Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anything ever gone wrong?

WALLOP

If the 'Flat 12v battery' were resolved by Toyota in a way that does not require 'special' attention beyond that of normal car ownership things could only get better.

Please note I do NOT suffer this issue but many do so if the problem were resolved, satisfaction would rise and problem posts would fall and we would all live happily ever after !

The flat Battery we know is due to lack of use and smaller in size. If it's viable to fit a larger Battery that would help. I don't have the Battery issue either, make sure the car doesn't go longer than 3-4 days without driving in the winter. 

• Like 2

I understand the issue however "make sure the car doesn't go longer than 3-4 days without driving in the winter." Is special attention ... of course it works but is a sticking plaster for a patent problem. However many people seem to accept the issue as do I but that does not mean it's not an issue !

• Like 2

Yeah it's weird that they still haven't thought up a fix as it's been a known issue since at least the original Auris came out!

Even just a bodge like Hyundai have, where if the 12v drops to a certain level it gets cut off and the driver has to hold a button to re-engage it and has a minute to start the car before it cuts off again.

• Like 1

I am sure Toyota are more than capable of sorting out the issue but choose not to for whatever reason or maybe they just don't care.

Everything I have read here seems to suggest the issue is generally accepted and we should submit to molly coddle our 12v Battery health which of course we do and are repaid with a great vehicle experience.

However a great experience without the molly coddle would be a better experience

• Like 1

Yeah, it's odd that they haven't as usually they are quick to rectify common issues like this, or at least come up with solutions in their next model.

Maybe they don't think it's a common or real problem and that it's just driver error??

It does seem primarily a problem with non-use as I've left mine for 2 weeks and not had any problems starting it again, and also once left it with the lights on all day, but normally it's being used constantly so the Battery should be in tip top condition!

2 hours ago, Hibird said:

I understand the issue however "make sure the car doesn't go longer than 3-4 days without driving in the winter." Is special attention ... of course it works but is a sticking plaster for a patent problem. However many people seem to accept the issue as do I but that does not mean it's not an issue !

I only use mine once a week in winter and it's been fine. I am driving it more than just round the corner though - 20 to 40 miles every weekend. The rest of the time it's sat, unlocked, in my garage.

Since the 12v isn't having to operate the starter motor I don't think it needs much of a drive to recharge. A ten minute journey is probably ample.

The 12v Battery problem are not exclusive to Toyota, probably all other makes of cars were affected due to COVID lack of use. Yes it's smaller, but it doesn't depletes too much since it's not require to turn the car. So perhaps Toyota could make it bigger and smart, to cut off once it gets to a certain level, as mentioned. 

Before covid this problem did not surface. 

• Like 1

I agree completly with all the comments on the 12 volt Battery issues. Although I look after the 12 volt Battery you never really know the health of it. Toyota could at least show a warning when this Battery is starting to loose too much charge and before it causes start up problems.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bigblock said:

Toyota could at least show a warning when this battery is starting to loose too much charge and before it causes start up problems.

Yes. My car seems fine but for all I know I'm only just getting away with it. Would be nice to have a warning so that remedial action could be taken.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Yes. My car seems fine but for all I know I'm only just getting away with it. Would be nice to have a warning so that remedial action could be taken.

I agree. A simple voltage reading on the dash would be most useful so you know if you are (just getting away with it). Nicely put Andrue.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2022 at 9:48 PM, Jimota said:

I can’t complain about Audi/VW/Skoda as every vehicle that I owned over 30 years never let me down.  I just got bored with them in the end and started to look at at other brands.  Did my homework and Toyota ticked all the boxes for my current needs.

You had an Audi and never complained? Dude I have an Audi which is at almost 400 000 km, but the damn thing barelly has anything original left in the car. Not to mention how expensive it is to maintain it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I only keep my cars 2-3 years and have them regularly serviced by authorised service dealerships.  Servicing costs are pretty high but as I said I’ve had no problems with any of my cars.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ianderson said:

You had an Audi and never complained? Dude I have an Audi which is at almost 400 000 km, but the damn thing barelly has anything original left in the car. Not to mention how expensive it is to maintain it.

Absolutely. Any car can go a million mile journey, the question is how many things you need to change and how often through its life and at what cost?Here an Auris hybrid from 2010 owner, 229000 miles on almost everything original including both batteries. I just hope to continue rolling, I love it and I won’t change it for anything else until totally dies and becomes uneconomical to repair. And btw everything works like new and efficiency is at its best ever., currently at 55mpg , summer often 60-62mpg. Not bad even compared to the latest hybrids. 👌

• Like 9

On 11/20/2022 at 5:19 PM, bigblock said:

I agree. A simple voltage reading on the dash would be most useful so you know if you are (just getting away with it). Nicely put Andrue.

Hmm, it would be amusing to mount one of those old voltage displays from a vintage car next to the new digital dash display...

• Like 2

Toyota built in a low Battery warning in the center display but its only on for a few seconds and can be plocked out by the angle of the steering wheel this type of warning should if triggerd be canceld by the driver then you know about if for for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Hmm, it would be amusing to mount one of those old voltage displays from a vintage car next to the new digital dash display...

An ammeter, I think they were called Cyker.

IIRC 🙂 they measured the difference between when the dynamo (in those days not alternator) was charging the Battery with the needle on the positive side of the gauge , and a minute movement on the negative side when the electrical load exceeded the output of the dynamo.ie the Battery was losing charge, such as when idling with the headlights on.

The geek adapter I have now if I have the right name for it, ie plugs into the cigar lighter, and outputs two power points and two USB points , and has a digital voltage display which if I understand it properly,as long as it's above 12.4 volts with engine running, means it's charging.

It's usually around 13.5 volts while driving around.

• Like 2

To be honest I missed it on myself on more than one instance of low Battery you dont always look at that display when starting car.

It a shame the center display showing High Voltage charge and direction of current flow also misses out on the 12 volt Battery display.

I use a BV Battery monitor its wired across the battery posts advantage its uses a app on your smart phone so no need to be in car for a reading.

i don`t worry about it , just get in and drive sometimes 300mlies round trip sometimes 2 or 3 miles ,touch wood it hasn`t let me down , i don`t worry about Battery levels or anything else after all it`s a machine just like a washing machine ,lawn mower etc. it can sometime go  wrong . live with it.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2022 at 11:17 AM, Mojo1010 said:

The flat battery we know is due to lack of use and smaller in size. If it's viable to fit a larger battery that would help. I don't have the battery issue either, make sure the car doesn't go longer than 3-4 days without driving in the winter. 

Had to change the Battery in the key fob. That was flat too.

Worth carrying a power bank in the car, easy start if the 12v batt failed far from home. I don't regard the Battery as a problem to worry about though, just common sense and maintenance. I'd like to see a temperature gauge as I understand that if water pump failed or coolant got lost, the engine temp warning light comes on too late to save the engine from damage. I wired one into my old Vauxhall for the same reason. Dealer told me about a zafira that had the engine oil on fire before the owner was aware of anything wrong! Toyota engine is all alloy so sensitive to any overheating 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links