Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Headlight Bulbs

NeilAvensisT

Morning all and happy new year.  Has anyone upgraded their headlight bulbs? I did on my previous car (Jaguar X Type) as they were about as good as having candles; I used Osram Nightbreakers. The Avensis standard units are much better, but just wondered if anyone had changed?

hi, from my old cars each time i upgrade them to something else they just didn't last long, so with my avensis i stay with the original.

if you want you can order this one: i have new 2 spare of them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I3OTXHA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeilAvensisT said:

Osram Nightbreakers

1 hour ago, avensis_2018 said:

they just didn't last long

I have to agree. They are brighter but one must prepare to change them more often.

I tried those two years ago and after three months the other one was already burnt.

It was actually less than three months...

• Like 2

Is an Avensis a H4 fitting?

I stay with the original but i put new ones, the original were still working good, took them out after 5 years, the original are philips. I bought a new set white ones wants to put them but i decied to leave them, to have them ad just for spare.

The original can last 5 years easy.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NeilAvensisT said:

Is an Avensis a H4 fitting?

Suppose your car has a halogen bulbs... so the low beam bulbs are H11

Think the halogen bulbs are H11 dipped beam and HB3 main beam.

The trade off for brighter bulbs is a shorter life. Having said that I've used various versions of Oxfam Nightbreakers since 1998, and always got at least 2-3 years life out of them.

For example the nearside cornering light in our I20 has gone in the last few days - Philips X-treme Pro +150% - after 2 years 9 months of use, whereas the Nightbreaker Laser +150% headlight bulbs are still OK after the same period.

• Like 2

I recently had to replace one my headlight bulbs. As mentioned they are H11. I discovered the left light was not working and replaced it within a couple of hours on Sunday. I reviewed all the prices and Halfords was actually doing a good deal on their original H11 bulbs, so I bought a pair. 
When researching the prices at various sites including motor factors, some were a little misleading if not read carefully. Some were bringing up HB3 or H9 type bulbs within the headlight. This is why you need to check the owners manual that came with your car! The HB3 or H9 bulbs are for the high beam. My car 2009 T27 uses H11 for the dipped beam and HB3 for the high beam. I notice that from later revisions use H9 for the high beam, from the owners manual of later revised Avensis 2011 - onwards. As I said, check the owners manual or remove and check the bulb. 

Changing the dip beam bulb is a little fiddly on the left hand side, due to the air intake. The right hand side is easier. At least you don't need to dismantle the front or remove headlight unit to change the bulb, unlike other cars these days! I stayed with standard, because I have no problems seeing and the performance for me is okay. I could mention eye health. One time many years ago, I spotted something whilst driving in the dark, and my friend told me he could hardly see it. That was despite I wear glasses and he did not need glasses. These days, I think that harsh bluish lights are more harmful, especially from badly aimed headlights and aftermarket fitments, some which are probably illegal!    

Edited by Konrad C
additional words
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, avetoy said:

Suppose your car has a halogen bulbs... so the low beam bulbs are H11

For T27 cars fitted with halogen bulbs, H11 is standard for dipped beam. for high beam HB3 (for the early T27) or H9 for facelift. Check the owners manual that comes with the car, or view the print on the back of the bulb using a mirror. Gas discharge bulbs are D4S. The light bulb specifications are in section 6-1 of the owners manual.  

• Like 2

Thank you all for your input. I will replace them; its just something I have done previously. I will let you know how I get on and whether (I think) its worth it.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links