Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Goes into Gear But won’t Drive

DJDAN1406

Hi so I recently purchased an MR2 as a project car was originally a non runner but managed to get her running again now I’m having issue with getting the car to drive.

It goes into gear in which the linkages move and I hear the gears moving but it won’t move at all and I just can’t seem to get drive.

I’m assuming that it’s a clutch issue but just wondering if anyone has any advice

Many thanks 👍

Hi Daniel.

It does sound as though your problem is clutch related from your desciption. How long has it been since the vehicle was last running properly?

Many years ago a school friend of mine bought an old MK1 850cc Mini as a non runner, the clutch had failed. A friend of ours was well connected with one of the local scrapyards and got hold of 2nd hand clutch that was supposed to be a good one. Learning curve for me and my mate as we we're both on our first cars. We replaced the old clutch with the good one put it back together. Huge disappointment after though as when it was started and a gear engaged it wouldn't move. Lots of head scratching, gearbox out again and rechecking but no good.

Had a word with our friend who came back with advise from the scrap dealer. The clutch was ok but likely needed to be "burnt in" to the existing pressure plate/flywheel. Never thought for one minute it would work but he was right. After lots of revving, smoke and an awful stink the old Mini slowly began to move when clutch was let up and car in gear.

Put this all down to the Mini and the replacement clutch having been unused for ages and contaminated with oily deposits plus rust on the pressure plate and flywheel. He got the vehicle on the road and used it for quite a while afterwards.

Could this be your problem Daniel?

2 hours ago, DerekHa said:

Hi Daniel.

It does sound as though your problem is clutch related from your desciption. How long has it been since the vehicle was last running properly?

Many years ago a school friend of mine bought an old MK1 850cc Mini as a non runner, the clutch had failed. A friend of ours was well connected with one of the local scrapyards and got hold of 2nd hand clutch that was supposed to be a good one. Learning curve for me and my mate as we we're both on our first cars. We replaced the old clutch with the good one put it back together. Huge disappointment after though as when it was started and a gear engaged it wouldn't move. Lots of head scratching, gearbox out again and rechecking but no good.

Had a word with our friend who came back with advise from the scrap dealer. The clutch was ok but likely needed to be "burnt in" to the existing pressure plate/flywheel. Never thought for one minute it would work but he was right. After lots of revving, smoke and an awful stink the old Mini slowly began to move when clutch was let up and car in gear.

Put this all down to the Mini and the replacement clutch having been unused for ages and contaminated with oily deposits plus rust on the pressure plate and flywheel. He got the vehicle on the road and used it for quite a while afterwards.

Could this be your problem Daniel?

Hi, thanks for the advice I’ll give that a go before going any further. 

The cars been sat for at least 18 months before I purchased it this week and hadn’t been started in that time but I believe it’s likely to have been longer as it’s been out of MOT for 6 years so that’s how long I’d assume 

If you can get it in gear with the engine running, the clutch should be ok

I would suspect a stripped drive shaft, if it's an open diff a slipping/stripped driveshaft will cause no drive as will a blown diff

Get the rear end in the air and inspect the drive shafts and boots - if you can and it's safe to do so (chock the front wheels, rear on stands) - start the engine and stick it in first and see if the wheels turn

next step is to drop the gearbox oil and see if it has any glitter in it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DJDAN1406 said:

The cars been sat for at least 18 months before I purchased it this week and hadn’t been started in that time but I believe it’s likely to have been longer as it’s been out of MOT for 6 years so that’s how long I’d assume 

Hi again Daniel,

I see that Flash has pitched in with some sound advice. His knowledge/experience is extensive and most likely more appropriate than mine.

18 months would be a long time to be off the road and unused but 6 years is excessive and you could have a number of issues at work there.

By the way, if you have the mark 2 car they're still a really striking looking motor!

Let us all know how you get on Daniel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2023 at 1:20 PM, DJDAN1406 said:

It goes into gear in which the linkages move and I hear the gears moving but it won’t move at all and I just can’t seem to get drive.

I’m assuming that it’s a clutch issue but just wondering if anyone has any advice

What does the clutch pedal feel like? Normal resistance?

Immediately it sounds like a clutch cylinder, either master or slave, is stuck disengaged (depressed pedal).

If the car has been stood for a longer time then it's usually a good idea to give the clutch cylinders a rebuild (or at least a strip down and clean).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links