Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo HIR2 headlight bulbs

iiNNeX

13 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Brighter upgrade bulbs do have a shorter life than the non-upgrade bulbs. You trade off having a bright bulb for a shorter life.

I use upgrade bulbs in both cars, as I prefer the brighter headlights.

There are alternative upgrade bulbs to Toyota's (which are made by Philips): e.g. Philips XtremeVision Pro 150 available on eBay, Amazon, etc.

On the Aygo headlight bulbs are easy to fit.

It seems Toyota do not offer the original bulb. I am going to double check-this with the local Toyota dealership. I got around 36,000 miles out of this one. That is good right? 6 years. I did make use of the high beam a lot however as you can probably guess it needs using in non-lit areas with the not-so-powerful dipped beam thus reducing the lifespan of the bulb. This might compensate against the replacement more powerful bulbs?

Initially I did not know the Aygo had one bulb to do both functions (both dipped and high beam). I thought they were seperate bulbs. So can the bulb still function (in this case the dipped beam) whilst the high beam has blown? Or does it all go at once?

Unless you have deep pockets stay away from the dealer, factory bulbs are either Philips or Osram (some are Toshiba)

a standard bulb's light will degrade over time

Toyota part No. 90981-13062

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 1:16 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Moved to the Aygo forum.

LED bulbs in headlights designed for halogen is currently an MOT fail.

Several makes of upgrade halogen bulbs - Osram Nightbreaker Laser +150% or +200%, Elta Vision Pro 150 (or their other brand Lucas Lightbooster +150), Philips Xtreme Vision Pro 150, etc.

Bear in mind the brighter the bulb, the shorter the lives, although Philips upgrade bulbs seem to have longer advertised life than others.

Available from Amazon, eBay, and other internet sellers.

Are there not concerns as to heat? If said bulb is more powerful will that not generate more heat and cause heat build-up inside the head unit affecting lifespan of not only bulb but wiring and relay switches or/and connections?

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Unless you have deep pockets stay away from the dealer, factory bulbs are either Philips or Osram (some are Toshiba)

a standard bulb's light will degrade over time

Toyota part No. 90981-13062

Thanks for that link. I presume that Toyota part number is what the dealership is offering; single replacement. So only charging £15 for fitting; so really I have to decide whether I want the standard bulb or the others that are more powerful. To be honest I am happy at how long the original lasted plus the colour hue (slightly yellow) so maybe that compensates for the extra brightness of the others.

Not unless bulbs of a higher wattage than required are used.

For example standard HIR2 bulbs are 55 watt. Philips Xtreme Vision Pro 150 bulbs are also 55 watt. Filament design, type of glass, and gases inside the bulb can all contribute towards providing a brighter light for the same power consumption.

Using bulbs of a higher wattage (e.g. 80 or 100 watt) aren't road legal, and these can lead to over heating in electrical wiring, bulb holders, headlight units, etc.

• Like 1