Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MOT Failure

Matt-norge

Hi guys

I have a 2012 Prius plus and for the first time in 10 years it failed it’s MOT

One of the problems is with the parking brake. Over the years the cables going into the brakes has become corroded and doesn’t operate properly. Do the left and right cables join up further down the car to a central cable or is it a different set up? If anyone knows part numbers for the cables that would be a big help.

The second problem I have is corrosion on a brake line. The rear right, after the flexi hose it joins to a long metal brake line and it’s the inch or so of uncovered line after the hose that has become rusty. Anyone had any experience changing this? Again part numbers for a new line if anyone knows it.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated 

Regards

UPDATE 

I’ve found where the parking brake cables join the single cable, right underneath the hybrid Battery

Has anyone removed the Battery before or know how to remove the lower cooling duct to give me the access I require?

Toyota Norway have quoted me kr-2700 (£250) for the cables and want kr-6000 (£550) to fit them hence why I’m trying this myself.

BE2851F5-3E69-4EE8-B2AA-107A84666EA2.jpeg

1B88D97E-7FB0-4E7A-9847-316BF3CB819A.jpeg

6B1B1782-FBDA-4CCD-8DA4-A65D91FC149A.jpeg

• Like 2

That’s interesting here. The cables usually are well protected and should last the life of the car. Where the rust exactly is in them? Can you just replace the rusty parts instead of the whole cables lot? These shown on pictures looks alright as they are inside the car. You can check here for part numbers and how they look on the diagram, if these can be of any help. https://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/toyota&mdf_id=12196&area=EU&cat=225510&blk_id=4601
I had many of these Priuses previously as fleet company cars but I was only driving them and never worked on them except a cleaning sometimes. 

Good luck 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If when brake is applied bracket is at right angles that what you after I remove brake from wheel and just check that you can push pull the cable if its moving easly on both wheels then look at pivot points and check out the rivit on the drum handbrake brake.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

That’s interesting here. The cables usually are well protected and should last the life of the car. Where the rust exactly is in them? Can you just replace the rusty parts instead of the whole cables lot? These shown on pictures looks alright as they are inside the car. You can check here for part numbers and how they look on the diagram, if these can be of any help. https://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/toyota&mdf_id=12196&area=EU&cat=225510&blk_id=4601
I had many of these Priuses previously as fleet company cars but I was only driving them and never worked on them except a cleaning sometimes. 

Good luck 👍

The corrosion is at the rear brakes where the spring comes through to the brakes. As far as I can see from your link the whole cable from rear brake to under the Battery is one long piece, part numbers 46420 & 46430.

It’s difficult to keep a car properly clean during the winter here in Norway  as everything freezes as soon as you exit the car wash

3928994E-43A5-4BD1-98AD-EFDC7D2F39E6.png

7 hours ago, Derek.w said:

If when brake is applied bracket is at right angles that what you after I remove brake from wheel and just check that you can push pull the cable if its moving easly on both wheels then look at pivot points and check out the rivit on the drum handbrake brake.

I managed to get the cable moving a bit but not enough for it to work the way it should. I’ve replaced the shoes in side the drum so the swinging arm moves freely of its own accord but the corrosion around the cable is too much for it to work properly.

2 hours ago, Matt-norge said:

I managed to get the cable moving a bit but not enough for it to work the way it should. I’ve replaced the shoes in side the drum so the swinging arm moves freely of its own accord but the corrosion around the cable is too much for it to work properly.

Can you try to save it with soaking in something like wd-40, they have liquid too. Leave it for two days then wire brush the springs. 
If you are removing the hybrid Battery you will need to disconnect the 12v Battery first, then remove the orange safety plug on the front of the Battery, then undo all bolts that connect the battery to the car floor, disconnect all cables and lift up. These are a bit heavy , Priuses and auris are 40kg, your one perhaps it’s lighter a bit but still you may want someone to help you. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Can you try to save it with soaking in something like wd-40, they have liquid too. Leave it for two days then wire brush the springs. 
If you are removing the hybrid battery you will need to disconnect the 12v battery first, then remove the orange safety plug on the front of the battery, then undo all bolts that connect the battery to the car floor, disconnect all cables and lift up. These are a bit heavy , Priuses and auris are 40kg, your one perhaps it’s lighter a bit but still you may want someone to help you. 

I did try with WD40 to start with and got the cable sliding a bit but the plastic sleeve over the wire has started to peel away as well. I have 2 new cables on order from Toyota.

I only need to lift the Battery an inch or two so I can get my hands on the cable. I’m beginning to understand why Toyota wanted so much to do this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt-norge said:

I did try with WD40 to start with and got the cable sliding a bit but the plastic sleeve over the wire has started to peel away as well. I have 2 new cables on order from Toyota.

I only need to lift the battery an inch or two so I can get my hands on the cable. I’m beginning to understand why Toyota wanted so much to do this.

You will be alright to change the cables and this is perhaps the best option. You can look for videos on YouTube to get yourself familiar and follow safety precautions and procedures and won’t have any issues. After you finish the new cables check Battery cooler fan filter, replace or clean it so you know it’s all job done there. 👍

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

You will be alright to change the cables and this is perhaps the best option. You can look for videos on YouTube to get yourself familiar and follow safety precautions and procedures and won’t have any issues. After you finish the new cables check battery cooler fan filter, replace or clean it so you know it’s all job done there. 👍

Thanks Tony

How is it for buying pattern parts for the Prius Plus in the UK? Over here in Norway I can find parts for pretty much every Toyota apart from this one, I have to get everything from Toyota and it’s not cheap. I had to replace the spring clips that hold the parking brake shoes in place and this cost me kr-502 (£45)!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matt-norge said:

Thanks Tony

How is it for buying pattern parts for the Prius Plus in the UK? Over here in Norway I can find parts for pretty much every Toyota apart from this one, I have to get everything from Toyota and it’s not cheap. I had to replace the spring clips that hold the parking brake shoes in place and this cost me kr-502 (£45)!

Good job. I don’t know about parts for Prius plus, in uk they are popular but perhaps the parts will be similar to Norway, main dealer mostly. Tbh for Toyota very few make good quality aftermarket and I will highly recommend to you to stick with genuine Toyota parts from dealers. Blueprint are good quality aftermarket for filters, some suspension parts, also First line and Febi. Most others not really especially cheap “Japanese “ which are nasty Chinese or Asian poor quality parts. 

After reassenbly apply some grease to the inner brake cables ends do both ends.

Next year when you tip out the brake dust clean and regrease cables and dont forget a drop of oil on the pivot link.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links