Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice On Celica Purchase

JUD9R

Hi all,

I am looking at a 2002 Celica VVTi 1.8 tomorrow and was wondering if you could give me any advice on what I need to look out for?

Are there any things the dealer may try and hide from me etc? Or is there anything specific to this model that I need to be aware of?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

JUD

Hi matey and welcome to the club. :thumbsup: There are a few, general issues with the Gen 7 Celica which are warranty items. For example: lacquer lifting on the alloys. The 17" Sport Pack ones (6 spoke) are the most prone though but they all do it. Corrosion on the hub assembly on the rear wheels which is very obvious if you have this, and likely you will have so get 'em changed. Creaking to the sun roof assembly and shade (if fitted). Again this is a 'common' issue and is cured by some silicone to the seals. All of the above tend to affect practically all Gen 7's.

Other less common issues CAN include: both front window seals leaking (warranty), volume control knob on standard double DIN radio having a mind of its own (warranty) and rattles from tailgate (warranty).

Is it a Toyota dealer you're looking to buy the car from which, if so, will make it far easier to rectify any of the above.

Keep us posted on what you do but I'd say, if the price is ok, go for it 'cos they are great cars. I'm on my 2nd. Just make sure it's red 'cos they are faster :P

Habu

The tailgate boot hatch not staying up - warranty issue.

Water in where the spare wheel is under the boot carpet - I'd walk away if it had water in.

i just purchased a black 2002 gen 7. i had the front and back discs replaced under warranty, 4 wheel alignment n balance done because of vibration at 70 and a fen belt pre tensioner under warranty because i noticed it was intermitantly noisey at idle. I have the same problen with the volume on the sony unit, to the extent i almost blew my Speakers. Apart form those minor things that were taken care by the dealer, im over the moon with my new wheels. Just to give you an inducation of price, i paid13k for an 02 gen 7 140 with 38 k on the clock.

good luck

ps dont listen to the above, balck ones are faster and you get the option KITT voice from Knight Rider if you want :P

Hi all,

thanks very much for the advice, and good to now be part of the club! :) I went and bought the car today, it is absolutely immaculate and drives fantastic.

I bought a blue one which means no Kitt and slower than Red and Black ;)

Hehehe.

Thanks again for the advice and will speak to you soon.

JUD

Thanks JUD9R for the question and the other guys for their replies.

I am STILL looking around with a view to buying a s/hand Gen 7, so I find advice from owners very useful.

dmjuk, I notice you are in Glasgow. I am in Hamilton. Did you buy from a Toyota dealership? If so, which one, and would you recommend I pay them a visit?

Thanks.

Robbie i bought mine from Shields Toyota, i dont know if there is any difference between the glasgow one and the hamilton one. what i would say is that glasgow has been fantastic and more than willing to help sort out any minor problems ive had with the car. When they replaced the brake discs under warranty they also supplied a set of brand new green stuff pads foc and the last time i was in they gave it an allover inspection without me even requesting it.

good luck :thumbsup:

I bought gen 7 Celica from SDM Toyota in Falkirk, i have been dealing with them for 20 years and would never buy anywhere else so that tells u something. Their after service is brilliant and any problems are dealt with efficeintly. They also apparantly have the best sales record for Toyotas in the UK. They are only a short drive from Hamilton. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links