Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic dip/main beam

Max_Headroom

I have never had it fitted to a car before this one, tonight i had to drive on some twisty and busy A and B roads and think it should be fitted to all cars as standard its brilliant.

• Like 3

Haven't had a car which has this feature yet, though I'm getting the MK4 next year which has it. 

• Like 1

I don't find it works well at all, and I'm frequently flashing oncoming drivers who seem to have equally bad systems.

It's like the sign recognition system; Works in a reasonable time about 70% of the time.

Even when it does work, I'm usually *much* faster, as I can see the lights of cars coming round a corner before they have come round the corner and already have my beams dipped before they come into view, but the system only does it after a few fractions of a second of the other car appearing.

I'm currently leaning more towards the camp that want to ban these things, as I'm sure getting beamed in the face by all these auto dip systems reacting too slowly is not doing my eyes any good... :wacko:

• Like 1

I'm finding our Yaris quicker than the Rav at reacting but neither are as fast as me.

I don't find it works well at all, and I'm frequently flashing oncoming drivers who seem to have equally bad systems.

How do you know the cars coming towards you have the system they may just be lazy or ignorant drivers or ones with badly set headlights

If your system is working as bad as you describe i think  you need to have your car looked at as something is obviously wrong with it,  i haven't experienced any lag in the system dipping but sometimes think it's a little slow in turning main beam back on but we are only talking half a second so nothing dangerous.

• Like 1

Well that's the question; I don't know for sure obviously, but the incidents of it have increased noticeably and they are all on newer cars so that's the obvious assumption.

And I don't think there is anything wrong with it, it's working as designed, just like the road sign recognition system that sometimes thinks the speed limit is 120mph. It's just not infallible and fails on certain edge cases.

Use the system some more - I'm sure you will eventually notice it sometimes is slow to dip, and either blinds someone you're closing in on, or an oncoming vehicle for a couple of seconds, esp. when they are at a distance.

As I said, it works acceptably about 70% of the time, but I'm not discourteous enough to other drivers to accept blinding them the other 30% of the time, even if that is not returned to me, so unless the system is improved considerably I'm not going to use it.

• Like 1

Aye Cyker, one blinded driver is bad enough, but two blinded drivers at a closing speed of maybe 120mph is not going to end well.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

How do you know the cars coming towards you have the system they may just be lazy or ignorant drivers or ones with badly set headlights

You don't know for sure. But it is fairly obvious when the cars have adaptive headlights (not just auto-dip) as these very clearly cut a 'corridor' in the beam for oncoming or cars in front.

• Like 1

I have it on my C-HR & it works most of the time.

Sometimes it doesn't respond quick enough to dip the lights for oncoming vehicles so I manually dip the lights instead which kinda of defeats the point of fitting the system in the first place.

That's what I find, it doesn't dip fast enough so I'm always ready to take over so what's the point?

• Like 1

Haven’t tried it on this car yet probably never will, had auto dip on my two previous cars. I drive down a particular duel carriageway every day which has an over grown central reservation, barriers ect. The car intermittently sees oncoming traffic and flashes the lights like a demented idiot !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mine works perfectly 99.9% of the time. But the automatic transmission and automatic dip has made a lazy driver out of me.

• Like 3

yeah, but when it's all automated it's more relaxing for me to drive to work and back home. I like driving very much but there are situations (everyday commuting) where it's nice to have auto hold when you are stuck in traffic on a hilly road, when you don't need to mix the dough with the stick, when your system watch car speed in front of you and match them, when your windshield is automatically defrosted, when the temperature inside the cabin is always the same, etc etc.

But as AHS, they will never work 100%, but they make our lives easier, and when they don't work as you expect, you can disable them every you want.

18 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Mine works perfectly 99.9% of the time. But the automatic transmission and automatic dip has made a lazy driver out of me.

Thanks Bernard 99.9 will do for me, it would seem some members systems maybe faulty 😉

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links