1664808

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Dougherty said:

Thanks for reply very helpful 

You are welcome 👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links