Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dash cam hard wired to fuse box

jbspurs66

Just thought I'd share this.
I have a front and rear dash cam fitted and hard wired for parking mode with a 12.2 volt cut off and its stayed on from approx 4pm to 7.30am daily and never cut off even during this cold snap..
I'm in the car for 8 hours a day mind, so if any of you that are in the car daily, ie: driving instructors, you may not  need to have another 12v Battery...
This is only my experience but thought it might help...

• Like 4

When I get the new Yaris, I will hardwired piggyback into the fusebox, only to a non live fuse as I don't drive everyday. No parking mode for me which I don't mind to preserve the 12v Battery

• Like 2

Depending on the make of Dashcam, there are a few things that can go wrong that cause this behaviour. The first is that the cam needs to be switched to parking mode in the setup (it's not normally the default) so that it will sleep until woken. Some cams need 2 power inputs, an always-on and ignition-on, and it's possible that it's been wired incorrectly

On my other non-Toyota car, the Kenwood cam had been wired correctly by the dealer's 'expert tech person' for parking mode (good) but of course hadn't been set up at all (bad) so I had to then put it into parking mode myself when it was obvious it was running continuously. However the cam soon became faulty and kept defaulting back to 'normal' so it was on all the time. When it was replaced, I also asked for it to be wired to ignition-only.....

• Like 1

It's a viofo a229 and it was wired by someone who does it for a living, it's motion detection (records 15 seconds before and 30 after I believe, so far it picks up anyone walking near or cars coming close, all good so far but as I mentioned in original post it has a 12.2 volt cut off which is yet to fire, so experience so far good but let's see what happens further down the line.. 

• Like 1

TBH, once you have planned and understand the cable route, wiring in a front Dashcam is pretty easy, esp. if you use anch's Removing An A-Piller Cover For Dummies video :laugh: 

The rear is a lot fiddlier as there are a few routes you can take and they all require removing a lot of trim or routing around weather stripping, or special tools to poke it down the headlining.

I do wish car manufacturers would expose the built-in cameras tho' - There are so many, and imagine having access to the 360 degree camera footage! They'd just need to add an option to e.g. dump the footage to a storage device in the USB socket or something...

I have the same problem with a Nextbase 522GW. Had it previously hard wired into a Fiat Panda and DS3 - no issues with parking mode. 

Yet, since January with my Avensis I’ve hardwired it the same way and when it’s a permanent live it records 24/7 (even with parking mode on) 

then when it’s on a ‘key on engine on’ only fuse, it comes on when the car switches on which is good. But every time the start/stop re-starts it trips the dash cam and it shuts down until manually turned on. 

I was going to give it one more shot into the rear demister fuse. Nobody at Toyota or Nextbase will advise me on which fuse I should use for my specific car too which is annoying

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links