Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Tank

RIC.CRANE

I am new to the site and have just bought a R reg Pevia . I am thinking about a LPG converstion.

What experiance have people had also where did you put the fuel tank

also any one recomend any places in Essex that carry out LPG conversions

Now you've gorn and asked, ain'tcha?

I bought my '91 Previa GL two weeks ago, because it had LPG already fitted...

'Er indoors wanted a "bus" and I was keen to give "alternative fuels" a try, so until "Back to the Future" becomes reality, an LPG Previa fitted the bill 100%...

Since then, I've been on an almost vertical learning curve with respect to information on LPG systems, how they are fitted to the Previa and what I would have doen differently had I had the system fitted... :eek:

I could write you a book on this... :bookworm: but you've asked a couple of specific questions, so I'll answer those first...

Q: Where do you put the fuel tank?

A: The best place is where the spare wheel fits. The next question is. "Where does the Spare wheel go?" Most LPG installers will point you towards using a vinyl bag and putting the wheel in the "boot space"... doesn't matter if it's a 205/70 14 or a 215/65 15 wheel... still takes up more than half of your bootspace and rolls around like a :censor: ! Additionally, some installers shy away from exterior fitted tanks as they're prone to corrosion and that's never a good thing on gas systems... :crybaby: Ours has a 110 litre (not the biggest by far) cylinder across the bootspace... it's totally in the way and I'm going to fit a shelf across it to enable us to use the space above it...

Q: An Installer in Essex? Don't go to your nearest installer. Find one that you are prepared to travel to and go by recommendation... Our LPG system is ECOGAS certified (search for ECOGAS in google and you'll find them) and was installed in Birmingham... As the vehicle is family transport (aren't they all?) I was keen to be 100% sure that the system was safe... I'll be ripping some parts out tomorrow and sorting out some of the less impressive "installation techniques". the I'll need to get the system re-certified as the original installation had a 53 litre tank, so the cert and system don't "match" any more... this is an important insurance requirement...

As you can see... I could go on here all night... If you want more detail, reply to this or drop me a line j_mitchell@lineone.net and I'll send you over some of the info I've gathered over the past couple of weeks... There's tons of it! :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

just for future interest based on living with previa with 120L tank in the boot, i would recomend 2 long sausage tanks in the boot, we did some testing when we were getting conversion done and it may actually be possible to fit three! this means that you can still fold away the seats and if you board over them you still have a huge boot space. the down side is the cost of three/two fitting kits, frames, tanks and valves. one big one is much cheaper. there is also room for a small sausage tank on the drivers side up under the sill roughly under the middle seat (opposite the fuel tank!) this means that if you can aford it you will still have a gas range of over 400miles. (LPG 29.9p a litre at MORRISONS!!!!)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links