Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sat down - Heads up ?

Bper

if offered a choice between Satellite navigation and Head-up Display which would you choose.

HUD, can mirror phone app sat nav on the info screen or use a standalone sat nav. I wanted the HUD, but no option available from April for the Yaris. 

• Like 2

I would have HUD my sat navigation is to unreliable, also I would not be distracted trying to look at the sat nav screen.

With the boys in the back messing around can't take eyes of road. 

• Like 2

Funnily enough the two things that swung the Mk4 Yaris for me was the option of a HUD and lack of built-in satnav, so very much a HUD vote for me!

I've never liked manufacturer satnavs because they often don't support them long term and even when they do support them the updates are normally far more than it would be for a standalone one, and it always feels bad being forced to pay for something you ultimately won't use.

But in this case I saved that money since it wasn't included at all, and I could option the HUD so win-win! :biggrin: 

It will be interesting to see if that changes when/if I ever get an EV, as EVs are *extremely* dependent on satnav for finding charging points and planning charge stops en-route.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Funnily enough the two things that swung the Mk4 Yaris for me was the option of a HUD and lack of built-in satnav, so very much a HUD vote for me!

I've never liked manufacturer satnavs because they often don't support them long term and even when they do support them the updates are normally far more than it would be for a standalone one, and it always feels bad being forced to pay for something you ultimately won't use.

But in this case I saved that money since it wasn't included at all, and I could option the HUD so win-win! :biggrin: 

It will be interesting to see if that changes when/if I ever get an EV, as EVs are *extremely* dependent on satnav for finding charging points and planning charge stops en-route.

It never ceases to amaze me why sat navigation is so buggy. Paying a premium for something that can often let you down when you most need it.

Personally speaking I think HUD is a better option as it does not take your eyes off the road. Interesting comments about your yaris mk4. What made you choose this and did you consider other models.

My shortlist was between the new Jazz and the Yaris, as I decided if I was going to burn so much money on a new car and break all my rules about buying new cars (i.e. don't) it absolutely had to be more efficient on fuel than my old Mk1 Yaris D4D, and it turns out these two are the only cars currently in existence that meet that requirement! (Which is a pretty bad state of affairs considering the Mk1 is over 15 years old now! :laugh: )

The Jazz has a lot of plus points - It's also very efficient, the visibility is much better than the Yaris, the seats are more comfortable, and the interior is more Yarisy in that it has loads of places to safely store stuff and has the excellent flexible rear seating like the Mk1 and Mk2 has, both of which I do miss in the Mk4 Yaris, which doesn't really have anywhere to safely store stuff aside from the glove box and a tiny arm-rest box, and I think it has the worse rear leg room of all models of Yaris. (Not sure about the Mk3 as it's the only one I've not owned and it's been ages since I've been in one...).

However, I had set a hard limit on the size of the car and the Yaris just scrapes in under my 4m limit (I'd prefer something around 3.7 like the Mk1, Mk2 and Aygo but c'est la vie!), while the Jazz is just over, which counted against it. Also, I am too used to the big floating digital dash in the Mk1 and Mk2 Yaris, and find it annoying to take my eyes off the road to squint down behind a steering wheel at a dash, so I really wanted the optional HUD - If I was choosing now, the choice would be a lot closer, since the Mk4 has lost the HUD as an option :sad: 

While the Mk4 is less practical, it is much more fun to drive than the Jazz - I think the Jazz platform hasn't changed much, but you can really feel the improvements in the new TNGA-B platform the Yaris is built on compared to the older models - The car's handling has been vastly improved and is much more confidence inspiring when chucking it down fast twisty roads! It's no GR, but I can pretend it's one :laugh: 

I also trust Toyota's engineering more than Honda, but TBH the ultimate decider was when my dealer smegged up my Mk2, and I was able to use that to get a lot of money off the Mk4 (I basically got a fully loaded Excel for the price of an Icon so not a bad deal I thought!)

