Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre plugs

Eddiefh

Hi all , woke up to a warning light on dash turns out got a nail in rear tyre , took to a local independent tyre place and they put some kind of plug repair rather than selling me a new tyre . I was in waiting area and was told right mr your cars ready that will be £15 . Was surprised ; normally or in past I’ve just been sold a new tyre or should I say leasing company been sold a new tyre . 

never heard of such a thing other than on push bike puncher repair kits  , got me thinking are they safe ? 

merry Christmas everyone 

• Like 3

Depends where on the tyre the puncture was as regards whether a repair is all that is required or a new tyre. In recent years we've had two tyres repaired - one on the Aygo (slow puncture) by our Toyota dealer and another on our i20 (repaired at a tyre fitting centre). Have had no problems with either repair.

Dealings with lease companies may be different - and the tyre fitting company would probably class punctures as not repairable to get a new tyre paid for by the lease company.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've had them, they are safe.  If they weren't safe reputable companies wouldn't use them.

For the most past, when they say to you that it can't be repaired, it's because they are trying to frighten you into buying a new tyre.

I know of a skip lorry that ran around with one in until the tyre was worn out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes I've had a couple over the years and they've lasted the life of the tyre ok 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's funny as to me that's the normal procedure for a puncture - Getting a new tyre is normally the shady dodgy garage route! :laugh: 

They are safe; I had a few of them in different parts of one tyre in my Mk1 and it was fine up til the tyre ran out of tread!

• Like 4

Thanks all never had/used one or heard off them on cars either been lucky or been done for a tyre in past 

• Like 3

I have had many tyres repaired over the years and none have cause me a problem.  A lot depends on where the puncture is and the mature of the puncture.  Punctures in the side wall usually mean they are unrepairable and therefore a new tyre is requited, I think this is due to the fact that the strength of the tyre is given by the side wall.

• Like 3

The nail was definitely what I’d call on top of the tread apposed to what I’d call in the tread where the wear markers are and it’s a rear tyre which makes me feel safer 

• Like 1

Like you when I encountered this years ago was surprised but we had this happen and plug repair on our motorcaravan, so no light weight, and that lasted years until we needed new tyres. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As others have said, it's safe. I had this plug done on a few of my cars from a local tyre guy, £10, that was a few years ago. A couple years ago I decided buy this repair kit, keep it in the boot and one day try it myself, did not look too difficult to do after watching tyre guy done it.

Have done 2 repairs myself now. One plugged two years ago and one just a few days ago with a screw, the tyre didn't lose pressure with the screw in, since I got the kit repaired it. 

Plug kit - got this one. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

That's funny as to me that's the normal procedure for a puncture - Getting a new tyre is normally the shady dodgy garage route! :laugh: 

They are safe; I had a few of them in different parts of one tyre in my Mk1 and it was fine up til the tyre ran out of tread!

Sorry to reiterate, but dishonesty gets my goat 🐐, and sometimes my sheep 🐑.

Years ago,a national tyre and exhaust business removed the tyre from my old (new then) AX, and reamed out the puncture with a rat tail file.

Thus rendering the tyre irreparable , and wanted very badly to sell me a new tyre on "special offer".

I assume that the money grubbing tyre fitter and national company ,may have been on for making an extra £25 at that time between them, but lost a customer for life.

Went elsewhere at any cost on principal, luckily an honest business .

Dodgy garages? 

National  businesses too.

• Sad 2

One of the local tyre place had done me in the past; tyre only done a few hundreds miles from new, had a screw or nail in, told me it can't be repaired. I was green back then and had no clue.  Now I know it can be repaired where the puncture were. This dishonesty got my 🐀

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Derek.w said:

I wont let them fit a repair plug unless its a mushroom type.

Once saw one of my old tyres that had had thus type, a large rubber plug perhaps 2-3 inches diameter. 

I admit to not bothering with a repair if the tread is approaching 3 mm and will go for 2 new tyres. 

If I have time I will get the tyres online though my local fitters, Rhymes might know Bush Tyres, will often price match. 

• Like 3

Last car had a very slow puncture with a nail in the tread. I just topped up the pressure every month and before long trips. Almost as good as a plug 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've had plug repairs.  They're fine as long as the repair is not near the edge.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Last car had a very slow puncture with a nail in the tread. I just topped up the pressure every month and before long trips. Almost as good as a plug 😁

The small screw in my tyre recently did not affect the air pressure and could of left it for a while. Though over a period as the tyre wear down it will be push further in, while I got the kit and know how to do the repair, might as well. 

31 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

I've had plug repairs.  They're fine as long as the repair is not near the edge.

Local tyre guy said to me even near the edge is ok. Only on side wall, it could bulge.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 8:26 PM, Eddiefh said:

The nail was definitely what I’d call on top of the tread apposed to what I’d call in the tread where the wear markers are and it’s a rear tyre which makes me feel safer 

On the wear marker it's fine to plug too, tyre guy done it on my tyre. 

Just to add for those looking to get the kit similar to what I posted; the rubber strips that came with the kit can be difficult to push in as its a bit big in diameter. I went on and bought just the strip at 3.5mm and it's much easier to push through. Was a little concern as the strip looked a bit thin, but it's good and easy to push in. A tip is to buy the 3.5mm 20cm and cut in half, 10cm is all that it require, doubling numbers. 

Got 60 strips for under £10 at the time, now it's about £10. Don't think I can use it all in my lifetime haha. Am planning to give the kit with them as presents. 

Plug kit again

Rubber strips

This may help those who may want to give it a go in the future. The satisfaction of being able to it yourself, for family/friends is great. Like those of you that can do repairs on your own car. 

If the air leak is maybe not a nail/screw and it's not obvious to see, tyre need to be pumped up and use a few drops of washing up liquid in a small water bottle to locate the puncture. Think most of you will already know this. 

The plugs that are not with a mushroom head I only use on a wheelbarrow.

Just think you doing 70MPH down the motorway and the rubber plug gives waY and blows out dont you value your safty.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links