Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vibrating headlights Toyota Aygo

Shazza2504

Hello I’m hoping someone can help please?  I noticed last night, when I parked on my drive, that there was a buzzing noise coming from the front of my car and the headlight beam was shaking.  When I turned the lights off the shaking and buzzing noise stopped.  So I started the car and put the lights on again and the buzzing noise and shaking light beam started again.  When you look at the lights, you can see the inside around the bulb vibrating.  Could you please advise what is causing this and how do I fix it? Thank you 

Hi there.

Does your Aygo have headlamp leveling?

From your description it sounds as though the headlights are trying to level themselves and are jammed or the mechanism that controls the leveling is trying to drive the units further then they should or it has failed.

If you have headlight levelling you should find a small wheel type switch on the dash, think it will be the switch nearest the drivers door, check the wheel is set on 1 if your in the vehicle by yourself. The higher number setting are for when the car is being used with more passengers and/or a fully loaded boot.

• Like 5

Hello thank you, I have got the wheel type control .  So it should be on 1? 

Thank you very much Derek .  I changed the dial to 1 and checked the Battery connections and the noise and vibrating has stopped ☺️

• Like 3

Your welcome Shazza.

Glad it turned out to be something that simple and what you needed to have happy headlights.

• Thanks 1

If you have just moved it to the position where it is stuck you have not solved the problem.

The headlights should move up and down as the position wheel is turned.

From the manual these are the settings

Screenshot 2022-11-29 081316.png

• Like 2

Hello it’s all okay , thank you.  The headlights do move up and down when I change the dial.  

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 11/26/2022 at 10:02 AM, DerekHa said:

Hi there.

Does your Aygo have headlamp leveling?

From your description it sounds as though the headlights are trying to level themselves and are jammed or the mechanism that controls the leveling is trying to drive the units further then they should or it has failed.

If you have headlight levelling you should find a small wheel type switch on the dash, think it will be the switch nearest the drivers door, check the wheel is set on 1 if your in the vehicle by yourself. The higher number setting are for when the car is being used with more passengers and/or a fully loaded boot.

I have had mine set to 0 as per the manual with driver only. Now with a full spare tyre in the boot plus some other items in the boot such as foot pump what level should I set the lights at? 

The Aygo does not have an automatic levelling system, it is set manually correct from the rotary dial? EDIT* This is for the second-gen Aygo. Not Aygo X.

I don't think the having a full spare and a few odds and ends in boot too would make any difference to the level of the headlights, there won't be enough weight at the back to affect the headlight level. Follow the manual and have the dial set at zero like it says for just the driver. You only need to think about setting it higher if you have a fully ladden car, (rear passengers and a boot full of luggage, not that you'll get much luggage in the Aygo boot of course.

Are you saying your headlights are vibrating like the original poster on this one?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DerekHa said:

I don't think the having a full spare and a few odds and ends in boot too would make any difference to the level of the headlights, there won't be enough weight at the back to affect the headlight level. Follow the manual and have the dial set at zero like it says for just the driver. You only need to think about setting it higher if you have a fully ladden car, (rear passengers and a boot full of luggage, not that you'll get much luggage in the Aygo boot of course.

Are you saying your headlights are vibrating like the original poster on this one?

Nope no vibration. I was concerned at just my headlight level. If you look at the car, side and rear profile you can clearly see it has dipped a lot to the rear. Remember the Aygo does not come with a full spare, it comes with that sticky glue/paste. I did the spare myself with the help of my local Toyota dealership. I bought a new rim from them and they put a tyre on it for me. 

Remember I am talking about the second-gen Aygo. Not the Aygo X. 

3 hours ago, WazWii said:

Nope no vibration. I was concerned at just my headlight level. If you look at the car, side and rear profile you can clearly see it has dipped a lot to the rear. Remember the Aygo does not come with a full spare, it comes with that sticky glue/paste. I did the spare myself with the help of my local Toyota dealership. I bought a new rim from them and they put a tyre on it for me. 

Remember I am talking about the second-gen Aygo. Not the Aygo X. 

Ok got you WazWii,

Still inclined to think the additional weight of a spare wheel is not going to affect the height/level of your headlights, Bear in mind that your 2nd Gen car has a lower roof line than the Mk1's so may look lower at the rear end. You'll know soon enough if the level is set to high as you'll be getting flashed at night by oncoming traffic. Would still advise following your user manual or ask your dealership for advice.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DerekHa said:

Ok got you WazWii,

Still inclined to think the additional weight of a spare wheel is not going to affect the height/level of your headlights, Bear in mind that your 2nd Gen car has a lower roof line than the Mk1's so may look lower at the rear end. You'll know soon enough if the level is set to high as you'll be getting flashed at night by oncoming traffic. Would still advise following your user manual or ask your dealership for advice.

Yup will ask the dealership just to double-make sure. I agree with you though -  the spare tyre should not make too much difference. I think level 1 on the dial will be the max I need to turn it up to if needed. Regarding the profile, I compared with and without the spare tyre. It for sure makes a difference, the car sits lower on the back by a visible margin. It looks better to be honest because I always felt the second-gen Aygo had a bit of an elongated high end. Driving too I feel the difference. I feel the car sitting lower towards the rear and it feels a lot more planted at the rear. I prefer it like that - car feels more stable in the corners.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links