Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto Stop/Start Function ?

152bobby

I've had my new replacement Aygo X Cross for about a week or so and not once has the Auto Stop Start kicked in .

I know how this works with all the variable reasons why it may not work.

However, I'm concerned that there may be a issue with the system.

On my previous Aygo X Cross, it worked like I would expect it to work.

And NO I have not deactivated it by pressing the switch on the dash.

Any ideas ?

depends if your also running A/C or have the fan running high?

• Like 1

Yep, I know all that, nothing high or demanding running, however, tomorrow I will turn absolutely everything off and if it does not kick in, I'll talk to Toyota.

• Like 1

You're probably better off without it tbh, it almost never worked in my Mk2 Yaris either; I suspect it was because of the 12v Battery, as there has to be a high State of Charge and temp and other conditions have to be just right for the ECU to deem it safe to engage the stop-start.

As the Battery in the Mk2 was fairly old I think it just couldn't get the SoC high enough to meet the threshold.

I considered changing the Battery, but the cost of it would have dwarfed any fuel savings I would have made so didn't bother in the end (Good thing too since I ended up getting rid of it!)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

If your battery voltage is low it will not stop start but just keep running to charge up the battery.

I've done over 300 miles, so it should be charged !!

2 minutes ago, Cyker said:

You're probably better off without it tbh, it almost never worked in my Mk2 Yaris either; I suspect it was because of the 12v battery, as there has to be a high State of Charge and temp and other conditions have to be just right for the ECU to deem it safe to engage the stop-start.

As the battery in the Mk2 was fairly old I think it just couldn't get the SoC high enough to meet the threshold.

I considered changing the battery, but the cost of it would have dwarfed any fuel savings I would have made so didn't bother in the end (Good thing too since I ended up getting rid of it!)

Whether I want to use it or not, I have to find out if there are any issues, such as a bad Battery !

• Like 1

Thinking about this more and thinking back to my first Aygo X Cross, the Auto Stop/Start did not start working for a very long time (cannot remember at what mileage), so I'll give it a while yet and see what happens.

Maybe the Battery has to get "conditioned" or something before it starts to perform as it should.

1 hour ago, BobbyMcLeish said:

Thinking about this more and thinking back to my first Aygo X Cross, the Auto Stop/Start did not start working for a very long time (cannot remember at what mileage), so I'll give it a while yet and see what happens.

Maybe the battery has to get "conditioned" or something before it starts to perform as it should.

I don’t want to burst your bubble on that theory but the stop start was working on my Aygo X when I was driving out of London, it had about 8 miles on the clock at that point. I’ve done a few short Journeys in the last week since getting it home, and it’s worked after less than a mile journey from my house (like today for example), engine shut off whilst the wife loaded the shopping in the car, then immediately started after a driving input from myself.

I have a manual gearbox, so I don’t know if that makes any difference?

What about placing a Battery conditioner charger on the Battery to make sure it is fully charged? (If you have one) I regularly use a Ctek charger on my classic car to keep the Battery tip top.

I suppose some might say why should you have to on a brand new car, but I find it is better to go armed with information to a dealer, so the easy stuff is already eliminated.

Consider it burst 😂. I'm not faffing around myself on a brand new car.  I'll arrange to pop up to Toyota.  It should take them a drive around the block to work out it's not working ...it must be pretty straightforward, it either works or it doesn't !!

• Like 3

Bobby,

It is an ECU issue that will be easily sorted by your garage'

Tel

• Thanks 1

Mine has worked from the day I picked it up. Yes there are occasions when it doesn’t, but they’re due to it not having time to recharge or due to the climate control needing the engine running.

I think you know this already as I seem to remember you mentioning it yourself in another of your posts, but the amount of pressure applied to the brake pedal also has a bearing on if it kicks in.

On 10/8/2022 at 3:24 PM, BobbyMcLeish said:

I've done over 300 miles, so it should be charged !!

Not necessarily could be a weak alternator, start it up it should read 13.8v-14.5v from alternator plus the stop start feature needs a part of the battery  

Waste of time anyway. I always sit at lights etc with my clutch depressed as that is the way I drive which saves a lot of faff and you get away quicker.

• 2 weeks later...

Just collected my Aygo X Cross after it being "investigated" by a Toyota Technician.  They found nothing wrong with it.

I was told it was taken for a road run and the Stop/Start function was working !!

I got all the technical info on how Stop/Start work etc etc and what I should be doing...honestly, I know a lot about this, but to be honest, if I did not test drive the demo car for 4 hours and have my first Aygo X for 2 months, I would be none the wiser with my current Aygo X.

It worked fine on the 10 minute drive home 🥺🥺🥺.

I just don't get it, did they actually do anything to it and not tell me !!

Anyway, I'm going to keep a eye on it and if it stops completely again (in all scenarios), I have said it will be back for a full battery/starter motor etc test/investigation.

Just thought I'd share the outcome.

• Like 4

All that is wrong is that you Bobby are a gentle, smooth driver who never normally brakes hard.

Simple,

Tel

My stop start worked from day one. It is not though a smooth operation. It reengages noisily and with a *****. With my previous vehicles it was a gentle start up.

The AygoX system is in that way different that it is controlled also by the severity of braking.

If you come to a complete stop, you need to push the brake harder than normal so the start stop will activate.
If you come to a stop pressing it gently, the SS won't engage.
Did you try that ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, haelewyn said:

The AygoX system is in that way different that it is controlled also by the severity of braking.

If you come to a complete stop, you need to push the brake harder than normal so the start stop will activate.
If you come to a stop pressing it gently, the SS won't engage.
Did you try that ?

Yes, I also knew about the pressure in the brake pedal, believe me, I tried everything prior to taking it in.

I can't say about the toyota.

Just know that my renault always found that not all conditions were met to engage the start stop system.

Then when I did a more than 50 km ride, it worked.

The next day it stopped again.

I suspected at that time Battery voltage (don't know if the car computer checks cranking amps) was usually below the very high threshold for several years in a row.

It could be that your garage put the car on a charger and then it went better for a short while.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Somewhat annoyingly mine works 'too well'. I tried selecting 'extended' duration on the settings but does not seem to make a difference: engine will stop within a matter of seconds.

The setting only controls the duration of the start stop system WHEN THE AIRCONDITIONING SYSTEM IS ON. 

You can choose between standard and extended.

This has an influence on the amount of time the engine is switched off.

3 hours ago, haelewyn said:

The setting only controls the duration of the start stop system WHEN THE AIRCONDITIONING SYSTEM IS ON. 

You can choose between standard and extended.

This has an influence on the amount of time the engine is switched off.

Thank you for that explanation. So just means the temp may deviate further before the engine starts when the car stopped. A facility to extend the time before stopping the engine would have been good.

Hi I don't know if this is the same but we have a Vauxhall combo and the stop start won't work  unless the front wheels are str8. Yeaa sounds daft but yes wheels need to be str8 seat belt must be on an passenger door needs to be closed 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links