It also looks a lot cooler :laugh: 

I do wish we got the Japanese Yaris Mk4 over here, as it is slightly narrower and also had options for things like 360 degree camera, self parking, heated seats and steering wheel, wireless charging and AWD, most of which can't be had on the Euro-spec cars!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bper said:

if offered a choice between Satellite navigation and Head-up Display which would you choose.

HUD, any day, any time, no brainer. End of discussion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

HUD, any day, any time, no brainer. End of discussion.

Well that's positive 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cyker said:

My shortlist was between the new Jazz and the Yaris, as I decided if I was going to burn so much money on a new car and break all my rules about buying new cars (i.e. don't) it absolutely had to be more efficient on fuel than my old Mk1 Yaris D4D, and it turns out these two are the only cars currently in existence that meet that requirement! (Which is a pretty bad state of affairs considering the Mk1 is over 15 years old now! :laugh: )

The Jazz has a lot of plus points - It's also very efficient, the visibility is much better than the Yaris, the seats are more comfortable, and the interior is more Yarisy in that it has loads of places to safely store stuff and has the excellent flexible rear seating like the Mk1 and Mk2 has, both of which I do miss in the Mk4 Yaris, which doesn't really have anywhere to safely store stuff aside from the glove box and a tiny arm-rest box, and I think it has the worse rear leg room of all models of Yaris. (Not sure about the Mk3 as it's the only one I've not owned and it's been ages since I've been in one...).

However, I had set a hard limit on the size of the car and the Yaris just scrapes in under my 4m limit (I'd prefer something around 3.7 like the Mk1, Mk2 and Aygo but c'est la vie!), while the Jazz is just over, which counted against it. Also, I am too used to the big floating digital dash in the Mk1 and Mk2 Yaris, and find it annoying to take my eyes off the road to squint down behind a steering wheel at a dash, so I really wanted the optional HUD - If I was choosing now, the choice would be a lot closer, since the Mk4 has lost the HUD as an option :sad: 

While the Mk4 is less practical, it is much more fun to drive than the Jazz - I think the Jazz platform hasn't changed much, but you can really feel the improvements in the new TNGA-B platform the Yaris is built on compared to the older models - The car's handling has been vastly improved and is much more confidence inspiring when chucking it down fast twisty roads! It's no GR, but I can pretend it's one :laugh: 

I also trust Toyota's engineering more than Honda, but TBH the ultimate decider was when my dealer smegged up my Mk2, and I was able to use that to get a lot of money off the Mk4 (I basically got a fully loaded Excel for the price of an Icon so not a bad deal I thought!)

It also looks a lot cooler :laugh: 

I do wish we got the Japanese Yaris Mk4 over here, as it is slightly narrower and also had options for things like 360 degree camera, self parking, heated seats and steering wheel, wireless charging and AWD, most of which can't be had on the Euro-spec cars!

You mentioned the GR is it correct it has to be checked every 6000 miles and not 10,000 as other Yaris models.

IIRC it's 6k miles or 1 year, whichever is sooner, but there's also this weird every 6 months 'safety check' that's £50 unless you're 2 services a year because of the 6k miles thing, in which case it's rolled into the service.

Not sure what the safety check is actually checking tho', maybe the AWD system?

• Like 1

I had to pick up on this post took the wife and kids out for a drive today sat nav locked up  2 miles from destination no reason and had to ask for directions. Really **** with this .

Need to look at a more reliable standalone. 😠

It's just taking you on a surprise adventure! :laugh: 

Well before the days of sat nav ,an old, now long gone sadly, friend of mine got a few jobs as an coach driver on excursions.

His first was trips to the lost gardens of Heligan in Cornwall, followed by a spell in Greece driving  tourists to lost city of Tenea.

Tbh, he was not the most competent of drivers, and his navigation skills were non existent.

So he was soon sacked from both jobs, I asked him why he found it so difficult driving to such well known and signposted sites, his answer was "well, how could I find them, they are lost"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Markyswan said:

I had to pick up on this post took the wife and kids out for a drive today sat nav locked up  2 miles from destination no reason and had to ask for directions. Really **** with this .

