Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Leagally Fast Can I Make My 90-99 Mr2

cinimod

I am thinking about buying a used MR2. First i was wondering what year between 90 and 99 would be the best to buy? Second, how fast can i leagally make it. Im not looking to do an engine swap. Just what can i do to it and how much added HP would it add keeping it streat legal. I live in the US so im sure that would make things difficult.

hi cinimod, im not sure of the laws in the states, but i would assume that unless you are speeding around over the limit,then i dont think the police would consider you illegal?

if you were speeding even in a standard car then that would be illegal.

as long as you keep your exhaust noise down i cant see any probs. i know that sometimes nitrous is frowned upon.

a lot of people are running mr2 turbos with 300bhp quite happily, and legally. a performance exhaust, de-cat, filter, and uprated turbo (and/or boost levels) will get you close to this figure. a nice aftermarket ecu would be a good place to spend some dollars. :thumbsup:

a revision 3 turbo would be the best place to start - around 1994-96 model, circa £4000-6000 pounds. if you can afford a late model revision 5 - circa 1999 then that would be the daddy. the final model with all previous model ailments fixed. cost around £10,000 pounds though!

hope this helps.

Stateside would mean pretty tough on the emissions depending on your state. I think noise restrictions are in place as well.

Saying that, quite a few peeps over there bend the rules, judging by the number of modified cars in the forums. ;)

hi cinimod, im not sure of the laws in the states, but i would assume that unless you are speeding around over the limit,then i dont think the police would consider you illegal?

if you were speeding even in a standard car then that would be illegal.

as long as you keep your exhaust noise down i cant see any probs. i know that sometimes nitrous is frowned upon.

a lot of people are running mr2 turbos with 300bhp quite happily, and legally. a performance exhaust, de-cat, filter, and uprated turbo (and/or boost levels) will get you close to this figure. a nice aftermarket ecu would be a good place to spend some dollars. :thumbsup:

a revision 3 turbo would be the best place to start - around 1994-96 model, circa £4000-6000 pounds. if you can afford a late model revision 5 - circa 1999 then that would be the daddy. the final model with all previous model ailments fixed. cost around £10,000 pounds though!

hope this helps.

What may i ask is the differnce between the 99 and the 96 model mr2? the turbo? does it have more HP?

Thanks for the help. Im looking at a buget of about 7 to 10 thousand american to purchase. Then ill see what i can do after that as i save money to do some aftermarket changes to it. So what would be a guess on how much effort and money would it take to get an MR2 to 300HP?

The diffs in 95->99 are minimal .. the US never got them because of emissions ..

Get a Rev4 (dates in the sticky threads at the top) and then boost the hell out of it .. (the Rev4 had thicker cylinder walls to the rev3's apparently)

uk prices for mods.

mongoose exhaust £350

de-cat pipe £150

apexi air filter £100

manual boost controller / fuel cut defender / de-limiter £ 150ish

or

unichip (to give u all of the above - and re-mappable) £550 fitted and mapped.

these are average 'new' prices and a common route for reaching 300bhp - which u would just about do - 296bhp ish on a rev3 onwards.

so for £1000 uk u would do it mate.

can always find these bits on eBay too :thumbsup:

my rev4 is standard except i think its a k&n filter (previeus owner) what can i do to get it to the 200 mark? its the rev4 so i think its kicking out about 164??

ps. i like have a twin exhust ? werid i know... :help: ..i think it must be some kind of fetish :!Removed!:

ps. i like have a twin exhust ? werid i know... :help: ..i think it must be some kind of fetish :!Removed!:

quite the opposite fella.

twin zorst is standard :thumbsup:

i know the zorst is stock, my mate has a turbo 2 on camp but has a huge exhust on it that came with it when it was imported, i love my twin exhust...could be a little bigger tho

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links