Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie T27

Yourbunny

Hi everyone. Just bought 2012 Avensis 2.0 CVT. Previous owner did nothing with cvt in terms of liquid or oil change. Odometer is 150000km already. Some say that I have to do full cvt oil change, some say partially and some say that I just need to add some cvt liquid in transmission. What is the right way to do? Thanks in advance. Sorry for my english I'm not a native speaker.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Yourbunny said:

Hi everyone. Just bought 2012 Avensis 2.0 CVT. Previous owner did nothing with cvt in terms of liquid or oil change. Odometer is 150000km already. Some say that I have to do full cvt oil change, some say partially and some say that I just need to add some cvt liquid in transmission. What is the right way to do? Thanks in advance. Sorry for my english I'm not a native speaker.

If want to change it see if it's leaking bad I'm not sure but in going 2 change my 6 speed gearbox oil with genuine Toyota oil and I looked at a guy Scotty kilmer on YouTube doing gear oil he said take out old oil measure it and put the same amount of new stuff back. But take off the fill bolt first then the other one .I'm not sure but think overfilling gear oil is worse than to little oil so they say I don't know 

47 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

If want to change it see if it's leaking bad I'm not sure but in going 2 change my 6 speed gearbox oil with genuine Toyota oil and I looked at a guy Scotty kilmer on YouTube doing gear oil he said take out old oil measure it and put the same amount of new stuff back. But take off the fill bolt first then the other one .I'm not sure but think overfilling gear oil is worse than to little oil so they say I don't know 

It is not leaking. At least no visible leakage. I spoke with dealer and they told me that there is a special cvt fluid and all they can is to add it to my transmission. They stated that there is no specific interval for cvt oil change. Sounds strange to me to be honest. Any ideas what is a cvt fluid? When I asked them if they mean cvt oil by calling it fluid, they said no, it is special cvt fluid. Confused.

5 hours ago, Yourbunny said:

It is not leaking. At least no visible leakage. I spoke with dealer and they told me that there is a special cvt fluid and all they can is to add it to my transmission. They stated that there is no specific interval for cvt oil change. Sounds strange to me to be honest. Any ideas what is a cvt fluid? When I asked them if they mean cvt oil by calling it fluid, they said no, it is special cvt fluid. Confused.

Well I would not add if there is a fill screw and a drain screw think I'd rather put in genuine Toyota fluid for the car .this is the fluid Toyota gave 2 me for my 6 speed manual 20220930_155321.thumb.jpg.6ddf6e7db22781ef2ba1a5d95d90184e.jpg

Hi, you don't need to change or add any to a cvt transmision, ask toyota, it's lifetime no oil change needed. If you change after 150k it can make problems and you dont want to start with transmision problems . i say just don't.

I own BMW as well and it also states that there is a lifetime oil however ZF states that oil change is required. Weird. Okay. Moving to other problem.

I sick and tired of my windows up and down button on drivers controller. My windows worked randomly and sometimes just did not go up. I had to change the button internals with rear one. Is thete any other way to fix that? New controller is toooooo costy in dealership

• Like 1

This man is always right .lifetime oil means nothing change it .there no such thing .lifetime to the car dealers means lifetime of the warranty .

Old transmissions used pressure plates that wore over time depositing Debris into the fluid that needed to be changed over time.
CVT don’t use pressure plates in fact the fluid never comes in contact with any friction surface so no debris in the fluid except oxidation from the aluminum housing. The fluid there acts more like Hydraulic fluid in the it’s for cooling and moving a piston on the cvt housing. The oil itself it's high gear to last very long time in very hard operations So it's actully never need to be changed. 
if it's make your brain think about it all day thats it dirty, so change it.
take care.

• Like 1

@2009Joe, have a look at the Fuchs (Silkolene) Pro SRG 75 synthetic gearbox fluid, it is better than the stock mineral 75W oil supplied by Toyota. I have put it in two of mine, gives marginally better shifting when cold than the stock stuff. 

It has been documented on this forum before, albeit a while back. The box takes around 2.5 litres. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crofts2007 said:

@2009Joe, have a look at the Fuchs (Silkolene) Pro SRG 75 synthetic gearbox fluid, it is better than the stock mineral 75W oil supplied by Toyota. I have put it in two of mine, gives marginally better shifting when cold than the stock stuff. 

It has been documented on this forum before, albeit a while back. The box takes around 2.5 litres. 

Thanks I might take a look at that stuff it's. Just love with this car compared to my last o my one I'd rather put in all genuine Toyota parts but thanks for the info

• Like 1

I'm the same, had three T25 2.0 diesel and two T27 2.0 diesel. Unfortunately this one will be my last as i'm not entertaining one of the BMW engined models. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links