Need to look at a more reliable standalone. 😠

Hi Mark, I think with all been there when you rely on sat navigation directions and it let's you down. Technology needs to get better to stop this from happening. It's best to carry a map but no good if doesn't cover the local roads for the area you are travelling to.

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

IIRC it's 6k miles or 1 year, whichever is sooner, but there's also this weird every 6 months 'safety check' that's £50 unless you're 2 services a year because of the 6k miles thing, in which case it's rolled into the service.

Not sure what the safety check is actually checking tho', maybe the AWD system?

It will be interesting to see the longer term reviews on this model but nice car.😃

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Well before the days of sat nav ,an old, now long gone sadly, friend of mine got a few jobs as an coach driver on excursions.

His first was trips to the lost gardens of Heligan in Cornwall, followed by a spell in Greece driving  tourists to lost city of Tenea.

Tbh, he was not the most competent of drivers, and his navigation skills were non existent.

So he was soon sacked from both jobs, I asked him why he found it so difficult driving to such well known and signposted sites, his answer was "well, how could I find them, they are lost"

I hate to admit it but my direction skills leave a lot to be desired. I admire people that can go to a place once and it sticks like glue in there brains. 

I think I need a sat nav chip in head sometimes.

• Like 1

I usually scout the route with google maps, checking junction numbers and road turn names, and maybe using street view so i know what the junction and turn look like!

Or I have passengers and let navigation be their problem :laugh: 

It doesn't help when I have a car full of people and all their different phone satnavs try to take us by different routes!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cyker said:

I usually scout the route with google maps, checking junction numbers and road turn names, and maybe using street view so i know what the junction and turn look like!

Or I have passengers and let navigation be their problem :laugh: 

It doesn't help when I have a car full of people and all their different phone satnavs try to take us by different routes!

Speaking to a few people about sat navigation, it appears that those of us who do not possess good directional skills are far from being on our own.

It is surprising just how many drivers confirm that without the use of sat navigation tools they would struggle to find their planned destination. Some carry an atlas but before travelling use Street View, Waze, Google maps etc., before they even leave home.
However, it does make me wonder what part of their brain is able to retain directions that many of us can't. 

• Like 1

A few years ago on a journey to Oxfordshire, an otherwise very dizzy gf proved excellent at navigation with the road atlas, giving very clear directions in good time, working around road closures.

Completely head the ball in other aspects however.

So there must have been the nav part of her brain working well.

In one of the villages we had to ask directions in ,we stopped and asked a local with straw in his hair, and 3 X's on his smock,if he knew the way back to the bypass only a couple of miles away.

He did not, and the gf said rather rudely I thought, "you're not very bright are you?"

He thought for a moment, and said "that is very true, but then again, I ain't lost either am I"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Daftest thing about the Ravs satnav is that when searching for a road it doesn't put the one in the town you are actually in at the top of the list.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Daftest thing about the Ravs satnav is that when searching for a road it doesn't put the one in the town you are actually in at the top of the list.

You couldn't make it up could you.

Yorkshire Constabulary have had all of their sat navs stolen. A spokesman said that they are searching for Leeds.😂

• Haha 4

For me finding my way from one town to another comes easy enough, with road direction signs and road numbers.

Where the old Tom Tom comes into its own is when I get there, and have no clue how to find an address in a place that I don't know well.

The old way used to be ask a postman or a taxi driver in the town, but they seem to just shy away, and roll the window up now.

This may have something to do with my appearance though, I really regret now getting all those neck and forehead tattoos with swear words in them.

Well that, and my tartan jeans held together with safety pins and barbed wire.

• Haha 2

I must admit we don't give this country enough credit for road signage. It's been slipping a bit, esp. with regard to foliage obscuring them or not replacing ones blown away, but overall it's pretty darn good compared to some other countries *cough*spain*cough*.

It's good fun when looking for somewhere in a county with the same name for two different places.

It's an absolute guarantee that you will find the wrong one first.

Can't remember the place names in Derbyshire, I think that they were only about 20 miles apart, but the group of us traveling on several bikes were scattered across the landscape in complete disarray until about 10 at night.

We were to meet up at 2pm.🤯

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links